Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
sungod

by sungod

veganeric wrote:Have either of you (or anyone else) tried transferring it to a squeeze bottle, as I've seen some mechanics do? I imagine that would eliminate the problem, as the small surface area of the tip could easily be cleaned off with solvant before recapping. This would have the added benefit of making application easier.

haven't tried it, but those guys use loads of the stuff so it's probably not in the bottle for long

fwiw we used to decant fibre cleaning solvents into squeezy dispenser bottles for ease of use and to avoid contaminating the main containers, 'sealed' and left alone the bottles emptied themselves fairly fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

veganeric

by veganeric

Good to know. I guess I'll stick to the single use tubes. Thanks again!

Geoff

by Geoff

Some of those guys also use a thinner to make the glue easier to pour from their bottles. I personally wouldn't recommend emulating that bit of pro mechanic lore. We used to do that with Clement 'Red' glue, too.

@astranoc, I don't believe in 'sanding' the rims, though lots of other 'old-timers' probably still do it. It is enough to clean the rim well before starting your glue job. The trick is to use several (I prefer many) thin, even layers, letting the glue cure between applications. I prefer overnight. I like to apply two layers to the basetape, but it depends upon the tire. The new Conti Comps seem to want more. I put the last layer on the basetape, not the rim, but either probably works.

As a spare, I just use an old tubular that I have removed. I redo the basetape glue and let it dry overnight before folding and carrying it under the saddle.
Last edited by Geoff on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

Multi-post...
Last edited by Geoff on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

Multi-post...

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Some of those guys also use a thinner to make the glue easier to pour from their bottles. I personally wouldn't recommend emulating that bit of pro mechanic lore. We used to do that with Clement 'Red' glue, too.

Rim cement is a carefully formulated mix of chemicals. By adding other chemicals such as thinners you're actually changing the formula. No one can predict the outcome so don't do it.

Contact cements such as tubular glue work by static adhesion. For as long as a rim is grease free it will stick. You use multiple thin layers as anchors for the next layer.

The base layer should be fully set and cured which usually takes 24 hours. This your anchor layer onto which all consequent layers attach. It is the most important layer in the entire process.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

@astranoc: here is a good step by step on folding a tubular:

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f7 ... -2283.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure it's been posted a few times, but what the heck, it's a new season....

thprice

by thprice

Hopefully not too far off topic...is anyone taking this approach to tubular spares?
http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2011/10/gold-standard-gear-best-tubular-spare.html

sungod

by sungod

i use a tufo elite jet <160g, it's got a bit of protection

still rolls up not too much bigger than a standard butyl inner tube, ok in a jersey pocket with minitool etc.

tufo vs. creditcard sized thing vs. conti race 28 tube

Geoff

by Geoff

Hmmmmm. That rolls-up pretty small. Sure a lot more compact than an old Conti Comp...

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I've been carrying a Tufo "S3 Lite < 195g" (this is the 19mm model) around for a year. Fits into a tool bottle nicely, with most of the other things needed. S3 lite looks great for a spare, though.

astranoc

by astranoc

I've put the second layer on the rims and now it's completely dry, should it be sticky to touch or it's normal that is that dry?
Now.. should I put a thin layer on both the rim and the tyre or just the tyre is enough?

Btw thank you all for the awesome help in this thread, few months ago gluing tyres was something that I would avoid doing myself but now it doesn't look that bad!

Geoff

by Geoff

Nope. If properly dried overnight, it should appear quite dry to touch. Looks are deceiving, though.

I like to put the last layer of fresh glue on the basetape. I believe it helps me get the tire over the last bit of rim and helps me centre the tire. I know lots of others put it on the rim bed. I think either will work fine.

astranoc

by astranoc

Thanks again. I am ready to put the last layer, but I noticed on some spots on the bead of the rim there are parts with more glue making the surface uneven. Am I overthinking this or I have to clear the extra glue? If i have to clear it, do I just scrape it away?

sungod

by sungod

it'll be fine, the force of mounting and inflating will squish out those minor irregularities

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com