Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!

by 11.4

Calnago wrote:There are over 3000 posts to this thread. I guess you have to expect a bit of wandering off the beaten path now and then. :)

Oh, I certainly wasn't expecting a continuity over 3000 posts. I was just referring to the last four or five. It seemed there was a question being raised but no one was quite raising it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I can see your point 11.4. I "think" the gist of the last few posts is 1) there are many ways to glue a tubular; but 2) there is no point in creating a bond between the base tape and rim that is stronger than the bond between the tire and base tape.
Not sure if any real questions were being raised.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Zoro

by Zoro

11.4 wrote:... What is the point being made? I'm intrigued by the contributors and their perspectives; I just seem to be missing something here.
Anything about glue as it relates to tubulars is on topic.

For me my point was (similar to yours) - it depends.
There is such a thing as too adhesive as there is not adhesive enough.

Why did I raise the latter point? Well I ran out of glue and found a mechanic that claimed he glues pro team tires. Without me really asking he went on about how his method takes a long time and is really a very good bond to the tire. To which I politely paid for the glue and left. But...it got me thinking how that is the opinion of many - that the tighter the bond the better. So - I felt the need to share - and, I was not about to read 3,000 posts to see if my view had been mentioned by others. I rather doubt in 3,000 post much has not been mentioned.

svennn

by svennn

I glued my first set of tubular tire a year ago and had a few problems I would like to correct this time around. I'm using Conti Sprinter tires on 650c H3 wheels. I added sealant before I glued them on and some leaked. I believe it weakened the bond near the valve. First lesson learned, don't use preventive sealant before glue.

Because of that I ended up with a small tear from a loose bond in that area. When inflating the tire the stem moves, the core got clogged and needed to be replaced. I'm going to order a new Sprinter and try again.

Any special tips for gluing around the stem area?

Geoff

by Geoff

Sorry, what do you mean by a 'small tear'. If you are talking about the base tape, I would not worry about it too much. If you are talking about the tube tearing at the stem, obviously that is more of a problem.

I think that it is important to ensure that the valve fits neatly into the rim, if you are having that issue. There is lots of commentary on this Thread about trimming the base tape around the valve stem to ensure a good fit. You may have that problem with your particular rim, too.

With respect to sealant, I would not recommend using sealant for tubular tires.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

How do you guys go about the actual glueing ?

For the rims, I do a dab of glue every 10cm or so, then with a 1cm wide brush gently down the center of the rim but not pushing too hard, otherwise all the glue goes to the sides. Next, use the side of the brush on each side of the rimbed.

For the tires, i do criss cross pattern. A string of glue on left side of basetape, then continue from there with a string of glue on right side of the basetape. Next use the side of the brush to coat one side of the base tape, then the other side of the base tape and finish with the center.

I found this way it's easier to get the glue evenly on either sides. and faster.

sungod

by sungod

i just dip the brush in the glue and apply to rim/basetape - using cheapo flux brushes

three thin coats on a clean glue-free rim, one on basetape; if the rim is already glued then check for any dodgy patches and if ok just one coat on rim+tape to mount the replacement

i'm tempted to try using a disposable syringe to apply glue and then brush in, might be faster, but i've not done it so far

Geoff

by Geoff

Personally, I prefer to just use my finger wrapped in a sheet of poly. I find I get much better control of the spreading of glue evenly across the rim bed than with an acid or other brush. Same goes for the tire basetape. The secret is getting the layers of glue down thinly and evenly. Your finger will do the best job.

sawyer

by sawyer

Similar method to you strobbekoen, though remembering the outer parts of the rim bed is where glue is most needed

It is quite hard to avoid completely glue in some spoke holes I find. Quite appealing the new Bora type rim bed for us glue-ers
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

eurperg

by eurperg

Magic Mastik video from Vittoria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCvi09Ogo9k

Looks almost too good to be true, what are your thoughts? Anybody already tried Magic Mastik?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Never even heard of it. It does seem too good to be true. And it's "self centering". It really is magic.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sungod

by sungod

wow

presumably it's slippery and slow drying, hence the self-centering behaviour

from the video it looked like it wouldn't be good if you needed to change a tub on the road, as i think the glue was destroyed by pulling the tub, that pretty much rules it out for me

list is c. 15 euro giving enough for two tubs, who's trying it first?

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

well well that is interesting.
willing to give it a try.

TuplaO

by TuplaO

Yes, it does look like magic, especially considering the hassle of an old-fashioned glue job. However, to a layman it seems plausible that adhesives have in fact moved forward by quite a bit. Maybe the traditional glues have been obsolete for a while now, as far as modern 'technology' goes. Still, positive real-world experiences will be the thing that will do it for me.

yth1691

by yth1691

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com