Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Shoe polish doesn't sound like the best idea, so something else?!

You could use Dylon fabric colouring powder. Just pour the powder into a pot of hot water and brush it onto the base tape.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Milese

by Milese

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Shoe polish doesn't sound like the best idea, so something else?!

You could use Dylon fabric colouring powder. Just pour the powder into a pot of hot water and brush it onto the base tape.

Cheers, ;)

Thanks. Before or after gluing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It's easier to apply prior to gluing but both ways should be fine.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

StrapOn

by StrapOn

beatle wrote:Just glued up my first tubbie. A veloflex arenburg to a enve 65 classic rim. I stripped the old glue, put on two coats of mastik on the rim, two coats on the tire, then one last coat on the tire before mounting. After a spin by hand on the rim, the tread looks straight and no lumpiness. Being picky, I do see that the tread everywhere is ever so slightly turned towards one side. Or a better explanation is that the base tape on one side of the rim is just ever so slightly more exposed than the other side.
I took my time over several days and learned a lot just after one attempt. Thanks to many here for their tips. First light ride tomorrow and hopefully a RR this weekend.

I'm having a similar problem with a batch of 23mm corsas it's as if when inflated they are trying to curl up on one side. Anyone had similar?

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Experience Vittoria Magic Mastik...

Who has experience with the Magic Mastic for more than 500 miles ?? I like to try it on my Dura Ace C24 wheels but I am a bit afraid it won't hold in the rain like one review said. The benefit of the glue is when it's not satisfying, it removes easily from the rims :)

helldiver

by helldiver

~3000 miles on Vittoria Open Corsa SLs glued to Campagnolo Bora One (glued with vittoria magic mastik), including 80kmh+ downhills, tight turns and soaking rain (although i experienced that only once with this setup), no problems so far.

Geoff

by Geoff

:thumbup:

PinaRene

by PinaRene

helldiver wrote:~3000 miles on Vittoria Open Corsa SLs glued to Campagnolo Bora One (glued with vittoria magic mastik), including 80kmh+ downhills, tight turns and soaking rain (although i experienced that only once with this setup), no problems so far.

Good to hear that it works, ordered 2 sets of glue myself to give it a try. I have a traditional setup on my DA C50 wheels with Vittoria Mastik one with brand new Vittoria EVO CX 25mm, and on my DA C24 wheelset I will try the Magic Mastik.

Also ordered 8x Vittoria EVO CS 25mm tubulars for the next few years :wink:

are

by are

A question ... just glued my first tubulars. The gluing was easy. Did 3 thin layers on the rims, the last one right before mounting, plus two thin coats on the tires. I had a hard time mounting the tires straight, so I re-did the front about 5-10 minutes after it had started to set. I broke the adhesive bonds that had set so I could better center the tire. Very tiring on the hands. Is this a problem? I figured 10 mins would be soon enough not to matter, but I definitely don't want to roll my front tire because I'm an idiot. Using Mastik One on Hed Stinger 5's w/ Velofex Carbons.

Thanks!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Not a problem. You are fine.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Geoff

by Geoff

I agree with Calnago. You should be ok. Question. What size tires did you use on the rear for that Hed? One of the great pieces of feedback that I got from my Pro Tour friends is that the Hed has a really high rim edge that caused a lot of pinch-flats. The use of a 25mm rear solved that problem. I use a 25mm on the rear for Hed wheels and have never had a problem.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Today I did my 2nd glue job, this time it was a wheelset of myself. The first one was for a friend of mine who still is happy with the result. The tires stay on the wheels very firm, although he had 2 flats in 2 rides ( sealant did the job ). With his 93 Kg he is not the lightest person and he lives near Maastricht - the hilly part of the Netherlands.

Like the video was showing I started with cleaning the wheels and used aceton to clean the bastape of the tires. Then aplied the glue from the applicator and used my finger to spread it all over the rim. It wasn't easy to get all of the glue out of the applicator - at least 2 or 3 ml left in each tube, but when the tires were placed on the rim and inflated @ 10 bar the glue came underneath the tire. After this episode it was time to spread / get off the excess glue and to clean the rim of with some water and a towel.

Hope to ride later this week to see if everything stays on. Will love to ride the wheels in the Alps this summer, but only if confident in the glue. Otherwise I will switch back to the Vittoria Mastik One.

Pro :

* Fast - just one layer of glue to apply
* Self centering - ideal - inflate up to 11 bar and the tire slides in place ( never had that with Mastik one. )
* No glue risidue like Mastik One or other glue , this is transparant.

disadvantage : Are there any ?

* To get all of the glue out of the applicator is a pain in the ass, not easy to do. For the DA7850 wheels it was just enough ( for a wider wheelset it might be required )
* Not to cheap , like Mastik One or other glue.

I will keep you guys updated.

are

by are

@Geoff ... using 23mm Veloflex carbons on front and back. The tires look reasonable on the wheels, but I will keep in mind your point. I thought about 25mm Arenbergs; maybe would have been a better idea. I guess I'll find out ...

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Well I tried the 'windex' method and whilst it gave me all the time I needed to get the tyre running 99% true.......... it didn't stick too well. Didn't follow the 3+3 layers went with 1 one on the tyre & 3 on the rim. Anyway nothing lost really, another layer on the rim and banged the tyre on. At least I know this will work.
BB

Coffee & carbon

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Update on Vittoria Magic Mastik:

It had been 2 days ago that I've glued the tubular tires with the Vittoria Magic Mastik. As shown in the youtube film I've cleaned the side of the tires/rim with a cloth and a bit of water - so far no problems. The only thing is that the side of the tubular tire is still ( 2 days later ) a bit sticky - and that's is bothering me a bit. Also I let the air out on both tubular tires to check if they where glued properly and I can say that it is almost perfect. Just on the rear tubular there are 2 spots of 1 to 2 cm that had no contact on one side of the rim, so I will let some glue slide in there to make it work.

Next update will follow next week - hope to ride them if weather stays okay. Did a little 45K ride yesterday with my C50 wheels / Fresh Vittoria Cora CX 25mm / Vittoria Mastik one and it was a perfect ride after a lot of rides on alu clincher wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com