Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
thomas

by thomas

Here is mine procedure, which took me some time to figured it out and it works perfect.

Gluing tire with a base coat already on a rim

Step 1: Clean and inspect the rim for aces glue
Step 2: Apply a single coat of glue and let it dry for 6 hours
That way you want have problems adjusting the tire
Step3: Put the tire on and inflate to 1.5-2 bars
Step 4: adjust tire using
All the way from the edge of the rim and a point(edge) of the tire.
So when it start to go up or down on one side you can adjust it accordingly with more precision.

Tire is now straight, no hoping and no way you can pull it off with just your hands. I am doing a lot of descent, even at 90kmh, hard breaking and cornering and no problems. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hockinsk

by hockinsk

I was wondering what type of methods and stitch types people use for sewing up a repaired tub. I just use a basic over-under /|/|/|/|/| pattern through the existing holes, but occasionally the repair ends up with a bulge. Also I know people use dental floss as thread sometimes, anyone used this before?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Use the same stitching pattern as used on the original tyre and keep it tight enough in order not to face any bulges after the job's done.
Too tight and you'll have a dip. not tight enough will end up in a bulge...

Mind you, happened to me as well when I thought I'd done some fine sewing just to be appalled by the sight of a bulge later on.
Even redid to flaming thing on one occasion. Still no good.

Anyway, don't worry.

You're still on my list of candidates for my tubular knitting club membership early 2050. :D

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Geoff

by Geoff

Professional repair service: http://www.tirealert.com/

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Geoff wrote:Professional repair service: http://www.tirealert.com/

Hi,

But a butyl inner tube instead of a latex one?

Thanks but no thanks, I'd rather pour some liquid latex in and be done with it or repair the flamin' thing by hand myself.

Now if Tirealert would fit the latex inner tube of my choice it would be a different story...If I lived in the US of A.

Ciao, ;)

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

Since this is the "tubular thread"....has anyone tried the new Conti Giros? They look cooler...all black...cheap. Haven't seen an actual photo of one yet, however. Good training choice? The old ones were garbage, at best.

old:

new:

jjmstang

by jjmstang

The Giro looks like it doesn't have any type of anti-puncture belt on it. If that's the case then I would think it's a very bad choice for a training tire.

John
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

hockinsk

by hockinsk

By most opinions, the Giro is one of the lumpiest tubular you can buy. Still you could get through 8-10 of them for the same price as a pair of CX,s, so maybe puncture protection is not such an issue at that price?

Might buy these new ones and see if they are improved. I suspect apart from the tread, the carcass is the same as it always was.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I must be the ultimate snob, I'd even consider Conti Comps as training tubulars I'd rather avoid training on.....

P.S. Why ride tubulars that ride like mediocre clinchers anyway?

Taz

by Taz

hockinsk wrote:I was wondering what type of methods and stitch types people use for sewing up a repaired tub. I just use a basic over-under /|/|/|/|/| pattern through the existing holes, but occasionally the repair ends up with a bulge. Also I know people use dental floss as thread sometimes, anyone used this before?

I use an X pattern XXXXXX which basically means sewing /|/|/|/|/|/| one way and then \|\|\|\|\|\| the other way.
Most of the times I get the repair perfect but some times I have to redo it if I get a bulge or a dip (which is a major pain...)
I used to use dental floss with excellent results but Francois from FMB sent me some thread so now I use that one. When I use it all up (not too soon I hope) I am back to dental floss.

AssosFables

by AssosFables

ElDuderino wrote:Since this is the "tubular thread"....has anyone tried the new Conti Giros? They look cooler...all black...cheap.

I've got one here (to use as a spare) and despite the picture the base tape is a light tan colour not black (like the Competitions) so you get a thin ring of this showing when the tyre is mounted.

Not a problem if you're not fussed about the looks, but still something not clear from Conti's pictures.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Following on from stitching patterns, I wonder if anyone knows of an affordable sewing machine that could reproduce the Vittoria or Veloflex stitching patterns? I believe http://www.tirealert.com/ re-stitches the entire circumference using such a machine? From school textiles lessons I remember you could adjust the pitch of the stitch, so theoretically one could match up the pattern to the existing holes again maybe?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Matching the pattern is not the problem, tensioning the thread correctly is.

Taz

by Taz

+1
I never had a problem using the X pattern mentioned above regardless of the original pattern of the tire. My problem was always the correct tension.
If you make it too loose you end with a bump, if you make it too tight you have a dip in your tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hockinsk

by hockinsk

There's a good sewing machine suppliers near me, i'm going to take a tubular with me and ask what they would advise. My theory is that once you have one, you might as well just re-sew the complete carcass instead of just a small section? So long as tension is high and even, it should offer a nice bulge/dip - free repair.