Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It is. Few shops that do ship Mastik One to Latvia have high shipping prices and not much other stuff to purchase along

I think you or someone else from Latvia asked this before IIRC.
Anyway, if I can help, let me know. 8)

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

allardklijnstra

by allardklijnstra

Hey all,

I glued a pair tubular wheels today:
I did one layer of vitoria kit on the rim, then used jantex rimtape on it.
then i putted on the tubular (without any glueing) on the rim to press the rimtape on the rim.
waited 24 hours and took of the tubular, then i glued the tubular and took of the rimtape protection and putted on the tubular.

This should allow an great seal and when i take off the tubular and the rimtape the rim should be faily clean.

I hope you get it, but has anyone done it like this? Any thoughts?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Jantex is a textile strip covered in Tubasti rim cement (not a very good cement) which is formulated entirely different from most current popular cements such as Vittoria's Mastik One and Continental.
Bottom line: the combination of a cement other than Tubasti and Jantex can be potentially dangerous as there's no way to guarantee a good bond.

All in all you could either just use the Jantex tape on it's own (not so great and not that light) which has the sole advantage of allowing you to align the tubular before pulling off the paper strip (which invariably tears somewhere along the process).

Or use a decent rim cement and join the real men..... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allardklijnstra

by allardklijnstra

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Or use a decent rim cement and join the real men..... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)

I Always used real cement :p but my mechanic recommended this way so it's trial and error i guess. A friend of mine is running this setup on track wheels with sprinting tubulars. Let's see what happens!

timeforheroes

by timeforheroes

Some what of a lurker here previously.

I usually glue my own tubulars, but this time, I spilt some Stans on the tire 9after having 2 coats of glue).

I wiped it all off as best as I could and proceeded to finish the glue job. Im letting it cure right now, but was curious for some advice if the glue job / adhesiveness will be negotiated.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Have done this once myself on my rear tire. Wiped off the sealant let it dry for a few hours and then proceeded to re glue the tire. It's been on there for 3500km solid as a rock, so no need to worry IMO

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

asdf123

by asdf123

What are you talking about with the sealant? Are you removing the tub for sealing and then reglueing it?

timeforheroes

by timeforheroes

CulBaire wrote:Have done this once myself on my rear tire. Wiped off the sealant let it dry for a few hours and then proceeded to re glue the tire. It's been on there for 3500km solid as a rock, so no need to worry IMO

Sounds good. I didnt let it dry for that long, but proceeded to finish the glue job and am letting them cure for 24 + hours at full PSI.

:thumbup:

timeforheroes

by timeforheroes

asdf123 wrote:What are you talking about with the sealant? Are you removing the tub for sealing and then reglueing it?

No, I had prepped the tire for gluing. However, I wanted to put a bit of stans sealant into the tubular tire before putting it on the rim. I spilled some of the stans sealant on the tire, which got on the glue.

Its a new tire, new glue etc. I just made a poorly timed decision about when to apply the stans sealant.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Most top range tubulars have their base tape (and sidewalls) coated in latex .
There used to be instructions coming along with these telling you to scrape off the latex prior to applying cement to them.
And so we did. It makes for a better bond.

Just informing you. No need to get one's panty in a bunch over a drop of latex on a rim bed though. :lol:

Ciao, ;)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Its a new tire, new glue etc. I just made a poorly timed decision about when to apply the stans sealant.

It sure is a fine way to ruin a perfectly good tub. :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Lolol. #toagetubsornot #thegreatdebate

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Glued my tubular wheels last week because the nice weather is early this year. They have been on rims during the winter to rest and stretch. The wheels were pre glued with Vittoria Mastik so they just needed another layer of glue after I did the tires.

On the C24 25mm Vittoria EVO 3 Pro edition.
On the C50 25mm Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp R compount ( test version - not on the market 8) )

Another tip to get the tubular tires perfectly true on the rim:

Put the tires on the rims and inflate them to ride pressure.
Circle arround the rim on the base of the tubular tire with a fine marker after the tubular is perfect on the rim. Now remove the tubular tire and glue between the lines and then attach them to the rims. You can see where the line is to make them perfectly true on the rim.

JAGGY

by JAGGY

Top tip with the marker pen to get a true tyre. Brilliant thanks. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Still, the 'trick' with getting the tire on straight...is getting the tire on straight. You will still need to get the tire straight before you draw your lines. Make sure you look at the centre of the tread itself, not the basetape or the edge of the tread.