Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Greg66

by Greg66

I have just used Tufo Rim Cleaner to remove Tufo tape residue from the rim bed.

It rocks! Amazing stuff!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Had no idea it even existed...
Does the bottle say what chemicals are involved?

TIA, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Greg66

by Greg66

I don't think so - I had a quick look but couldn't see much to disclose composition. I'll have another look later.

It appears not to have affected or removed the glue that was under the tape, which is doubly impressive.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

fdegrove wrote:Does the bottle say what chemicals are involved?

Google is your friend.
13 page Safety Data Sheet:
ftp://213.154.242.228/PRIVATE%20LABEL/TUFO/SAFETY%20DATA%20SHEET/160%20%5Ben_GB%5D%20TUFO%20Gluing%20tape%20remover%201.00.pdf

Solvent naphtha
(petroleum), light arom.

(2-methoxymethylethoxy)
propanol

Human health hazards
May cause cancer. May cause heritable genetic damage. Also harmful: may cause
lung damage if swallowed. Irritating to respiratory system. Repeated exposure may
cause skin dryness or cracking. Vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It appears not to have affected or removed the glue that was under the tape, which is doubly impressive.

Don't let the appearance fool you. As it contains naphta* (thanks HammerTime2) it quite likely reacted with the rim cement as well.
I'd remove the remainders of the rim cement and start afresh.

*That's extremely flammable stuff. I once burnt my entire left body side using it to clean a pick-up arm when I was a kid.

Ciao, ;)

latsride

by latsride

Quick newb question (yes, I've searched and browsed, but not finding what I need)

If a tire is glued on and is slightly misaligned - do you most of you reglue it or just deal with the 'thumping'? Nothing major or dangerous, but just enough to notice. Any recommendations?

Tire is a Zipp Tangente 21mm on 404 FC, held with Mastik 1. Bought it used, glued on tight from what I can tell.

Thanks!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Thumping would annoy me so I would sort it out.

NGMN

by NGMN

Can I get some input on tires? I want something semi affordable but with a nice ride and no wider than 23mm. The tires are for non firecrest 404s.

I'm debating between schwalbe milanos, vittoria corsa elite, and challenge mirage. The prices are close. I'm leaning towards the mirage but not a lot of reviews.

Geoff

by Geoff

While perhaps not the newest wheelset, those are still a pretty high-end set of race wheels. Accordingly, I would still recommend that you spend a few extra bucks on a better set of tires.

There is no reason to go 'whole-hog' and get a set of hand-made FMB or Dugast tires, though they are really nice. Any of the big manufacturers makes a decent set of race tires. If you are worried about the durability, the better tires are not necessarily more fragile.

I have had really good luck with the Conti Comps. Vittoria used to make the All-Weather, which was kind of like the Pave CG and was available in 22mm. Those were great shoes. The SC has a kind of similar tread pattern, though I have still not had any opportunity (read: nobody has given me any), so I cannot comment on how good they are. I have heard great reports, though.

NGMN

by NGMN

Thanks Geoff, the wheels came with a barely used 22 conti comp that I'm gluing on the rear, and then I decided to go with the corsa elite on the front for the winter. In the spring/summer the current tires will go to spare duty and both tires will be replaced with some nicer Vittoria or Challenge tubulars.

I am still curious about the mirage, sometimes it's nice to have a butyl tube in wheels that you ride more often but the weight on them is very good.

Geoff

by Geoff

Really? I'd just run the Conti Comps.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

+1

I've never understood and probably never will why anyone would want to run such different front and rear tyres on their bikes.

Cheers, ;)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The Vittoria Corsa SC has all the grip of the Pave brilliant tyres. Conti competitions seem very good too but I am running them in 25mm form. Not Sure I would like them so much in 22mm form.

I don't get why you want to run such different tyres front and rear either, hey ho it not my bike.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I wish I could get my tubulars mounted as perfectly as my LBS. They are so even that I get comments about how good they look.

When I mount tubulars I always seem to run out of strength during final positioning, so there is some unevenness. Since I average 3 to 4 tires per year, I just don't get enough practice.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

When I do my own tubs getting them even is a matter of patience not strength. Normally I run out of patience and leave it accepetable sometimes perfect. The reason why the LBS does them perfect (and the same goes if I am mounting tubs for someone else) is that customer will come back if a good job is done. That is a big incentive to get it right!Does your LBS use glue? I think the centring of a tub is easier with glue and then inflate the tyre to full pressure and overnight it become really stuck.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com