Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:12 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:43 pm 

I picked up an evo recently and am already looking to shave some weight. The aksium set it comes with can surely be improved upon when it comes to weight.

I've been doing some reading and searching and it seems a light aluminum clincher around the 1200-1300 gram range is achievable for very reasonable pricing. I start to get lost at where these sets are obtained as it seems most folks are buying the parts and either assembling themselves or having someone do it? Is there an online vendor that will allow you to pick out the parts and assemble for you?

I'm 150 lbs, don't necessarily need carbon rims unless they wouldn't be too much more price wise but if i understanding things correctly, they will be considerably more which has led me to believe aluminum is the way to go. I don't do a lot of descending. Purpose of the set is something lighter, don't really care about aero. I get kind of lost with all the different brands and widths available when trying to pick out parts. So what wheelset or parts to build up can you recommend?

Direction to Websites with info/products is appreciated.
Thanks all.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:43 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:24 pm 

These guys are well regarded. Ask them to suggest some options. http://www.novemberbicycles.com/custom/

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:29 pm 

I have 2 sets of clinchers both weigh around 1180grms the pair.
Set one I call my safe bet. They are very durable ,Stans rims AC hubs and rev spokes. These were built at Just riding along in the UK. 1182grms

MY set are Kinlin x200 rims sapim super spokes and dati sl hubs. These are very good but I do break the odd spoke even though the spoke count is higher. These are a wee bit lighter but more fragile.

I weigh around 80kilos [ low fat ]

Both were very cheap and definitely cannot tell the difference from some of the much more expensive production wheels I used to buy, mavic , topolino etc

Handbuilt is the way to go. I'm sure other WW will chip in.

The ultimate clinchers are fred Johnsons . You can get well under 800grms for a set . Awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:38 pm 

If you want to compare weights and specs, then this is a good site, and they have a build service. http://www.bikehubstore.com/

I worked up a build with Stans, Lasers and ultralite Bitex, and came up with 1238 g.

Pacenti SL 23 are better rims IMO and would build up to 1328 g.

There's a lot more than just weight to consider. And don't forget the biggest bang for the WW buck is in light tubes and tires.

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:35 pm 
in the industry

What spoke count is the Stans/AC build a 24F/28R with the V2 rim should be closer to 1300g.

Ryde Pulse sprint 24F/28R with extralite hub and laser or CX-ray spokes will be 1210g. This is not a fragile build and will handle 85kg rider without issue. Best done with the straight pull hubs though.

The thing with tyres is the Conti GP4000sII in 23mm is as light as practical at 205g while still retaining decent puncture resistance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:55 am 

it all comes down to rim weight, imo as the non-boutique hub options and spoke options have kind of stagnated around ~300g and 5g/spoke. A couple years ago, you could get a handful of sub 400g rim options with stan's alpha 340's leading the pack around 355g, but their second generation rims are easily 50g more, making it much harder to hit sub 1300g. With the advent of wide rims with >18mm internal width becoming popular, the other sub-400g options like kinlin xr19w's and xr200's have fallen out of favor. This means that we're left with:
Ryde Pulse Sprint (17.8mm int x 20mm deep, 395g, $135),
American Classic ACRD 2218 (18mm int x 18mm deep, 375g, $90), and
Stan's alpha 340 V2 (17mm int x 22.6 deep, 396g, $120) as the only remaining options.
You can get sub 300g rims with carbon tubulars, but the clincher versions at that depth are around 400ish grams, so you'd be better off saving your money for the alloy clinchers that cost 1/10th as much and offer much better braking performance.
If anybody knows of any other lightweight alloy rim options, I am all ears.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:46 am 

For off the shelf aluminium wheels and at the lower end of the price spectrum, then Fulcrum Racing Zero are all the rage where I ride. I must admit I've never ridden them...

On paper they are slightly heavier than what you want but the lateral stiffness, great hub and good price offset that a little.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:55 am 

kulivontot wrote:
hub options and spoke options have kind of stagnated around ~300g and 5g/spoke.

A Bitex Rar9/Raf10 hubset is 268g. These have been working quite well for me @ 75kg / decent power.
Novatec SL are also under 300, dirt cheap and probably more reliable than the boutique options.

She is not allowed to run spacers under the stem. It must look good. It must be slammed. She does Yoga and Crossfit so she is getting into a pro position whether she likes it or not. Lol. She thinks cycling is easy. She needs to be schooled.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:42 pm 
in the industry

Extralite hubs are 180g/pair so they trump everything. Carbon Ti are 224g/pair.

Getting under 1200g though is though. There is a 20H version of the ryde pulse sprint so that saves 20g in spokes. 1190g is therefore possible and if you are daft enough to go with the 24H symmetric rear with this rim you can get down to 1170g.

the rims are often 385g. AMerican classic have 310g alloy clinchers according to the catalogue in front of me 24F/24R.
With extralite hubs those wheels could be re built into something very light indeed ~1040g if the claimed weight of the rims is correct.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:34 am 

I am aware of the bitex/novatec options, both of which I recommend, but went for a conservative approximation of the weight. Spending $500 for hubs to drop another 50-90g seems like diminishing returns, imo, but I suppose at a point it becomes necessary to hit a specific target.
Amclassic used to make a stock ~1200g alloy wheelset called "road tubeless" for a little bit that had some crazy light rims, but they don't seem to advertise it anymore. Their magnesium wheelsets were of course the holy grail of lightweight non-carbon clinchers, but also don't seem to be available anymore. It's a shame that they reserve their crazy lightweight rims for their own wheelsets rather than making them available for custom wheelsets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:59 am 

RQBL2016 wrote:

Purpose of the set is something lighter, don't really care about aero.

School me on uber-light clinchers

I think you need to ask yourself, why you want a light wheelset. If it's purely related to the idea of having a light bike, then the above suggestions are what you should aim for.

But if it has ANYTHING to do with performance, you need to think it over. It's a myth, that weight is the most important factor to achieve performance. But weightreduction is somehow a mentally soothing way to cheat yourself into believing, that you'll get performance, because weight is very easily measured as opposed to aerodynamics.

Just my 50 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:03 pm 

Dude, you're on weight weenies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:34 pm 

True, but aero is the new light weight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:21 pm 

i want a light wheelset because i'm trying to enjoy making my bike lighter and to compliment my riding, which consists entirely of me riding solo a few days a week in a KOM jersey trying to find as many hills in my area and pretending to attack hard like a doped climber when i get half way up.

I don't do group rides and I do not race. I'm probably slower than most here, but i ride as hard as I can and love every minute of it.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:21 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:38 pm 

bm0p700f wrote:
What spoke count is the Stans/AC build a 24F/28R with the V2 rim should be closer to 1300g.

Ryde Pulse sprint 24F/28R with extralite hub and laser or CX-ray spokes will be 1210g. This is not a fragile build and will handle 85kg rider without issue. Best done with the straight pull hubs though.

The thing with tyres is the Conti GP4000sII in 23mm is as light as practical at 205g while still retaining decent puncture resistance.

Stan's alpha rims . 18 x24 , revolution nipples , Exact weight, weighed at "Just riding along" 1182grms. They were built a few years ago and at that time they were the lightest clinchers Jon had built there.

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/