Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Never heard of that before.
I suppose the extra protection is welcome for the cyclo-cross guys.
Never experienced a pinch flat with a tubular on the road so what do I know. :lol:

Ciao, ;)

EDIT: According to someone at Velonews (Zinn) Dugast uses silicone/latex inner tubes in conjunction with tubulars for MTB use.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/12/cyclocross/technical-faq-with-lennard-zinn-the-limits-of-sealant_152087
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Geoff

by Geoff

Hmmm. That's interesting. They must be a special production item.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Possibly.
I honestly don't see the benefit for road use. Do you?

Ciao, ;)

Geoff

by Geoff

I have to say that I have no idea! I would sure like to get my hands on some to try, though...

BERNARDO

by BERNARDO

uhmmm interesting thread.

jferrell14

by jferrell14

Have been looking for a UK based Tire Alert for a while and just came across this: http://www.tubular-repairs.com/

Anyone got any experience with this service?

I'm looking to repair some 650c tubulars, what are the chances of finding the right inners...? :roll:

Jack

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

By inners you mean inner tubes for the 650C tyres?
Butyl or latex?

Ciao, ;)

jferrell14

by jferrell14

Yes innertubes, Butyl for my trainers, but whatever is easier to get hold of.

Jack

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Assuming the inner tube is beyond repair and in need of replacement I don't see why you can't use a common 700c one and shorten it to fit your needs?

Ciao, ;)

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

The matching 650c tubes should be commonly available, the first online shop I checked has them.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

icebreaker

by icebreaker

My apologies if I missed the answer, but did I read right ( somewhere a number of pages back) that Tire Alert does NOT use tubes with a removable valve core??

Tibber67

by Tibber67

Tire alert will use either a standard tube or a removeable core tube for $3 more.

http://www.tirealert.com/tirealert/Prices.html

icebreaker

by icebreaker

Tibber67 wrote:Tire alert will use either a standard tube or a removeable core tube for $3 more.

http://www.tirealert.com/tirealert/Prices.html

Thank you,

completely overlooked that.

woodys737

by woodys737

Just wanted to add that I've had great workmanship and service with Ron at Tirealert. Only advise is that the white base tape he uses (not sure how much of a choice exists) soaks up a ton of glue. When the tire was worn out I had a hell of a time pulling it off. When I did a good amount of the base tape stayed adhered to the rim rather than coming off with the tire. Not a huge deal, but made prep time for the next tire a whole lot longer.

As always my technique might have been the problem more than the type of base tape. I usually give the tire a coat of glue and let it soak in and dry for at least 24 hours before further applications and mounting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

As always my technique might have been the problem more than the type of base tape. I usually give the tire a coat of glue and let it soak in and dry for at least 24 hours before further applications and mounting.

I suspect a number of factors are at play here. First of all the glue used on the base tape may well not have had enough time to properly cure.
Second, well without further information I'll skip that.
But on all counts the bond between tyre and base tape should always be stronger than the one between base tape and rim for obvious reasons.

Ciao, ;)