Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous 125 26 27 28 29 Next
 Post subject: Re: Tubular Repair
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:09 pm 

My Veloflex arenberg rear tire is leaking all along a 5cm stretch of the sidewall where the tire meets the carbon rim. It bubbles right at the contact point of tire and rim. I am running pitstop from the first day of use. It holds pressure for a few hours but eventually goes completely flat.

Any suggestions?

Cheers in advance!

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:09 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:34 pm 

tharmor wrote:
My Veloflex arenberg rear tire is leaking all along a 5cm stretch of the sidewall where the tire meets the carbon rim. It bubbles right at the contact point of tire and rim. I am running pitstop from the first day of use. It holds pressure for a few hours but eventually goes completely flat.

Any suggestions?

Cheers in advance!

It's probably just a point leak. The air spreads inside the tubular casing and creates the broad based fizzing that you see. Try pinching the tire in half at a few points to try to isolate the area where the puncture is actually located. Sometimes these aren't really repairable so you have to replace the whole tube or send it to Tire Alert.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:05 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Quite often I've found Pittstop not to be very effective in repairing inner tubes. If I have to resort to a latex based solution then I mostly rely on Tufo Extreme which works well for me.

Do keep that tubular inflated or it will stick together and watch out for clogging of the valve.

Cheers, ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:07 pm 

You must have a small leakage in the inner tube. A bit longer stretch on which you can observe the bubbles its just the way the sealant is finding the way to go out of the tub.
I'm not big fun of Pitstop, tried few times, didn't work. I'm pretty sure that with this kind of small puncture Stan's Notubes and many other sealants would be 100% successful.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:32 am 

It is safe to use Tufo Extreme sealant with C02 inflator?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:01 am 

Shmitt wrote:
It is safe to use Tufo Extreme sealant with C02 inflator?

Yes. I have used several times with no problems.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:07 am 

First time with tubulars, could really use some advice here. I pulled off a Vittoria tire from my wheel and am looking to reglue it. Base tape has no rips but it is scuffed/stretched from me prying the tire off with plastic levers. It seems very uneven with gobs of dried glue and carbon fragments. I can probably peel off the bigger chunks of glue, but is it OK to reuse without replacing the base tape?

I'm slightly worried about getting an uneven bumpy ride from the old base tape. Also I plan on using it with Effetto Mariposa tape instead of glue, not sure if mixing old glue + new tape causes other issues.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:47 am 

Hi folks. Got my first puncture on tubs. Am running a Vittoria Pave tub and have a slow leak - managed to limp home on it (kept topping up every 2kms or so). I'm gonna try sealant to repair it - just wondering what the consensus is for best sealant.

Do I go Tufo Extreme or Caffelatex?

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:56 am 

Mep wrote:
First time with tubulars, could really use some advice here.
[snip]

you don't replace the base tape. if it's detached from the tyre at any point just glue it back down (barge cement or similar adhesive works well)

carbon fragments!!! maybe be more gentle next time :)

easing the tub to the side and rolling it off is kinder than pulling up off the rim

i use just one lezyne 'matrix' lever, plastic, blunt end that can be worked between tape and rim, work it under the tub, then use it to lever off sideways until there's enough free to grab and pull off to the side

you can just pick off any large lumps of glue, i don't use tape but putting old possibly loose glue onto it seems unwise

just put one coat on the tub, this'll help soften and smooth any lumps, let it dry, another coat on the rim, wait a few minutes and mount it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:31 pm 

sungod wrote:
Mep wrote:
First time with tubulars, could really use some advice here.
[snip]

you don't replace the base tape. if it's detached from the tyre at any point just glue it back down (barge cement or similar adhesive works well)

carbon fragments!!! maybe be more gentle next time :)

easing the tub to the side and rolling it off is kinder than pulling up off the rim

i use just one lezyne 'matrix' lever, plastic, blunt end that can be worked between tape and rim, work it under the tub, then use it to lever off sideways until there's enough free to grab and pull off to the side

you can just pick off any large lumps of glue, i don't use tape but putting old possibly loose glue onto it seems unwise

just put one coat on the tub, this'll help soften and smooth any lumps, let it dry, another coat on the rim, wait a few minutes and mount it

Good advice. I was hoping to use tape because I'm new to the whole gluing business but that may not be so wise.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:37 pm 

MikeyBE wrote:
Hi folks. Got my first puncture on tubs. Am running a Vittoria Pave tub and have a slow leak - managed to limp home on it (kept topping up every 2kms or so). I'm gonna try sealant to repair it - just wondering what the consensus is for best sealant.

Cheers

of the two i've only tried the tufo, always had good results with it

whatever you do keep the tyre inflated after it's got sealant in, even a few hours deflated can cause the sealant to stick the collapsed tube to itself, if that happens you'll need to replace the tube or bin the tyre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:42 am 

sungod wrote:
MikeyBE wrote:

Cheers

of the two i've only tried the tufo, always had good results with it

whatever you do keep the tyre inflated after it's got sealant in, even a few hours deflated can cause the sealant to stick the collapsed tube to itself, if that happens you'll need to replace the tube or bin the tyre

Cheers! Hm this could be problematic... I often travel and I can be away for a couple of weeks...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:17 am 

inflate to max before you go, leave the bike/wheels hanging up so that there's nothing to compress the tyres

once sealant has coated the latex tubes they don't lose pressure quite as fast, but even without that there'll be enough residual pressure to stop the tube collapsing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:56 pm 

An odd question, would their be an expiry date on the applied glue for how long you can safely run them for?

Say you swap between a few set of tubular wheels, one set doesn't get used for a couple of seasons, and you decide to use it next season. Would you swap out the tubular with a newer one or reapply the glue?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:33 pm 

This is not really a repair question, but I think the only way to know if the glue job is still sufficient is the "thumbs" test. Deflate the tire, use your thumbs try to push the tire away from the rim edge. If there are obvious gaps between tire and rim at any point, it is time to remove and re-glue.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:33 pm 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous 125 26 27 28 29 Next