Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
allenpg

by allenpg

I ended up with a sidewall puncture on my nearly new Vittoria Corsa X-Factors during a TT this weekend. I think it was some rough pave. I tried sealing it with Pitstop and Stan's, but no luck. Based on the photo, do you think this tire is repairable? I've used Tirealert.com for tread based punctures before, but never a sidewall. On the positive side, this was my first tubular puncture during a race in over 8 years...:) Thanks for the help!

-Pete

Geoff

by Geoff

Well, it is a bit tough to say from that pic, but it looks like the sidewall damage may be a bit more than just a 'scuff' and is through some of the casing itself (the casing is comprised of bias-cut, unidirectional 'sheets'). You can sometimes repair sidewall damage using AquaSeal, or other urethane-based sealant. You may be able to save the tire, but without being able to see how 'deep' that damage is, only you will be able to judge that.

The puncture tiself sounds like a pinch-flat, which can happen with tubulars, especially with the new deep rim beds. That is certainly repairable.

Good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

OK. :cry:

I need some pictures of the right type of stitches to obtain a decent repair/regular shape on the tub...

The previous "typewriter caracters" explanation didn't do it for me... :oops:

Louis :)

sungod

by sungod

for the XXXXXXXXX pattern, there're some good pictures of it in this thread...

http://www.lfgss.com/thread92080.html

(though some people use a //////// pattern)

i've always used XXXXXXX, when you sew it, use the existing holes and make sure you pull the thread tight on each stitch

after gluing back the base tape, stick it on a rim and inflate to maximum pressure, the shape of the repaired area should be indistinguishable

btw find using a light coloured thread makes it easier to see what's going on when sewing, i got a reel of white 30lb dacron backing line from an angling supplier, cheap and works well

LouisN

by LouisN

Thanks for the link sungod :).

I'll try to do a better job on the next one, so the repaired area doesn't look like a twisted gut... :oops:

Louis :)

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Louis-
I just do a length of \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ into the end of the original sewing, and then back the opposite way / / / / / / / /

Finishes off a reasonable XXXXXXXXXXX :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

svennn

by svennn

I picked up a new bike in the fall that came with a set of HED 3c tubular wheels in 650c with Conti Sprinter tubes glued on. As I've never owned tubular wheels I figured I would re-glue them so I would know they were done correct. The tires look brand new with next to no wear.

My problem is with the base tape. It is coming off around the whole circumference of one of the tires. I need to re-glue it but I'm having a hard time finding the appropriate glue. Maybe for the $15 or so I'm better off letting tire alert do the repair? Are they still in business? Pricing on the website is as of 2012.....

If not, what to use? Any kind of contact cement? Dap? I can't find Barge anywhere. I'm in the flooring business and I have a warehouse filled with various glues. Carpet, contact, urethane, you name it. I would just like to get it right.

Thanks.

Steve

dj97223

by dj97223

TireAlert was in business as of a few months ago, at least. They did a nice repair job on one of my tubulars.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

svennn

by svennn

Just a follow up.....

Tire Alert repaired my base tape and got it sent back in good time.

Now to glue them up....

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

Some great advice on here thanks.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I was riding today and got a puncture on my competition tubulars, while this is not a problem where it is is. The puncture was under the base tape. How did it get there. Nothing went through the base tape. Tub at 90psi (25mm) and I hit nothing that could cause a pinch flat. What happened. Have not had chance yet to pull back the base tape and unsticth to take a look. I know it must be fairly big as the sealant put in there on Tuesday to seal up a pin prick puncture did not seal it. They had been doing so well up till now, except tuesday which does not matter much.

sungod

by sungod

i had the same happen last year on a veloflex carbon

noticed the front was losing pressure, i was in no hurry and it was an almost new tyre so i fitted my spare rather than use sealant

at home i eventually found a tiny puncture under the basetape with no hint what caused it, i just repaired it and all was well

Geoff

by Geoff

Well, while I have heard of that kind of failure, I have never actually seen it in person. It would not surprise me to see a tube that was either manufactured with a flaw (a bubble in the wall, or something like that), or got 'nicked' during the stitching or other manufacturing process.

It certainly doesn't seem to happen very often, but it's too bad that it happened to both of you. I hope it doesn't put-you-off, as I suspect that lots of people are looking at your posts prior to making the jump to tubulars.

sungod

by sungod

i wouldn't want to put anyone off, just a chance failure

certainly didn't make me consider swapping to clinchers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

It's not uncommon for the inner tube to be rotated inside the casing. The hole was actually somewhere exposed, such as a one-sided pinch-flat or even a tread puncture, but when the tire was cut open, the inner tube relaxed and returned to its unrotated position -- which meant the puncture in the tube moved somewhere else. That could sometimes be lengthwise in the tire, sometimes rotational. I've had this happen plenty of times. Often you don't even notice it because you only have a general idea of where the puncture is because air is leaking from a tread hole nearby but the actual puncture is an inch or two away.