Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It might be caused by the rim cement "working" (as in trying to adhere but having to let go at each revolution) but that would not make that kind of sound IME.

However, a Veloflex Carbon or any Veloflex tyre for that matter should not present a bulge around the valve area.
Maybe the tyre wasn't properly put on as in not pulled sideways enough as it was put on the rim?

Just guessing but that's what I suspect.

Maybe wiser minds than mine will come to rescue.....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

sungod

by sungod

if you take the wheel out, put it in a stand or hold it, then spin it, does it still 'tick'?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

atakaoka

by atakaoka

it probably the valve sten hiting the rin.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

Dammit

by Dammit

It was the valve stem.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

:lol:

The usual suspect.

Glad you sorted it out. :thumbup:

Ciao, ;)

atakaoka

by atakaoka

EdEPS wrote:I spent some time on an as good new Vittoria Corsa Evo SC which I got from a colleague. He tried to fix a small puncture with liquid latex but did not succced and he wanted to throw the tubular away.

After reading this topic and some other tubular repair topics on internet I openend the tubular for about 10cm of the valvehole, replaced the inner tube with a new latex inner tube (Vredestein), sewed it up again. Checked it and at last I glued the basetape back into place and put the tubular on a spare rim.

I inflated it up to 10 bar and it is holding with no bumps etc.

I only repaired a flat tubular once before so I do not have a lot of experience. But take your time, work carefully and do not hurry and you will succeed. Most member of the cycling club call me crazy for using tubulars. I agree that it takes more time compared to clinchers but it is no rocket science and I simply like the ride :)

By the way, I use Bison Kit as glue for the basetap which is, as far as I know, the same as Barge Cement.

http://www.bison.net/en/

If you have question about replacing an inner tube please let me know. Next time I will take pictures.

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

I'm sure I have described the procedure a few times already, just don't seem to find it somehow.

Anyhow, here's the link mentioned by jekyll man:

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html

Scroll down to "Tube Replacement".

Ciao, ;)

I did replace the inner tube of a tire,sorry but no pictures.
thanks to every one,if possible soon i will make some pictures of how to proced.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

sungod

by sungod

i was about to send some tubs for repair to http://www.tubular-repairs.com/

sadly there is a message that Peter Burgin died on the 17th of June

for anyone wishing to make a contribution, his chosen charity is the British Heart Foundation http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/donate.aspx

LouisN

by LouisN

I just took a tub off it's rim after more than 4500 km's of work :beerchug: ...

I'm wondering (it's been probably discussed already somewhere in here, but I can't find it), anybody used the tubular latex tube in a clincher ?

Thanks for the info,

Louis :)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I'm wondering (it's been probably discussed already somewhere in here, but I can't find it), anybody used the tubular latex tube in a clincher ?

No problem whatsoever. Recycle. 8)

Ciao, ;)

PerezTurner

by PerezTurner

I am confusing to compare the TireAlert use latex tubes and not able to make a decision about it. How is it possible to check it?

Click here
Last edited by PerezTurner on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

I think what you're asking is whether Ron at TireAlert will use latex tubes or not. The answer is: yes. If you provide him the tubes, he will use them. He still will not take responsibility (rightly) for the size. One of the guys on this Board just got tubulars back from Ron and he used latex Vittoria clincher tubes. No problems.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

AFAIK Ron uses butyl inner tubes per definition. If you want him to use the inner tube of your choice you simply send it along with the tubbie to repair and he'll then use that.
No idea if he'd charge extra bucks or whatever but it can be done.

Ciao and greetings to Geoff, ;)

LouisN

by LouisN

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

No problem whatsoever. Recycle. 8)

Ciao, ;)

The Vittoria latex tubular inner tube is 42 g, opposed to a Vittoria clincher latex tube at 70 g :shock: .
Feels waaaayyy thinner too. I'll have to be careful that the rim bed and inner side of the tire are impeccable with this tube...

Geoff

by Geoff

Louis, that is 100% correct. They are also smaller. Unfortunately, latex tubes for tubular tires are hard to come by, which is why Ron doesn't 'stock' them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I put them inside a 23mm open tubular. Doesn't hold air for very long. After one hour, it already lost 50 PSI. Too stretched I guess...
Probably would be better to put them inside some 20mm tires.