Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Anyway I used a can of pit stop to get me home, do you think I can still get it repaired?

The Pittstop you injected did get you home but did not repair the tubular?

The problem with the latest generation of Vittoria tubulars is that they are notoriously hard to repair manually. The do sell the magic Pittstop now, don't they? ...... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

I have a Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tubular with a small hole. I used the Vittoria Pit Stop and it sealed most the hole, however get minor air leakage.

When I mounted the tire, I used the Vitorria extenders without the removable core (1st mistake...I'm new to tubies.)

My question - Would it be possible to get some Stans no-tubes sealant into the tire through the regular valve core? Was thinking about getting a 2 oz tube and trying to get maybe 1 oz into the tubular. Any tips?
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

I have repaired Vittoria Rallys with the Pitstop and it worked fine., left lots of gunk in the valve though, not so clean.

I have self repaired only Cross Tubulars as they are bigger and it is easier to work on them, with mixed results, one a Vitttoria Cross was well repaired, the other a Challenge Grifo, as it was quite dirty from all the mud, it was never possible to glue back properly the tape, I tried cleaning the area with water and then alcohol but without success so far. When it is glued and pumped it is indeed held on the rim, but I guess it is fragile and it is a possible weak point to roll out the tubular.

The road ones are so thin that I haven't yet attempted to repair one.
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

My question - Would it be possible to get some Stans no-tubes sealant into the tire through the regular valve core? Was thinking about getting a 2 oz tube and trying to get maybe 1 oz into the tubular. Any tips?

If you must do it that way you may consider getting yourself one of those rubber city bike pump extenders that you screw onto a presta valve core. Fill it with Stans then pump it through the core into the tyre.

I am no fan of these tricks or liquid latex for repair for that matter unless it's a tiny hole not worth opening up the tyre for.
Another thing to consider is that Stan's and Pittstop may be incompatible. May be, never tried it, probably never will.... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

andyindo

by andyindo

I know some people inject stans in mtb tubeless tyres by sticking the stans in a syringe and plunging the needle straight into the tyre.....

Geoff

by Geoff

Please do not do this to your tubular tires...

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

Why is it not recommended to not use Stan's sealant in tubular tires? Can someone post the literature that was mentioned? The reason I asked is because I talked to a Stan's rep in New York and they said it was totally fine for use with tubulars.

Geoff

by Geoff

Well, I don't think it is that it isn't possible to use Stans, it is just that some recommend using a product that does not have an ammonia-containing carrier. The story is that the ammonia-containing carriers evaporate more quickly, leaving a 'film' that negatively affects the latex tubes in quality tubular tires. Attached is a link to one of the peices circulating on this:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/12/ ... ant_152087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Most liquid latex sealants do more damage than good in a road tyre. What works in a cyclo-cross tyre (or MTB for that matter) won't necessarily work in a road tyre either. Higher tyre pressures being the main reason.

In most latex based sealants ammonia is used to keep it in that state until put to use where contact with air (the leakage area) will make it cure. Any unused sealant will slowly cure inside the inner tube and will usually set where the wheel is already out of balance adding even more unbalance. This process of curing can take up to six months depending of the amount of product injected.

Keep in mind as well that liquid latex does not stick too well to a latex inner tube unless it sees a chance to slowly cure at a particular spot where the ammonia will actually "bite" into the latex inner tube and finally solidify.

IME quite often a small repair seems successful until a certain pressure treshold is exceeded where the repair gives in and you're back to square one.
Another drawback is that for as long as any liquid latex is present you should keep that tyre inflated. If not it may well stick to the inner walls of the inner tube and rip it to pieces should the tyre be reinflated again. Not to mention all the clogging of the valve core that occurs as it is pushed out with air rushing out etc., etc....

Some sealants such as Cafelatex use synthetic latex that is ammonia free. Haven't tried it yet but of all the typical liquid latex products I have tried Tufo's original sealant worked best even though it was pretty awkward to actually get it inside the tyre. Not sure about the newer Tufo, I still have plenty of the old one, hence....

Long story short; short of spending a life time trying everything out, keep the above caveats in mind and view it as a handy product for smallish repairs. Typically those not worth opening up an otherwise fine tyre for and repairing it the good old fashioned way....

Ciao, ;)

jasjas

by jasjas

Used a brand new, pre glued and stretched Vitt CX Corsa 320 (i didnt have anything else) as a spare, it was left folded up on the bike for 2 days, got home and pumped it back in shape...Bang! the inner tube must have welded its self togther inside.

Are these things that fragile? or was i unlucky?
I am guessing that its not possible to replace the inner?

Geoff

by Geoff

I can't imagine that was the problem. I have used Vittoria tires as spares for decades without problems like that.

You can try to repair the tube yourself, or use a service like: http://www.tirealert.com/tirealert

jasjas

by jasjas

jasjas wrote:Used a brand new, pre glued and stretched Vitt CX Corsa 320 (i didnt have anything else) as a spare, it was left folded up on the bike for 2 days, got home and pumped it back in shape...Bang! the inner tube must have welded its self togther inside.

Are these things that fragile? or was i unlucky?
I am guessing that its not possible to replace the inner?

what i forgot to say was as i pumped it up - i noticed a small flat spot where air hadnt yet got into the inner tube, at this point it was prob at about 20psi - that was when it went bang! Yes i could repair it but i dont know where the spilt is and maybe the rest of the tube is perished or similar - a new tub is about £45 in the UK.
I ve a mate who has used old latex Vitt tubs as spares and never had this issue, so bad luck for me.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

That's very odd indeed.
Anyhow, to easiest way to repair a tyre withe a blown inner tube is to replace the entire inner tube.

Ciao, ;)

jasjas

by jasjas

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

That's very odd indeed.
Anyhow, to easiest way to repair a tyre withe a blown inner tube is to replace the entire inner tube.

Ciao, ;)

In the past i ve repaired the odd tub but how would i go about a full tube replacement? the vitt cx base tape seems to be coated in a latex? solution and all of it would need to be removed, inner replaced and then restitched/base tape reglued - a local tub repairer said it could not be done, economically anyway.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

If you can't do the job yourself then, yes, it probably won't be economically viable for someone else to do it for you.

Ciao, ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com