Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!

by 11.4

For 2017 this is the new Rema patch kit for Conti tubulars and open tubulars:

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/repairing-a-3 ... 1789981435

track01

by track01

^
I much more wonder about the recommended tire pressure to use there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Ok, i'll share my repair experience..

Im riding tubular wheelset for something more then month, and Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm tires.

First flat i had on the rear when i had 1350 km on them. Very small puncture, i was not even able to find it, but after few hours flat tire. I fixed this with Tufo Extreme sealant (i put like 1/3 bottle). After this no problems at all.. 150 km later, terrible road, potholes, rocks... And my rear got cut like 8mm. I thought that i'll have to call someone, but just addedd another 1/3 bottle of Tufo, and i was able to finish the day (another 65 km with 1000 meters climb then downhill). Then after i finish the ride, i put Tufo sealent from the external side, directly in the cut (i deflated the tire first to be able to have better access in the cut. After Tufo Dried, i put some Loctite SuperGlue. No rides after this, but to me look (and i hope :) ) that i saved the tire for at least 1000 km. I'll share if there is some suprises. Just in case, i ordered a new tires and also Effetto Mariposa Nano ZOT solution for tire repair (but to me seem that it's not needed).

1415chris

by 1415chris

With the bigger gushes (8mm is quite big one) there is a good chance that the Super Glue will not hold when you start riding. In the case in which the thread is cut, most definitely will not. Sometimes I had to re-glue much smaller and shallower cuts.
But the life is full of surprises :)

Is Nano ZOT "fixing" rather than preventing sealant, like Tufo Extreme?

PS

Ok I've read that it is not a sealant on its own, it's a catalyst.
Question is would it work with other sealants, Orange for instance?

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Has taken 5 repair attempts on different tyres but finally repaired what should be the least likely repairable tub - side wall puncture on Corsa CX Evo with latex hole the size of an m&m. Used two layers of patching on the tube. Sewed back up with dental floss. The inner cotton/silk casing was a bit perplexing to repair, ended up lightly sewing it back together. Mounted and inflated to 120psi and ridden to test, no problems so will be an emergency spare for now.

Almost not worth trying, but did it more to see if it could actually be successful for this type of puncture.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

3Pio

by 3Pio

1415chris wrote:With the bigger gushes (8mm is quite big one) there is a good chance that the Super Glue will not hold when you start riding. In the case in which the thread is cut, most definitely will not. Sometimes I had to re-glue much smaller and shallower cuts.
But the life is full of surprises :)

Is Nano ZOT "fixing" rather than preventing sealant, like Tufo Extreme?

PS

Ok I've read that it is not a sealant on its own, it's a catalyst.
Question is would it work with other sealants, Orange for instance?

First i put as much Tufo Extreme sealant as possible in the cut, and then SuperGlue

I just get back from another ride and no problems. I consider my self lucky for now :)

This is the ride:

https://www.strava.com/activities/979607516

I'll try to use this rear tire at least until i got a new one (i just ordered :) )

atakaoka

by atakaoka

Nano ZOT is a coagulatin agent I try in a side cut, It work for a bit but eventualy tire pressure push out the latex I would not recomend it.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

atakaoka

by atakaoka

This's how Effecto Mariposa turns into after a whille.ImageImage

Enviado de meu E6533 usando Tapatalk
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Seem that i'll keep to Tufo Extreme Sealant, which work very well :) and without other experiments

atakaoka

by atakaoka

The good thing is that. I fixed the tire whith a piece of latex tube.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

What is the best/most suitable sealant to carry to repair a small air leak from a continental competition pro Ltd tub as I believe these have a latex tube? Am I ok or will tufo extreme or should I be carrying another product? Thanks

atakaoka

by atakaoka

Probably you'll be ok whith Tufo.

Enviado de meu E6533 usando Tapatalk

3Pio

by 3Pio

scottmmw wrote:What is the best/most suitable sealant to carry to repair a small air leak from a continental competition pro Ltd tub as I believe these have a latex tube? Am I ok or will tufo extreme or should I be carrying another product? Thanks

Tufo Extreme is great product. Anyway, i discover after 3-4 months of not riding, that i have a air leak again on my Vittoria Corsa G+ (have a puncture on this few months ago, used Tufo Extreme and it was fine until now).

Tried to fix it again with Tufo Extreme sealant, but does not work (could not put enough sealant, probably allready dried up from the last time and stucked). So i tried with Vittoria sealant (in the bath, since reading that this Vittoria will go everywhere except where supposed to go :) ), and half went out, halw somehow was put in the tire.. And seam that the leak is stopped . So i will say, if u need it outside: Tufo Extreme Sealant, if u can do it at home: Try with Vittoria sealant.

urbanspaceman

by urbanspaceman

Hi. I was hoping to post a photo of my tyre and ask a question; does anyone know how to attach pix on here please?

sungod

by sungod

upload the picture to a site such as postimage.org

take a copy of the image url

using the full editor, not the 'quick reply' one, click the img button, the immediately paste the url (it'll appear in the img tags)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com