Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

This may prove helpful for later:

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Just got around to repairing a tub for the first time; a conti comp with about 100 miles on it :-/

thanks for all the valuable tips and info

:beerchug:
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

This may prove helpful for later:

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html

Ciao, ;)

-"With the beads of the tire pressed against each other so that the old holes are exactly aligned, sew using a loop stitch pulling each stitch tight, going forward two holes then back one, forward two, back one, until the seam is closed. This is a balanced stitch that uses one thread and can stretch longitudinally. "

Can someone please post a drawing of what this should look like ? :oops: Just can't picture it...

Louis :)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It will look like this: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Ciao, ;)

rahman

by rahman

Great resource about tubular repair, now it's time to go for my tubulars and make some practice :D
Born in lust turn to dust, born in sin come on in!

sawyer

by sawyer

2000+ posts to my name so pots and kettles and all that, but I must say this thread still makes the mind boggle at the amount of time people have to fiddle about on this stuff :shock: Just binning three almost new tubs today if any of you seamsters are interested?
Last edited by sawyer on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Geoff

by Geoff

Heard that! The last time I repaired a tubular myself was when I was 19! Save 'em up and send them to TireAlert...

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

sawyer wrote:2000+ posts to my name so pots and kettles and all that, but I must say this thread still makes the mind boggle at the amount of time people to have fiddle about on this stuff :shock: Just binning three almost new tubs today if any of you seamsters are interested?

How much time do you think it takes?

The only tubular I ever binned was one that was torn apart by a piece of rock. Still recovered the latex inner tube and the valve core though. Cheap, huh? :P

Ciao, ;)

sawyer

by sawyer

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

sawyer wrote:2000+ posts to my name so pots and kettles and all that, but I must say this thread still makes the mind boggle at the amount of time people to have fiddle about on this stuff :shock: Just binning three almost new tubs today if any of you seamsters are interested?

How much time do you think it takes?

The only tubular I ever binned was one that was torn apart by a piece of rock. Still recovered the latex inner tube and the valve core though. Cheap, huh? :P

Ciao, ;)

Judging by the tales of woe and re-works on this thread it takes many people quite a bit of time.

More time than throwing the tub away even for the most proficient I'm guessing. :wink:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Geoff wrote:Heard that! The last time I repaired a tubular myself was when I was 19! Save 'em up and send them to TireAlert...

I repaired and glued first tubular when I was 12. Old USSR tubulars. I remember, only one tub blew due to repair.

nismosr

by nismosr

anybody tried tirealert.com he does repair on any tubular tire.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

LouisN

by LouisN

I managed to repair a tubular, but it doesn't hold air for many hours. I figured I'd put some Stan's sealant in it.
But I'd like to use it as a spare. Is it possible to put sealant in the tube, inflate the tire, and then deflate and fold it to use as a spare ?
Sorry if it's been discussed elsewhere...
EDIT: Found some litterature obn the subject. Guess it's a big no,no.... :oops:
Louis :)

Kasparz

by Kasparz

sawyer wrote:2000+ posts to my name so pots and kettles and all that, but I must say this thread still makes the mind boggle at the amount of time people have to fiddle about on this stuff :shock: Just binning three almost new tubs today if any of you seamsters are interested?

If anyone of you guys have punctured tubulars that still have life in it, instead of trashing them you can always send them to me. I punctured 3 tubs in 3 weeks and at that rate I will run out of my budget and time repairing them. I punctured almost new EVO CX in todays race first 200 meters. Pissed.

Jamiemcp

by Jamiemcp

Punctured a new Corsa Evo SC after less than 100km on it, a bit of glass got stuck in the type. Not happy is an understatment. Anyway I used a can of pit stop to get me home, do you think I can still get it repaired?

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Jamiemcp wrote:Punctured a new Corsa Evo SC after less than 100km on it, a bit of glass got stuck in the type. Not happy is an understatment. Anyway I used a can of pit stop to get me home, do you think I can still get it repaired?

I share your paint. I have had the exact same experience 2 weeks ago : punctured a veloflex criterium after 150 km. So angry :twisted:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com