Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bigben99

by bigben99

Where i can find Copydex??

hockinsk wrote:I use a Velox needle & thread. Easy to get online from DotBike

I cut my patches as required from an old green latex innertube (from a Vittoria CX or soemthing I think). No roughening/sanding of anything, just rub a bit of acetone on both surfaces to clean before applying cement and fix patch in the usual way. Has never failed yet. Completely pointless buying patches, put it that way!

I use Latex solution to stick basetape down or Copydex works just as well. You can use tyre sealant like Tufo etc, but it isn't quite as strong.

As for repairing while still on rim, forget it, you'll never be able to keep it inside out while you repair it.

sungod

by sungod

copydex is widely available in uk, which country are you in? try amazon, the uk one certainly sells it

otherwise go to an artists' supply store, they sell latex, as do theatrical make-up suppliers

personally i don't find latex gives a particularly strong bond, maybe i'm paranoid, but for repairs i use a contact adhesive

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

B&Q and any similar shop (UK)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Most art shops sell liquid latex if that helps you. 8)

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

sawyer

by sawyer

You seamsters and seamstresses are all mad!!

Life is too short and there are better things to do than fiddle around with threads, base tape, latex, seeking products out in obscure artists' supply stores, and theatrical make-up suppliers.

WWism is generally a bit nuts we all know that but tubular repair for me is the ne plus ultra of poor ways to spend time ... well, almost :-)

I chuck my tubs after a puncture. And no I won't send them to you! :-)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sungod

by sungod

long winter night, glass of wine and some music, amália rodrigues perhaps, needle, thread, tub

before you know, you have a fixed tub and it's time for another glass

RussellS

by RussellS

For gluing basetape back onto the casing, I use Goop brand glue. Marine version. Its an epoxy I believe.
http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/ ... c-7172.htm

petal666

by petal666

RussellS wrote:For gluing basetape back onto the casing, I use Goop brand glue. Marine version. Its an epoxy I believe.
http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/ ... c-7172.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a winner.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

RussellS wrote:For gluing basetape back onto the casing, I use Goop brand glue. Marine version. Its an epoxy I believe.
http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/ ... c-7172.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks similar in function to this:

http://www.lucasdivestore.com/nl/divegear/accessories/mcnett-accessories/mcnett-seam-grip-28gr.html

Same as AquasureI think.

Ciao, ;)

barsook77

by barsook77

I may need to boot the tire as well.

Forget about booting tires. Unless it is an emergency repair to get ya home. A buddy of mine used a dollar bill once and said it worked fine.

Zoro

by Zoro

I removed a small thorn from the barely worn FMB competition CX silk after the race Sunday. The slow leak would take 15 min to deflate from 120psi. I used 1/2 can of Vittoria PIT Stop and pumped to 130psi with hole down. Today I deflated and pumped to 140psi with hole up. If they hold, I think we will trust them for racing running about 110psi.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

FMB competition CX silk

Just curious. How do these fair compared to regular cotton FMB or Veloflex?

TIA, ;)

Zoro

by Zoro

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

FMB competition CX silk

Just curious. How do these fair compared to regular cotton FMB or Veloflex?

TIA, ;)
I needed to go with a 24mm-25mm as (my son) using a 25mm rim.
A kid on the team has cotton FMB Paris Roubaix - 25 - he bought for Paris Roubaix and didn't use them. I have no 1st hand experience with the FMB cotton. We went with silk - cause I like silk, and hand made and taking the long way etc.. Before these we were running Veloflex Record 22s and before that the Vittoria Crono EVO CS - both - 170g tires and before that Tufo S3 (because I had them) and years ago Clement silks, Contis ....

So...
I think the Veloflex is among the current best MADE tires. My son has never flatted one in about 30 races. Comparing the Record to a heavier 25 silk - very different. But the Record 22 is too narrow for the 25mm rims. If there was a 25mm Veloflex record - I'd try them. The current Veloflex 25s are too heavy for what we want.

The FMB silk (with Vittoria made in Thailand stamped on the tread) is his favorite tire to ride, but it does not seat as well and is unquestionably hand made. A 25, on a 25 rim gives a invulnerability type feeling. For general purpose racing on roads where cars travel too - we think wider is better.

For pics See viewtopic.php?f=113&t=121215&p=1042439#p1042439

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. 8)

The FMB silk (with Vittoria made in Thailand stamped on the tread) is his favorite tire to ride

Hmmm..... Seems like J-M is buying tread from Vitto then.

Vittoria used to manufacture silk tubs as well. Maybe they still do but they're definitely gone from their catalogue for many years already.
Then there's Challenge. Not sure if they carry a 25mm wide one though.

Anyway thanks and all the best with the young one. He seems to enjoy the bike.

Ciao, ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoro

by Zoro

Silk are always better given the choice - except in water.