HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:48 pm 

Congrats on the team making the box.

Just trying to qualify your assessment; have you ridden anything other than the conti on the rear?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:18 pm 

Lots of guys have won lots of races (and big ones) on Conti tires. They are not the 'garden hoses' that people often seem to think they are. They are a decent, all-purpose tire that do the job. I still think that there is a really big difference in feel between the Conti offerings and FMB or Dugast. I would be suprised to hear that same is not the case for Veloflex, but I have never ridden them.

I lent another set of wheels to a friend who flatted a front Conti, so I have to glue-up a new tire. I am going to go with another Conti Comp because they have been proven reliable and I like the handling of the 'Black Chili' rubber quite a bit, and because I have a 25mm Conti rear on. If I had to re-glue both the front and rear, I might go for the FMB's (which I have aging now and ready-to-glue), but the Contis are good enough that I am not even tempted to do that. I think that is saying someting in and of itself.

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:18 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:05 pm 

canbakay wrote:
...my curiosity is;

veloflex is priced very close to FMB..
veloflex get great reviews (to which I agree) but FMB seems to have an edge over it in terms of ride quality,
so is FMB less puncture resistant, what else explains its exotic stance point?

(fyi, I'm hoping to get on FMBs once my veloflexs run out)

(Im comparing the veloflex carbon equalivent of FMB, not sure if that the competition or the service course...)
My son went from Veloflex Records - never a flat, to FMB 25 and has flatted 2X after the race and one during.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:01 am 

Still no love for Conti on WW. :(
On raceday: Always Conti thanks to near perfect puncture resistance and foul weather capabilities. On a nice weather ride: Veloflex Roubaix. Sooooo nice & supple. On bad weather days: Conti GP4Season clinchers. Never had a flat with those in almost 20k km.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:11 am 

+1
I like my Conti Comps witch I find better and more subtle than Sprinters.
I would love to try Veloflex (I've only tried clinches) or FMB but I'm so happy with the durability and puncture resistance of Conti that nowadays I'm afraid to try other brands.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:45 pm 

Never be afraid about experimenting...just don't ever do it on race day. Conti Comps are pretty durable, for sure, but there is a whole world of tires for you to try.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:55 pm 

Has anyone ridden Challenge tubulars? When my Vittoria Elites expire I will be keen to try their 25mm Strada on the rear and their 22mm Forte on the front.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:30 am 

I've watching this thread and hoping someone can share about continental - gp4000s and competition. I'm currently using sprinter gato and want get gain more speed.

If anyone here been using gato and switch to GP 40000s worth changing?

If yes my LBS have two options - gp4000s or competition. Which one should I choose?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:37 pm 

If you have to stay with Conti, the Competition for sure. The 25mm width for most applications these days.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:07 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
Even if you go 25 in the rear, you might want to think about 22 in the front - lighter and maybe more aero.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:31 am 

Been using Conti sprinter and competition. Both great. 9000k, changed front once, twice on the rear. Not a single flat...but just in case, I kept my spare wheelset with 23/25 gatorskin but don't get used much at all... except for 200k+ tourings

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:32 pm 

Anth73 wrote:
Has anyone ridden Challenge tubulars? When my Vittoria Elites expire I will be keen to try their 25mm Strada on the rear and their 22mm Forte on the front.

Anth I have a set of Challenge Criteriums in the cupboard, I'm actually going to get another set or two as the are on sale at a local store here in Geelong.

Initial thoughts on them, they appear to be well made, the rubber feels much softer than that of my Continental tubs, much more like the Vittoria CX's. The Strada and Forte felt and looked much the same, the Strada up close is much wider but the tread wasn't as deep.

Tread pattern on the Criteriums is different, but I've heard good things about them. At the price I paid for them well worth a try.

I reckon the Strada would make a great all purpose tire for those that find themselves on the shitty pot holed chipseal roads that feature around here.

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:51 am 

Anth73 wrote:

I have and won't ride them again. Had 3 of the 24mm Strada tubulars and got a maximum of 800 miles before the sidewalls failed - on each one. Not impressed!

Have a pair of the 25s. Just flatted the front when a small shard worked its way under the tread, which was coming apart from the carcass, and cut through the casing and tube to the point where it's not repairable. Found another loose edge on the tread on the rear; glued it with barge cement but you can bet I'm giving it a very thorough inspection (even more so than my usual post-ride routine) and will bin it if the tread continues to separate at other places.

While I did like the ride there's no way their QC warrants spending any more money with Challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:47 am 

Interesting Teleguy; I must admit I have heard mixxed reviews on these, some being good and others being quite bad. Hopefully my experience is much better than yours.

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:47 am 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:46 am 

Went for my first ride on Vittoria Corsa Elites on the weekend fitted to 50mm carbon wheels. They are butyl tubed with a 290tpi thread count. Whilst they are not as smooth as my Vittoria CX's they still provide a better ride than my clinchers. Grip appeared to be fine in damp conditions too.

Last edited by Anth73 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next