Best tubular for all-around riding.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

It's time to replace my well-worn Vittoria tubulars. They lasted two seasons of regular but not daily use including a few road races. It's time to replace them with a new tire that is reasonably lightweight and durable... probably in a 23mm width. Any suggestions? I know most weenies are opposed to Tufo for various reasons. What about Veloflex?

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

I would go with......Vittoria.

Veloflex is more money and inferior in performance.

Go FMB if you want to change to something more exotic.
rolobikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sybarite

by Sybarite

I've found the new Challenge Criterium tubs to be nice. Very close to the 320tpi Vittorias I have.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Sybarite wrote:I've found the new Challenge Criterium tubs to be nice. Very close to the 320tpi Vittorias I have.

I'm also finding them to my liking- except for mounting them on the wheel-- definitely the toughest I've encountered so far.
Speedplay is the devil!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Veloflex Carbons are very nice and supple. Expensive compared to others and do not last as long either. The new Vittorias 320 TPI are nice and seem to last longer. I really like them so far to the point I have changed all my wheel sets to it.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Continental sprinters are the most underrated tire out there. It works super in training and racing.

If you want to change to something more exotic change to fmb. that will change your ride.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

I agree. Sprinter gets alot of stick on here. It still rides better than any clincher.

Sybarite

by Sybarite

mdeth1313 wrote:
Sybarite wrote:I've found the new Challenge Criterium tubs to be nice. Very close to the 320tpi Vittorias I have.

I'm also finding them to my liking- except for mounting them on the wheel-- definitely the toughest I've encountered so far.

Stretch them out on an old rim first, makes it easier to mount later.

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

No matter what you try all roads lead back to the Vittoria EVO CX, Now available in 23mm which is way cool.

I have a new pair of the Zipp tangente 23mm tubulars on my new 2010 303's and they are the exact same only seem to have more rubber down the middle. perhaps take a look at these seems they will give more miles than the Vittoria.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Sybarite wrote:
Stretch them out on an old rim first, makes it easier to mount later.

thanks- I do that already! should have mentioned it. the trouble is even when stretched they are a royal pain to get on-- at least that means they should have a harder time coming off!
Speedplay is the devil!

occor

by occor

cryoplasm wrote:I agree. Sprinter gets alot of stick on here. It still rides better than any clincher.

I've lost track of how many times people have written on these forums that Sprinters or even Competitions are no better than clinchers.

bikenut

by bikenut

I am using Veloflex Carbons. Real nice and supple. The grip is amazing . I also tried Vittoria Cx's not bad too but they keep blowing up on me.Cant really tell the difference from the TPI's 300 or 320.Negligible if you ask me.I find that they tend to need replacement after about 500-800k's of racing. I'm sticking to my Veloflex carbons. I'd suggest Continental Sprinters for everyday tubulars. Veloflex Carbons and Vittoria Cx's just aint for 'everyday use'. Oh yeah..... continental tubulars don't feel like tubulars. You're better off using clinchers. Feels the same :)

itch

by itch

Conti 4000 are very durable, cheap and grippy...

rustychain

by rustychain

My ears were burning, Mmmmmmmmmmm

Anyway, I may have said something about Contis riding like rubber balls, garden hose or something but today I am going to do a Weight Weenie first............(drum roll).......I'm going to change my opinion!!!!

Yes I have found a use for my stash of conti competitions and even an old sprinter. I found that if I use them on the back and put something with a better ride such as Vitts CX (in 23 naturally) or Veloflex on the front wheel I can get an acceptable ride quality (at least for the winter :wink: ) I guess my butt is not as sensitive to road feel as my other bits :noidea: . So there you go, I half changed my mind, it was just for the back wheel mind you (hope I didn't let you down). As for the sprinter, it will serve on my cross bike for those "road bike" rides I want to do with a Belgian friend (it must be in their blood, the word "road" to them must not translate well into English) :noidea:

As an aside, does anyone here race crits on 25 tires??? I am 95 kilos and I'm thinking they may be better for my big but not to sensitive arse. Who makes the best 25?
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Geoff

by Geoff

I still say that the best all-around tires are either: Vittoria CG/All-Weather/Pave Evo CG; or, Continental Competition 22s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com