Best tubular for all-around riding.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geoff

by Geoff

They have been around forever and are one of my 'go-to' guys for hard-to-find vintage parts (I got an original set of burnished decals for a Brooklyn Gios there, too), but have never tried the 'house-brand' tires. If they say they are buying reproduction Clement Criteriums, I believe them. I loved this tires as a kid. I may try a set on one of my vintage builds, if I ever get to it...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lannes

by lannes

The quality ride of a tubular is really a combination of a light rim and the supple light tyre, to skimp on the tyre reduces the benefit of going tubular in the first place.
Suggest you ride a supple clincher with latex tubes, or go tubeless, rather than investing in a set of tubular wheels

jaketim114

by jaketim114

Continental Sprinters sound like a decent choice for you. Relatively inexpensive and very durable.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

vdrey wrote:Would the yellow jersey tubulars fit my needs?

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html
:beerchug: Three for fifty bucks? :beerchug:

But 21.5 mm does not meet your 25mm+ "requirement". You will have to decide how important that is.
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Reading your criteria, 25mm, puncture resistant, cheap, the Conti Gatorskin 25mm comes to my mind. Mind you I have not tried them (but most other Conti tubulars, and some of their clinchers). More expensive than the Yellow Jersey ones, though (which seem to be spec'd at 21.5mm anyway?).

glepore

by glepore

Contis work, but ride enough like clinchers (IMHO-I'll duck) that you're not going to get "the tubular experience" really. The yellow jersey tires are at least a cotton casing, and are cerainly inexpensive, but narrow. There aren't any "inexpensive" 25mm tubulars out there, I'd build a standard rim and try the 21.5 yellow's if you just want to know what its about. They won't roll like a top end Vitt or Veloflex, but they're pretty nice.

I'm a big believer in wider tires, especially clinchers. but what's driven me from tubies is the cost, unless you patch your own, and I just don't have the patience for that.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

asdf123

by asdf123

Conti Sprinters Gatorskin. Not buttery smooth but they top almost everything in price and durability department.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Life's way too short to ride conti tubs.. I really don't see the point of using tubs and wanting to save a few dollars running high mileage tires, infact I don't get why so many people cheap out on tires full stop.. They are the only thing stopping you from falling over.. Worth spending a few extra $$ on just for that reason alone :roll:

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Can anyone recommend a nice tubular that is actually 25mm wide. I have heard the veloflex 25 are narrow otherwise would be my first choice. Have had good experience with the vittoria corsas but wondering if there's anything else with a full 25 worth trying.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a nice tubular that is actually 25mm wide. I have heard the veloflex 25 are narrow otherwise would be my first choice.

Why does it matter that much?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Because I prefer the feel of 25mm tires to 23mm.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Veloflex Roubaix (tan) and Arenberg (black) are both close to 25mm.

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Zoro

by Zoro

petepeterson wrote:Can anyone recommend a nice tubular that is actually 25mm wide. I have heard the veloflex 25 are narrow otherwise would be my first choice. Have had good experience with the vittoria corsas but wondering if there's anything else with a full 25 worth trying.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

FMB Competition - cotton or silk (using those).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Veloflex Roubaix and Arenberg are indeed 25mm. There were some early Roubaixs with the new labeling that were sold as 25mm but were actually still the same 24mm Roubaixs that preceded it. I had some from Aug 2011 that were like that. But if you buy them now I am sure you'll be getting the 25's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

For people like me who ride on roads covered in winter filth and lots of sharp flint fragments a conti gator skin tub may not be the last word in ride comforts e.t.c but it does not get cut up after a few miles. If used high TPI tyres all the time they really would not last long. I am risking my Pave tomorrow if it goes wrong it will be expensive. The tubular gator skin is more comfortable and give better grip than the clincher version which is the only tyre I have found that stands to suffolk roads in winter (except for the hardshell or a verdestein tri comp fortezza e.t.c). I would rather ride the gator skin tub thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com