Cheap, yet reliable training wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Tinchy

You seem to be in UK. I looked at various posh winter wheel options but ended up a set of Sora hubs/Mavic 22 CXPs with rim wear indicators and skewers for 77 quid from Ribble.

Completely true after first 300 miles.

If you're not racing on them then highly recommended for our winter British roads, salt and grit etc. Brilliant value and I should fly when I go back on my nice wheels in May.

Alan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

go for Campagnolo Record hubset/32spokes.
with Ambrosio Excellence (or Ambrosio Excellight rims if you're weight conscious), DT spokes (many options available).
bullet proof, easily serviceable.

estimated weight should be approx 1500grams upwards.

as a comparison, my Ambrosio Excellence rims/Record silver hubs 32spokes, double butted spokes is approx 1900grams -
i hardly use it though :mrgreen:

cheers!

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

Could look at Hopes range too, not light though but should be well sealed and easily serviceable.

sawyer

by sawyer

you're riding campagnolo so choose a campagnolo wheelset! :P

i've just started commuting on Scirriccos and i hate to say it but i'm impressed. i picked them up for £125 and offloaded the QRs for £35, so £90 all up.

They ride very smoothly. hubs are similar (very similar :o ) to Bora hubs. They soak up more buzz than shamals.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

jasjas

by jasjas

Yes, stick to something cheap, UK winters will trash any rim, i use Shimano RS10 or 20s from Merlin cycles for about £120 and find them bomb proof.
if you save up abit more you could then get some RS80 Carbon Laminates for the summer and they are great wheels for less than £400.
this for the guy with the Giant SCR which im guessing is Shimano?

mr_tim

by mr_tim

YoKaiser wrote:Could look at Hopes range too, not light though but should be well sealed and easily serviceable.

Forget about hope & 11v campag, they haven't got the spacing right.

false_Aesthetic

by false_Aesthetic

mr_tim wrote:Kinlin are narrow rims, so you get rounded tires.. IMO makes for poor cornering. I've got a set but never use them because of that. The narrow rim makes for a pain when switching between wheels as well :(

While Kinlin rims might be narrow, I haven't found them to have a negative effect on my cornering.
I've done enough early season crits and descents with decreasing radius turns to get a feel for it all . . . I think. Granted it could have a lot to do with my riding style, tyres and PSI but I'm really not missing anything so far.

Me: 145lbs
PSI: 95 front / 100 rear
Tyres: Pro 3 Front/ Krylion rear
--------------------------

All of that said, I would imagine that things would feel drastically different if you had been riding C2 rims or another "wide" rim and then switched to KinLin

mcarr810

by mcarr810

Just grab a set of used ksyrium sl's off of flea bag

shampoo

by shampoo

http://www.revolutionwheelworks.com/REV-27X.html

I have the tubular version of these.. Cheap, bomb proof..

J

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

false_Aesthetic wrote:While Kinlin rims might be narrow, I haven't found them to have a negative effect on my cornering.

Me neither... and I test that often on the XR200s which are 18.5mm wide... as are the XR300s. The XR270s are 19.5mm wide. Is that narrow?

mr_tim

by mr_tim

false_Aesthetic wrote:
Me: 145lbs
PSI: 95 front / 100 rear
Tyres: Pro 3 Front/ Krylion rear

I was using them with Veloflex extreme, a few versions of the Vitt Evo corsa & Challenge Forte, all seemed to behave in similiar fashion with a sudden give point. Maybe its the tire, maybe its the rim / tire combo. Maybe its just me... :|

I did try a few tires to see if it was just one tire I have to admit, but gave up in the end.

The best cornering I got out of them was on vitts in 20mm width, which led me to think it was the tire / rim bed thing.

FWIW:

Me: 165lb
PSI: Generally on those tires listed about 115psi, touch less in the front.

murph100

by murph100

TBH you can pick up a 2009 / 2010 Campag wheelset for that money if you do a bit of searching. I bought a pair of Shamals 2 years ago and they're bombproof ! I use them all year round here is Ireland so you can quantify the crap roads and weather !! :wink:

From a quick search at the usual suspects I found :

http://www.slanecycles.com/campagnolo-n ... -3030.html

Lil' bit more but then again they are a lil' bit more wheel :

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/m ... 6hr2rdi117

Even better deal :

http://www.bikebuster.com/details/260449.html

balayeur

by balayeur

just a bump because i'd like to find a set of affordable campy hubs to build for trainer/bab weather rides.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Bringing this thread back up.
Are the recent Mavic Open Pro ceramic rims ok ? Anyone using them ?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

strobbekoen wrote:Bringing this thread back up.
Are the recent Mavic Open Pro ceramic rims ok ? Anyone using them ?

Well, even though I am not a huge fan of eyeletted rims, the OP ceramics have gotten good feedback. We have only sold 2 of the ceramic versions, but from what I have heard back they are up to par with durability. Now, some have gone into this purchase with the mentality of finding better braking. And I don't think this very realistic to hope for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com