1300g vs 1500g 50mm carbon clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

athletic91

by athletic91

Several folks in my group ride told me not to get too light aero rims, reason that they do not hold speed wheel due to lack of momentum.

Thus my question is same rim profile, same spokes , same hubs , the set with heavier rims is 1500g and the set with lighter rims is 1300g, which wheel will take lesser effort to maintain 40km/h

Marin

by Marin

It will be *exactly* the same difference as adding 200g to your helmet or drinking 200ml of water.

1300g 50mm clinchers is seriously light BTW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I don't think you need to avoid lighter wheels.

The saying goes that one shouldn't underestimate a heavier wheel being fast.

They hold speed well but they don't require less energy.

You might have more momentum on a heavier bike that's rolling at high speed and thus slow down less than a lighter rider when hitting a short incline, but the energy to achieve that momentum has already been spent. The lighter rider should still have a reserve.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I wanted to add that if you ride flats on a windy day with many sudden gusts of headwind then being light is going to be negative.

You won't use less energy going heavier but your momentum would help to lessen the drops in speed.

Ironically on gusty days we put our lighter shallower wheels on. :D

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

1300g vs 1500g is not enough of a difference to make a difference in reality. Especially because the weight saving will be at the hub. Rim weight difference can be felt but there is a difference between feeling it, imagining it might be there and there being a real world pace difference.

Buying a wheelset based on weight alone can be a mistake. Buy based on the spec you need. Then choose which is the lightest of the options that meet that spec and sit within your budget. The spec should include the hub, ease of service, spares availability, reliability.......

1300g 50mm clinchers is possible with 450g rim and extralite hubs, CXrays and 20F/24R spoke count. Do extralite hubs meet your needs though.