Soul wheels S2.0 (pics)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johhny Bravo

by Johhny Bravo

Raxel wrote:
Below is my dad's budget WW bike with s2.0 wheels, weighing 6270g/13.8lbs with porky 1317g frame.

WOW! that's a nice setup and weight!
Can you tell us what you have there, in details?
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

Hi guys,

So sorry for the double post but I realised that it was more obvious to post the update to our wheels here instead of at the lightest clincher production wheel thread.

I didn't want to start another thread for fear of looking like I was trying to promote my own products on this site. I just wanted to show what we are working on now. These are our new SOUL hubs which should only be released in the second quarter of 2009. We are currently testing them. Here are pictures and weights for the wheels. The rims are 24mm and we are now moving to 20/24 as the new rims we feel are strong enough. The wheels have started being tested. So far the feedback has been extremely encouraging. The rear wheel is absolutely solid, however we are working on changing the lacing to a 1x NDS for increased durability.

The new hubs have:

1) wider flange spacings for a stiffer built wheel
2) improved water seals for all bearings
3) faster engagements.
4) New hubshell material which is stronger.

Front- 570g
Rear-736g

TOTAL- 1306g

The weight remains the same as our previous versions. We will be offering these wheels in 2 versions, a S2.0max and an S2.0SL. The max comes with bigger bladed spokes for a stiffer ride. The SL comes with smaller bladed spokes and full alloy nipples. Testing will continue and I will update this thread with any useful information.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Phill P

by Phill P

With the rear spacing that wide any chance of going 24 spoke triplette on the rear for the 3.0 and 4.0?

New rim? Are you getting custom profiles now?

Johhny Bravo

by Johhny Bravo

Any chance to work with no-hole rims (internal holes), so we can use tubeless tires? (if the current ones have strong sidewalls, of course)
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

The 2:1 spoke pattern still bothers me a little. We have been testing them for some time now. People break spokes, it's just a matter of time, and with the 2:1 spoke pattern, once you break a spoke, the rear wheel goes out of true so badly that with the minimal clearances of modern frames, the wheel has a very high chance of getting locked up in the frame causing some serious damage. I understand the logic behind it, and I actually still have a couple of them built up and going strong after a year.

Here are a couple of other things to consider. Our production run wheels always have brass nipples DS. 2:1 means more brass nipples, hence slightly heavier weight (we are on WW here afterall). NDS nipples are also alloy and with the increased spoke tensions, chances of the alloy nipples breaking are higher, in fact one of our test wheels actually broke a nipple after about 6 months of usage. The chances are even higher if you rode alot in the rain (singapore).

Tubeless technology in my mind also isn't going to be taking off anytime soon. Firstly there is the whole patenting issue, and then there are availability issues. Until the industry decides it's the way of the future, we will continue to build our wheels with J-bend spokes and traditional spoke lacing and mounting techniques.

irwan

by irwan

Show them that bike you showed me Sean! That's a reeeaallll beauty!

nathanb74

by nathanb74

Can anyone tell me what size bearings the S2.0's use in the rear hub non drive side. Have tried contacting Sean but he's away until Feb 5.

Raxel

by Raxel

Do you have any plan of building a low-profile carbon tubular wheelset with your hubs and spokes? I'd like to see a reasonably priced sub-900g wheelset with lightweight carbon rim such as Edge 24mm tublar rim.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Damn I only just found out about these wheels!!!

Sounds like the 2.0 are the way to go?

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Get with the program already.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

stella-azzurra wrote:Get with the program already.

:lol:

I really am inept when it comes to this sort of stuff. But hey, better I found them now than after I nearly spent over $100 more on some AC that are not as light and with crappy hubs.

Oh and Ras how did you get the Trek down to that weight with that frame?!?!?! :shock:

holycao86

by holycao86

Have you looked into getting some?

I contacted Sean about getting some S4.0's a few weeks ago, and he said there was a 4-5 week wait. Its worth it for me because I can just ride my current wheels but just giving you a heads up.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

holycao86 wrote:Have you looked into getting some?

I contacted Sean about getting some S4.0's a few weeks ago, and he said there was a 4-5 week wait. Its worth it for me because I can just ride my current wheels but just giving you a heads up.

I certainly have. And Sean replied within half a day.

Emailed back asking about an order for a set of 2.0's - waiting to hear back!

holycao86

by holycao86

They now also come in your choice of nipple and hub end cap colors too. Sean offered me a bunch of choices, but I settled on red. The 4.0's come with new decals as well, so if you like the stealth look you should ask him if he's making these for the 2.0s as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Ill wait and see what he emails back and offers on the 2.0'. But I was initially after the 3.0 and he did mention the changes that they had made to them.

And that bike looks pretty sweet!!!