HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:09 pm
Posts: 2433
I built up a great wheelset under 1300g. Kinlin XR-200 rims built up into a 1279g wheelset (567g F / 712g R) with Dati hubs, 20/24 CX-ray spokes, and alloy nipples. Pretty good for the money (US$352.00).

Image

_________________
TED
Schoorl, Noord-Holland, Nederland
Bike Pics
English Custom Steel Internal di2
Litespeed Ghisallo


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:45 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 am
Posts: 5010
Location: New York
I like that. Very good xnavalav8r.

Just need to be below 190 lb and use 24 or 28 drilling.

_________________
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am
Posts: 539
Location: Surrey UK
xnavalav8r wrote:
I built up a great wheelset under 1300g. Kinlin XR-200 rims built up into a 1279g wheelset (567g F / 712g R) with Dati hubs, 20/24

Stay away of Dati hubs, Rubbish, Rubbish, Rubbish!!! Sorry, but I'm allergic to these hubs.
Proved to be completely shit for riders 200lb an equally for 140lb. Do the search.

_________________
Cervelo R5 VWD 5637g/12.43lb
Pronghorn XC SW Race 8284g/18.26lb


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:48 pm
Posts: 755
Location: Denmark
Kermithimself wrote:
Instead of posting a completely new topic, I thought I might get my questions answered here.

77-78 kgs, sprinter kinda guy, looking for a wheelset that can be used for climbing, but also sturdy enough to be used for training.

Would like to keep it sub 1300 grams, and already have an option that involves:
Tune Mig45/Mag170 hubs
Sapim CX spokes - 24/28
Criterium rims - looks like a Kinlin XR200

Just below 600 euros.

I want to keep it clincher, as I never got around to being a fan of tubulars.

So my questions are:
1. I read something about Stan Notubes had some failure issues when used as clincher - anybody can confirm this? Or would that be a good rim as well?

2. Should I go with a 24/28 option due to my weight/power? Or can I go lower than that?

3. What other hubs are similar to the Tune Mig45/Mag170 in terms of weight/durability?

4. Would there be any idea in taking a rim with a slighty higher profile, such as a Kinlin XR270, which should be stiffer, and then go with a lower spokecount?

I had a set of Dura Ace C24 clinchers that were good. A tad flexy under load, but worked good for climbing.

No one?

_________________
-----------------------------
I like Spanish bikes and cars. Riding an Orbea Orca and a Seat Ibiza.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 am
Posts: 5010
Location: New York
1415chris wrote:
xnavalav8r wrote:
I built up a great wheelset under 1300g. Kinlin XR-200 rims built up into a 1279g wheelset (567g F / 712g R) with Dati hubs, 20/24

Stay away of Dati hubs, Rubbish, Rubbish, Rubbish!!! Sorry, but I'm allergic to these hubs.
Proved to be completely shit for riders 200lb an equally for 140lb. Do the search.


Can't seem to find bad reviews. Where are you looking.

_________________
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:44 am
Posts: 1682
Location: Canada
Kermithimself wrote:
Kermithimself wrote:
Instead of posting a completely new topic, I thought I might get my questions answered here.

77-78 kgs, sprinter kinda guy, looking for a wheelset that can be used for climbing, but also sturdy enough to be used for training.

Would like to keep it sub 1300 grams, and already have an option that involves:
Tune Mig45/Mag170 hubs
Sapim CX spokes - 24/28
Criterium rims - looks like a Kinlin XR200

Just below 600 euros.

I want to keep it clincher, as I never got around to being a fan of tubulars.

So my questions are:
1. I read something about Stan Notubes had some failure issues when used as clincher - anybody can confirm this? Or would that be a good rim as well?

2. Should I go with a 24/28 option due to my weight/power? Or can I go lower than that?

3. What other hubs are similar to the Tune Mig45/Mag170 in terms of weight/durability?

4. Would there be any idea in taking a rim with a slighty higher profile, such as a Kinlin XR270, which should be stiffer, and then go with a lower spokecount?

I had a set of Dura Ace C24 clinchers that were good. A tad flexy under load, but worked good for climbing.

No one?


Look out for a couple of Stan's Alpha 340 threads kermit.

I built a set with the older, lighter Stan's Alpha 340 for a 175 lbs friend. 24/28h, with CX Rays and alloy nipples, and Tune Mig70/Mag 170. It came at 1208g if my memory's correct). The rear wheel spokes slacked after about 1000-1200 km's. I re-tensionned the wheel this spring, didn't hear anything from him since, so I suppose the wheels are fine. The wheels are good as light climbing wheels (for my friends use), but definitely not under the stiff category. Depending on the type of riding and the roads it still can be an everyday wheelset...

Using XR 270 would bring you more in the 1375-1400g category, definitely stiffer.

Louis :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:40 am 
Offline
in the industry

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 1222
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
My every day clinchers weigh in at 1362g and I am 82kg. I have 28 spoke XR-200 on Novatec hubs. I went with 28H rims as that is all the distributor had. Now they have 24H rim coming. so If I were to redo my wheels I would do 24F/28R with Novatec A291/F482 SB-SL rim, laser spokes and alloy nipples and weight would be in the 1310g range for not alot of money.

Weather they would be fine for riders heavier than me is an open question but for me they would be fine.

_________________
www.thecycleclinic.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:21 am
Posts: 146
I'm also planning to tackle the sub 1300g "everyday" clincher too. Also, this will also be my first wheel build, so please bare with me if I ask a newbie question.

Here's a quick profile about me:
150lbs 5'8"
Loves climbing and mashing up a hill, this is what I would be mainly using the wheels for

I would need some recommendation on parts, so here are some of my requirements:
-Stiff
-Soul S2.0 as a benchmark in terms of weight and price


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am
Posts: 539
Location: Surrey UK
stella-azzurra wrote:
1415chris wrote:
xnavalav8r wrote:
I built up a great wheelset under 1300g. Kinlin XR-200 rims built up into a 1279g wheelset (567g F / 712g R) with Dati hubs, 20/24

Stay away of Dati hubs, Rubbish, Rubbish, Rubbish!!! Sorry, but I'm allergic to these hubs.
Proved to be completely shit for riders 200lb an equally for 140lb. Do the search.


Can't seem to find bad reviews. Where are you looking.


I'm pretty sure I was posting these pictures before, don't remember where...

First one, rider about 60kg/ 130lb, mileage 4-5k km/2.5-3.1k m.
Broken spindle and destroyed ratchet pawl slots as shown on the pictures:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11780281 ... banner=pwa

Second one (mine) rider about 90kg/ 200lb, mileage about 4.5k km/ 2.8k m.
Broken pawl, and spindle. Bearings of the front one, after maybe 2k km/ 1.2k m picked up the drug.

Bear in mind the rear spindle is only 10mm! General, quality of these hubs is very questionable at least.
In my case the worst hubs I had a pleasure to deal with, by quite distance :wink:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90178027@N02/9212752453/"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90178027@N ... otostream/"

_________________
Cervelo R5 VWD 5637g/12.43lb
Pronghorn XC SW Race 8284g/18.26lb


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:21 am
Posts: 146
MNX1024 wrote:
I'm also planning to tackle the sub 1300g "everyday" clincher too. Also, this will also be my first wheel build, so please bare with me if I ask a newbie question.

Here's a quick profile about me:
150lbs 5'8"
Loves climbing and mashing up a hill, this is what I would be mainly using the wheels for

I would need some recommendation on parts, so here are some of my requirements:
-Stiff
-Soul S2.0 as a benchmark in terms of weight and price


So, no one wants to help me out here?

Anyway, aftter some research, here is my potential build list.

Rims:
Pacenti SL23
Kinlin XR19W
Kinlin XR-200
Stan's NoTubes ZTR Alpha 340 Rim

Hubs:
UL190 UltraLight Rear Hub
SLF71W SuperLight Wide Front Hub
UL66 UltraLight Front Road Hub
Dati Hubset

Spokes:
Sapim CX-Ray

Nipples:
?

So, for rims I'm leaning towards the Pacenti more since it does have a wider width and I do like that for various reason. Also, it's probably the stiffest out of the three I listed. Now, my question is, is it possible to build a wheelset under 1300g with the Pacenti rims? Is the XR19W much more stiffer than the XR-200, enough to warrant the weight gain or should I just go with the XR-200 if I decide to got he Kinlin route? Stan Alpha 340 vs XR-200?

As for hubs, I'm not sure which one to go for on the front. Any comment or feedback concerning the hubs I listed would be nice. I know that there's some bad reviews with the Dati, but they're cheap and light, can't complain especially these will be just everday wheels.

Nipples! There's just too many to choose from and I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at. Some recommendation and thorough explaination of "why those" would be real nice so I can understand the difference between them.

xnavalav8r wrote:
I built up a great wheelset under 1300g. Kinlin XR-200 rims built up into a 1279g wheelset (567g F / 712g R) with Dati hubs, 20/24 CX-ray spokes, and alloy nipples. Pretty good for the money (US$352.00).

Image


How do you like your build so far? Are they any good with standing up and mashing up a hill? I might go your route with some slight modification seeing how it's light and inexpensive.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:47 pm
Posts: 1639
Location: Santa Cruz, California, USA
XR200s laced 20/24 on Dati hubs with narrow flange spacing will anything but stiff.

And they're not everyday wheels.

I'm 145 lbs and do a lot of climbing. My everyday wheels are XR270s on BHS hubs, 20/28. They weigh about 1440g. You can have light or you can have stiff and durable. But you can't have both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 8:31 pm
Posts: 226
Location: Denver
I certainly can be done.

My every day wheels: Stans 340 (new style), Alchemy ELF/ ORC hubs laced 24/28 2x, Sapim C-Xrays, aluminum nipples. 1270g with Stan's tape. I've been riding them for a year, never needed truing or had a problem. I'm 58kg.

You could still get close to 1300 will a less expensive hub set.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 685
^^^dmp...this is the way to go...like that build.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:00 am
Posts: 425
Location: Asstralia
Hey all,
I live and ride in the mountains of Japan, especially the Japanese alps and would like to build a set of tubulars for everyday riding which includes lots of mountain passes and descents.
I want to avoid carbon rims on this build due to high possibility of wet conditions or snow in the early/ lat parts o the year.

What do you guys recommend ?

I'm thinking ambrosio cronos 28f 32r laced 2 or 3x front and rear, sapim laser or a mix of revolution front, comp and rev mix rear, al nipples on tune mig70 mag 170.

I weigh around 65-69kg depending on the time of year.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:19 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 593
Location: UK
I have Ambrosio F20's 28 / 32 on Chris Kings with cxray and they are plenty strong enough for my 80kg, suggest you could drop to 28 x 28 at your weight (depending on your power levels of course)

Oh and that build wighs 623 FR, 771 RR

_________________
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti Responsorium
Parlee Z5i
Donhou Commuter
1946 MacLeans Featherweight (L'Eroica!)
1991 Cannondale SM1000 (currently being renovated)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. FS: Tune mig mag stans sub 1300g wheelset - campag / cx rays

in For sale - Pictures are mandatory 22-3-13

oldmuthariley

0

416

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:55 pm

oldmuthariley View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 4 Spoke wheel as an everyday?

in Everything wheels

Brasco82

2

412

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:08 am

mattr View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. WTB Carbon Clinchers

in Wanted

tomp

0

110

Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:02 pm

tomp View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Enve 3.4 clinchers

in Wanted

pschnei3

0

131

Sat May 31, 2014 4:10 am

pschnei3 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Cheap carbon clinchers

in Everything wheels

nick

8

1006

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:49 pm

nick View the latest post


It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB