Sub 1300g "everyday" clinchers. Can it be done?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Rounding up the last bits for my build.

Can I buy sub 1300g clinchers that will hold up to everyday abuse under a 190lb rider who only rides 2000 miles/YR? If they last me four years I will be happy. I am normally gentle of wheelsets if it matters :lol: Oh, and I want to keep it under $1000.

Am I crazy or :?:

ergott

by ergott

M5 front hub
Mag 160 rear hub (Tune)
any 400g clincher rim (some Aerohead way same or less, IRD Cadence, Kinlin Nb-r)
Sapim CX-Rays
24 radial front
28 spokes 2X/3X rear
alloy nipples

1275g give or take a few grams

That'll do it

-Eric

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan!

by Dan!

If you actually want to beat the 1300g barrier, probably your only choice is American Classic Sprint 350s custom-built with a lower spoke count (24/28?) and CX-Rays. That would be $900, and the listings say they come in between 1250g and 1290g (likely closer to the latter, since the rims get a little heavier every year).

That spoke count on those lightweight rims is probably normally outside advisability for a 190lb rider, but if you're kind to wheels, they might be fine.

If you can settle for 1350g, there are a variety of more reliable options from custom wheelbuilders -- try Troy Watson at Ligero Wheelworks (bikemesenger on this forum) or Ergott, or any of a number of other good builders. The only real reason they can't meet AC's weight (even though the custom guys' build quality should be better) is that the lightest non-AC rims are about 20g/wheel heavier, and AC doesn't sell their rims separately.

Edit: oh, hey, look -- Ergott beat me to it. But isn't a Mag 160 going to push it well over $1000?

ergott

by ergott

That set is very close to all of his objectives.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Good suggestions so far... but you might consider raising your target weight a little, where more robust (and less expensive) hubs and rims can be used.

ehudk

by ehudk

Bontrager XXX clincher...

Will hold your weight just fine...

Weight = 1351 g.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Velocity Aeroheads, Tune 190 / 70 (is that right?), CX-Ray 24 / 28 + veloplugs. 1354g. Don't know if they would be stiff enough for you, but at 75kg (I know) they are plenty stiff for me.

sawyer

by sawyer

on the robustness / weight trade-off i rate the new Shamal ultras I have. They are just over 1400g actual weight but so far appear to be as solid as a pair of Eurus or Neutrons. Not bad. not very aero sadly, but a good road racing/training/crit wheel.

rustychain

by rustychain

A word on the spokes. CXrays have had issues breaking lately. There is a thread on it if you do a search.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I am not sure how often I have to say it, but those AmClassic 350 Sprints are fragile and worthless with the stock rims. Forget them if you are in the +/- 190 lb range. Actually forget them at any body weight. I watched my wife struggle with a set for a season - rebuilt twice. They now look very fast hanging on the wall in the garage collecting dust.

addicted

by addicted

Is it really worth building a lightweight set of wheels if you are still gonna use a 450 gram rim? I thought the idea behind using lighter wheels was to lower the rotating weight?
Did FSA drop the magnesium wheels they were advertising a short while ago?

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I dont understand why a guy of your weight would be looking for such light clinchers, especially as a daily rider. Light alloy rims need more spokes, getting the spoke count down with your weight seems ill advise to me. Saving weight with expensive ultralight hubs is okay if you want to, but it does not help for a better wheel either.. A solid and stiff 1500g wheelset would be more enjoyable to ride.

portuguese mike

by portuguese mike

Rolf Elan Aero RS weigh in at 1370g inlcuding QR skewers (the standard ones are 1300g but may not be robust enough). I weigh a shade under 170lbs and the roads around here are terrible and i've not had any problems.
mikey

bbtheory

by bbtheory

Topolino CX 2.0.... not the cheapest wheel set out there, but they are light and amazing to ride.... not stiff but very comfortable and they do accelerate well, they are able to handle very heavy riders and rough road conditions with aplomb.
Wouldn't it be nice if people actually read what you wrote before responding?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mises

by mises

I also think ~1350g is a more reasonable target for everyday wheels. To get under 1300 requires lighter rear hubs which always end up with less durability and more maintenance hassles (the mag160 is a perfect example of that).

At 1350g you can use Campy, DT, mag190 or others in the rear and have less durability and maintenance headaches at a lower cost, and with the right parts still be able to go with a higher spoke count which would work better for your weight.