Cosmic Pro Carbon v Speed 40C v Attack - choice?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BedsGorilla

by BedsGorilla

Hi All. Looking for some wheel purchasing advice;

Weight - Lighter the better. Replacing Dura ace C24 (1420g), don’t really want to go heavier if I can help it.

Braking surface - must be black, must be ok for mountain descents (I’m 70kg so not too taxing, happy with carbon if proven) and ok in the wet

Rim width - 25mm absolute max - has to fit a 2014 Cannonade Evo which is very tight on rear clearance.

Cost - not primary driver but obviously less is better.

Narrowed the choice down to:

Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon - 1490g (claimed!!) - £1400 - braking said to be excellent, solid, semi-aero
Fulcrum Speed 40C - 1420g - lighter, semi-aero
Reynolds Attack - 1365g - £850 - lightest, not aero, about to be replaced?

Any opinions on these? Any obvious options I’ve missed?

Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Hands down the Speed 40. The best hubs and absolutely tested to be the safest carbon clinchers. The Reynolds were tested for braking heat and failed in the test. They are the cheapest for a reason. I would stay away from any Reynolds carbon clinchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BedsGorilla

by BedsGorilla

Yep has to be clincher.

Regarding the Reynolds - I've got a set of Assaults from 2008 which have survived a couple of descents of Mont Ventoux without drama so I wonder if they are that bad. But agree probably the least good of the three from a braking perspective.

Guevarca

by Guevarca

Another vote for Fulcrums as I recently had the same thoughts but actually went for the cheaper Quattro Carbons with finances tight after a bike theft. Speed 40s were my preference but went for some 2018 Quattros instead as cheaper but still had the new Ac3 braking surface to improve braking a bit more

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Regarding Reynolds and heat tests see the attached (see the text under smokin resin). I have a local friend who destroyed a recently produced set riding the local steep hills on a hot summer day. Luckily he wasn’t seriously injured. When contacted Reynolds refused to warranty the wheels.

The Quattros are good wheels if you don’t mind a bit more friction in the bearings and a bit more variation in actual weight. The Speed 40 is in the same class as the Campy Bora 35s. Identical sublime bearings but with a slight weight penalty (25g).

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Can you post the rest of that article or a link to it. The quattro and 40C are different wheelsets with different hubs.

I would vote for the 40C from that collection. I would also recommend xentis - braking is excellent and cool.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BedsGorilla

by BedsGorilla

So the Fulcrum 40C seem like the ideal choice. I hadn't realised how expensive they are though! £2100 here in the UK compared to £850 for the quattros. Anyone seen them anywhere cheaper? Seems odd when the Bora 35s (which seem very similar) can be had for £1450.

guyc

by guyc

Are the Boras not an option?

guyc

by guyc

If you can live without AC3 then the 2017 model are much cheaper:

https://www.slanecycles.com/fulcrum-rac ... bg0kd9j5u1

£1399

BedsGorilla

by BedsGorilla

Boras could be an option but all my bikes are shimano, Campag feels wrong (for no good reason!!).

Can I live without AC3? No idea. Reviews seem very mixed as to whether its any better for grip or just noisy. More interested on whether the heat resistance is better with AC3 but can't find any info out there.

guyc

by guyc

I’m running Bora with Dura-Ace. They’re such good wheels.

You’re right though. The Fulcrums are really pricey in comparison and more than Bora Ultras let alone Ones. Odd.

Guevarca

by Guevarca

I really wanted Boras but couldn’t stretch to them so picked up some Quattro Ac3, braking does seem better than the previous version and I’ve had no issue with noise so far so seem the best compromise as around £850 if you shop around
Am still keeping an eye out for a pair of used 40c or Boras but weight saving isn’t great and over time I’ll probably just upgrade the bearings in the Quattros

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I believe the Speed 40 tubular has the cult bearings. Not sure about the Speed 40 clinchers. I was going to get the Speed 40 but the price went up for some odd reason on Starbikes.com. So I ended up with the Bora 35 Ultras for roughly the same price. The Quattros are fine if you can live with sealed bearings (a bit more friction).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:37 am
I believe the Speed 40 tubular has the cult bearings. Not sure about the Speed 40 clinchers. I was going to get the Speed 40 but the price went up for some odd reason on Starbikes.com. So I ended up with the Bora 35 Ultras for roughly the same price. The Quattros are fine if you can live with sealed bearings (a bit more friction).

The Fulcrums use USB bearings. Front hub is carbon and rear is aluminium.

They're around £1850 online, with the the AC3 Bora 35 Ultras £1899, and the 3d Diamante (2017's) £1768. The AC3 Bora 35 One's are £1449.