Tyres For Bora 50’s

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neeb

by neeb

Interesting, thanks.

My 25s are definitely a fraction of a mm narrower (I can touch calipers to the 24.2mm rim and the rubber is not touching at most places on the circumference), but that's at about 90-95 PSI.

Reckon there could be any issues with running 23mm up front and 25 at the rear with the slightly different heights affecting the geometry of the bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

I can't sense any problem with that but I have it right from the beginning of this one so I have nothing to compare.

finished a crit safely today with the bike tho so I guess there shouldn't be any issue.... hopefully.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

fogman

by fogman

@jlok. Thank you for the measurements. I forgot to ask, are those measurements for the clincher or tubular version of the Vittoria Corsa G+?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

jlok

by jlok

they're tubular.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I only use 23mm (or 24mm if you count the Spec. Turbo Cottons) tyres on my 17C boras (24.2 external) and all inflate to between 24-25mm which is perfect to me. 25mm tyres (only tried GP4000 S2) baloon to >27mm which looks awful and (i suspect) would not be very aerodynamic either.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

maxice

by maxice

Considering Bora 50 disc wheel for new build.

What would be the optimal size for either a GP5000 or Vittoria Corsa G+, thinking of 25 or 28mm. Is that too wide to be aero?

neeb

by neeb

maxice wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:22 pm
Considering Bora 50 disc wheel for new build.

What would be the optimal size for either a GP5000 or Vittoria Corsa G+, thinking of 25 or 28mm. Is that too wide to be aero?
For optimal aero with the Vittoria (tubular) I would go with 23mm at the front. The 25mm Corsas I have measure a little under at the pressures I run them at - almost exactly the same width as the rims at 24.2mm, so not aerodynamically disastrous. But with the 23mm (which maybe measure 22.5) you get a much better aerodynamic transition in theory, and I convinced myself I could feel it (possibly niaively!) when I swapped at the front (I still run 25mm at the back).

I do wonder if any of the pro teams using Campagnolo wheels use 23mm Corsas at the front, maybe labelled as 25mm..

RossLB

by RossLB

Vittoria tires are narrower than Contis when inflated. I use 25mm Vittoria Open Paves on my Bora 35s, which are just about perfect.

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Waiting for the Bora 35s to arrive and loving this thread.

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

A small update - the Specialized All Round 24 turned out a pefect fit for the Bora 35s, and the Competition 25 is not that far off.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^^ @Pokojnitoza, I think this thread is primarily discussing the Bora clincher versus the tubular version. Different scenarios completely. Actually, looking through the thread some discussion of tubulars is going on too. In any case, I think recommendations and experiences should qualify whether you’re talking about the tubular or clincher versions so it’s clear.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

My apologies if I derailed the thread.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No derailment. Just that there seems to be a mix of comments and sometimes it’s good to know if the comments are made in reference to tubular wheels or clincher wheels. For instance, a 24mm tubular will always have an effective size of 24mm regardless of the rim it’s mounted on. It will always take the same volume of air at a given pressure. With clinchers, depending on the rim it’s mounted on, a nominal 24mm tire could have a very different effective size when mounted and also take a very different volume of air, and hence, pressure.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

neeb wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:52 pm
I'm running the 25mm Vittoria Corsa G+ on my tubular Boras. They come up slightly narrow, measured width about 24mm, almost exactly the same width as the brake track. Doubtless the 23mm would be about 22mm actual width and slightly more aero.. would be interested to see a pic of what the G+ tubs in 23mm look like on the Boras given that they will be about 2mm narrower than the rim. The corresponding Vittoria clinchers will doubtless be wider when mounted, I'd certainly go with the 23mm for aero benefits in that case.
To continue the deraillment, my tubular 25mm Corsas are 24.3 almost everywhere I measure, while 23mm are from 22.8 to 23. The only caveat is the 23 is not glued up, I only mounted it to measure it for Neeb.

neeb

by neeb

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:05 pm
neeb wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:52 pm
I'm running the 25mm Vittoria Corsa G+ on my tubular Boras. They come up slightly narrow, measured width about 24mm, almost exactly the same width as the brake track. Doubtless the 23mm would be about 22mm actual width and slightly more aero.. would be interested to see a pic of what the G+ tubs in 23mm look like on the Boras given that they will be about 2mm narrower than the rim. The corresponding Vittoria clinchers will doubtless be wider when mounted, I'd certainly go with the 23mm for aero benefits in that case.
To continue the deraillment, my tubular 25mm Corsas are 24.3 almost everywhere I measure, while 23mm are from 22.8 to 23. The only caveat is the 23 is not glued up, I only mounted it to measure it for Neeb.
Brilliant, thanks. I'm now running 23mm Vittoria Corsa G+ at the front and 25mm at the rear on both my 35mm and 50mm Bora One tubulars.

At 90 psi the 23mm at the front measure anywhere between 22.5 and 23mm. I really love this combination (25 at back, 23 at front). Definitely feels faster to me, whether that's psychological or not I don't know, but I like it better.. ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com