Chris King Hub conversion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LiKuid

by LiKuid

Hi guys,
i bought a set of ENVE 65 classic wheels on Chris King hubs with a Campy freehub for my tri bike.
I need to change it to Shimano freehub and seems that this requires a complex axle change and redishing of the wheel.
Unfortunately, the number of Chris King dealers in Europe is very limited and the whole thing is getting out of hand in terms of cost. I was quoted 400 eur just for the parts...

Any experience there? Is there a workaround? Can i run the Campy cassette on my shimano 9100 drivetrain until i manage to find a solution?

Cheers

Multebear

by Multebear

I did this a couple of years ago with the CK R45 hub. There's no shortcut. It's a PITA and it's expensive. I had someone bring the spares from US to EU who did some holidey in NYC. Got away with around $ 300. You need freehub body, axle and some smaller parts, maybe a bearing. Don't quite remember.

I had a local CK dealer do the swap. Wheel redishing is not necessary.

It's no problem riding 11 speed campy cassettes on shimano 11 drivetrain. It's not perfect, but it works. I did that as well for a couple of months undtil the swap was made.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LiKuid

by LiKuid

Thanks for the info. I 'll try to do the same, run the Campy cassette on my Shimano drivetrain until i get the parts from the US. Do u have any idea if someone not experienced with CK hubs can do the swap?

benzebub

by benzebub

where are you located? I might want to do the swap the other way (shimano to campy), I'm from Belgium
But I could be wrong

thp

by thp

Swap is super easy, lots of videos on youtube if it's the whole assembly. Take off the preload and pull/rotate the freehub and pop.

LiKuid

by LiKuid

benzebub wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:31 am
where are you located? I might want to do the swap the other way (shimano to campy), I'm from Belgium
I am located in Greece. Are u talking about a wheel swap or hub swap?
I have an ENVE classic 65 rim on CK R45 hub 24 hole
thp wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:43 am
Swap is super easy, lots of videos on youtube if it's the whole assembly. Take off the preload and pull/rotate the freehub and pop.
Are you sure you are talking specifically about the Chris King hubs? Any other freehub change is super easy. This one seems quite a PITA

Multebear

by Multebear

As far as I know, you need some special chris king tools to disasemble the hub. I wouldn’t try to do that myself. But I’m not 100 % sure. I do most bike maintainance myself, but the CK hubs are too expensive for me to take it apart myself and try the trial and error way to fix it myself.

If you find someone who wants to go from Shimano to Campy, that’s definitely a very good solution. I sold of my Campy spares on ebay at around 140 euros. But I consider myself lucky to find someone who wanted to take them of my hands.

ergott

by ergott

Just swapping freehubs is easy and doesn't require the tools. Look up some videos. Also it shouldn't require a redish of wheel. That was only needed with Shimano 10 to Campagnolo.

benzebub

by benzebub

LiKuid wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:50 am
benzebub wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:31 am
I am located in Greece. Are u talking about a wheel swap or hub swap?
I have an ENVE classic 65 rim on CK R45 hub 24 hole
thp wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:43 am
Are you sure you are talking specifically about the Chris King hubs? Any other freehub change is super easy. This one seems quite a PITA
I just want to do the freehub swap. I've been holding of because of the price but maybe we can work out a trade for the parts?
But I could be wrong

LiKuid

by LiKuid

benzebub wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:45 am
I just want to do the freehub swap. I've been holding of because of the price but maybe we can work out a trade for the parts?
I 'll be away for a couple of weeks. When i get back, i 'll check with my lbs and let u know if we can work smt out

Carcinogent

by Carcinogent

ergott wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:41 am
Just swapping freehubs is easy and doesn't require the tools. Look up some videos. Also it shouldn't require a redish of wheel. That was only needed with Shimano 10 to Campagnolo.
It is not just a freehub body swap. You will need an axle as well. No special tools required other than a 2.5mm allen/hex key.

Axle and outer driveshell bearings are different.

As per the parts list here:
r45 rear Shimano
http://www.avt.bike/WebStore/merchant.m ... 45-SHIMANO

r45 rear Campagnolo
http://www.avt.bike/WebStore/merchant.m ... CAMPAGNOLO

r45 11 speed Shimano and Campagnolo have the same (wheelbuilding) dimensions, though the internal parts are different.

Best and cheapest bet is as somebody here mentioned use a Campagnolo cassette with Shimano. The spacing/indexing is almost identical to not matter when it comes to 11 speed.
Last edited by Carcinogent on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

benzebub

by benzebub

LiKuid wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:01 am
benzebub wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:45 am
I 'll be away for a couple of weeks. When i get back, i 'll check with my lbs and let u know if we can work smt out
perfect, just shoot me a private message if you want to do this!
But I could be wrong

ergott

by ergott

Yes, the axle is needed. I just meant the process is simple.

glepore

by glepore

Are you on 10 speed? On 11 buy a Campy cassette and forget about it. Functionally equivalent.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

LiKuid

by LiKuid

I am on 11 speed and already have Campy cassettes around from my previous bikes. I plan to run that setup till i sort out a full shimano conversion.
I guess though, that this will probably need a lot of derailleur adjustment when swapping wheels, or when i unplug the bike from my Shimano direct drive trainer and plug the Campy wheel

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com