50mm carbon aero wheels weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vowles

by Vowles

Hi there, I know that this has been brought up a lot but I can't seem to find any advice re weight of 50mm carbon wheels for someone who is 60-65kg. I have recently seen some 50mm carbon clincher Edco wheels that are around 2kg without skewers and was wondering if they would be considered heavy and wouldn't be as good to ride with as other lighter carbon wheels. I just dont know the effects of aerodynamics and how they will play into it.
If you could offer any assistance that would be extremely helpful,
Henry

Currently riding an f8 dogma if that makes any difference to the wheels decision?!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

2kg is very heavy. I used to own a pair of the Shimano C50 carbon/aluminum clinchers. They came in at 1,775g without skewers or rim tape. Then I bought a pair of Campy Boras 50's that came in at 1,470g without skewers (the Boras don't need rim tape). The difference in riding feel is astounding. I wouldn't own anything more than 1,500g. I weigh 60kg for your reference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

I agree. 50 mm deep section carbon clinchers shouldn't be more than 1700 grams. If they are close to 30 mm wide, maybe a little more though. But 25 mm wide 50 mm deep section will get you below 1600 grams.

Vowles

by Vowles

So not worth going for? They aren't going for much but I guess it isn't worth it then?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Do you have a URL link to the wheels in question? After seeing the wheels I can offer my opinion.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I can't say anything about Edco's quality however at 1,949g. without QR it's a very heavy wheelset. I don't know if this would be within your budget however the Fulcrum Quattro Carbon clinchers is an excellent wheelset for the price. The advertised weight is 1,555g. but everyone has theirs at 1,440-1,470g., with mine at 1,470g. after removing the stickers which saves roughly 15g. At 40mm deep it's a versatile wheelset, good for windy days and all-out efforts on the flats or on the climbs. I paid around $920 shipped from Starbike.com. There are several threads here on the Fulcrum Quattro Carbon. I also have a set of Campy Bora 50's and they weigh exactly the same as the Fulcrums. The bearings are better in the Boras. I use the Quattros on windy days and the Boras in the summer. Cost for the Boras was $1,450 but the price might have gone up since.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Yeah, that is super heavy, but it is a decent width at 25mm. If you want them for the aero properties and the look, they are inexpensive so why not? If you want them for weight, no way. Very heavy.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

bobones

by bobones

These 25mm wide and 1540g Zuus 50mm are very decent for £540 (with 10% discount code applied). You might find cheaper or lighter from China, but having a UK supplier, no customs charges, 60 day trial, warranty and crash replacement makes these low risk. I've had the original, heavier Zuus 50mm for almost 3 year / 10,000miles and they've been great: virtually no signs of wear on brake track and easy to maintain cartridge hubs. I've got the gloss black logos on mine and they still look great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vowles

by Vowles

Thanks bobones. Will have a look into them!
Henry