Titanium or steel freehub body for DT hubs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

I heard a rumour that it's possible to get free hub bodies for DT hubs in other materials than their shitty alu. Mine get ruined by gouging, and will only last me a season. Which is why I stopped using my wheels with DT hubs. Turns out that the only hubs that work well for me are with steel or titanium bodies. But I find the DT hubs being the best hubs on all other accounts. Does anyone know if it's possible to get bodies in steel or titanium for DT?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Multebear how much torque do you put on your cassette lockrings. 45Nm is really needed that normally stops notching. I dont get it on my own miche freehubs but I dont use DT Swiss. DT swiss freehubs for star ratchet hubs are available as you find them in aluminium.

Multebear

by Multebear

I don't have any clue how much torque i put in them. I make sure, the cassette, doesn't move. That's about it.

I gourge all my alu freehubs: Miche Primato Syntesi (both pairs), DT, CK R45, Bitex you name it. That's why I run Shimano 105 for winter (steel freehub), White Industries T11 and Dura Ace (both ti) now. But that limits the options considerably.

Do you now of any replacement freehubs for DT?

ergott

by ergott

Not the same tack your were taking, but Sram Red cassettes will solve your problem and are lighter too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

Thanks ergott. I just find that to be the wrong solution to the problem. You don't upgrade the cassette, because the freehub is a bad design. I'd rather build wheels with WI T11 in the future, and get rid of my wheels with DT hubs.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Or you can just go Campy and buy new wheels :D

Joking aside Bill Shook of the now defunct American Classic has a patent on an aluminum freehub with a steel insert. Some companies are using this design. Maybe they licensed it from Bill.

I used to use the Sram cassette but now I've gone with a big cassette (Ultegra 11-34) and I'm now seeing the same problem on my alu freehub.

https://www.google.com/patents/US20080315679

Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Multebear

by Multebear

Thanks pdlpsher1, that is a clever solution. But I like the idea of just buying of the shelf stuff, that works, and doesn't need tweaks. After owning wheelsets with just about all the top hubs, my wheelset with white industries hubs seems to be the the perfect match to my needs. Unfortunately they are laced to a set of carbon rims, which rules out riding them during winter here in Skandinavia.

ergott

by ergott

Multebear wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:18 pm
But I like the idea of just buying of the shelf stuff, that works, and doesn't need tweaks.
I hear you. I run Sram and Campagnolo. Neither have that issue. Only Shimano refuses to address the problem at all.

White Industries is indeed a great alternative to DT.

eric01

by eric01

Actually, Shimano DID try to address the problem. They tried with the Dura Ace 7800 high spline freehub in aluminum. Lasted 1 generation and never trickled down to Ultegra or 105. 7900 went back to titanium low spline.

The market spoke -- didn't catch on. The low spline was too far ingrained.

There's a reason Shimano doesn't make an aluminum low spline freehub...
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

When Sram came out with the XDr freehub standard they addressed the issue. If and when Shimano comes out with a new freehub to accommodate 12-speed surely they will address it.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

google industrial staples freehub body damage.

a charm

http://huckingkitty.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=68

actually used it to run 8spd campag sprockets-cassette on a 10 spd hub..

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Use a sram red cassette or similar construction and you wont get any gouging even on alloy freehubs. They are also crazy light and last very long. I picked up two used ones in good condition for a very reasonable price.

/a

Multebear

by Multebear

Thanks guys. But I’m not looking to remedy the problem with cowboy tricks or expensive cassettes. I like my Shimano 105 cassettes, since they are very reasonably priced. I’m looking for an of the shelf solution. If DT or other manufacturers arent able to make a product that works perfectly for my needs, I will turn my attention to other manufacturers such as white industries or Shimanos Dura Ace hubs.

mattr

by mattr

ergott wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:33 am
Only Shimano refuses to address the problem at all.
Shimano don't have a problem.
They designed a spline interface suitable for manufacture in certain grades of steel and titanium.
eric01 wrote:There's a reason Shimano doesn't make an aluminum low spline freehub...
:thumbup:

Multebear

by Multebear

^agree.

It’s all the other manufacturers who want to make the hubs as light as possible.... WW thing i gues...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com