Reynolds strike vs Roval CLX

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rkristensen

by rkristensen

Hi

In the next couple of days im getting my new Canyon Aeroad disc. It comes with Reynolds Strike wheels and im considering selling them and get the Roval CLX (either 64 or 50) instead. My main concern is the stiffness of the Roval disc wheels, im a big guy (2,0m and 95 kg) and therefore a lot of watts in the sprints. I have had wheels before that flexed to much so it is important they are rock solid. And is there any difference between how much flex you get on a rimbrake wheel is vs. a discbrake wheel?

Can anyone tell me if the Roval 64 have been upgraded i 2017? I have seen a bikeradar video on youtube where they slammed the wheel quit a bit, and then said the upgraded can come soon enough?

Hope to get your thoughts and advise.

morganb

by morganb

rkristensen wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:54 pm
Hi

In the next couple of days im getting my new Canyon Aeroad disc. It comes with Reynolds Strike wheels and im considering selling them and get the Roval CLX (either 64 or 50) instead. My main concern is the stiffness of the Roval disc wheels, im a big guy (2,0m and 95 kg) and therefore a lot of watts in the sprints. I have had wheels before that flexed to much so it is important they are rock solid. And is there any difference between how much flex you get on a rimbrake wheel is vs. a discbrake wheel?

Can anyone tell me if the Roval 64 have been upgraded i 2017? I have seen a bikeradar video on youtube where they slammed the wheel quit a bit, and then said the upgraded can come soon enough?

Hope to get your thoughts and advise.
The bike radar test was extremely suspect, as they had larger gaps between wheels in terms of watts than the difference between a box section 36 hole wheel with 2.0 straight spokes the fastest disc wheel in existence.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

I'm the same weight as you and in my couple rides on my Aeroad disc so far, I swear I've heard some rotor rub during hard efforts. I'll pay more attention on the next ride and see if I can pinpoint it. I have the stock Reynolds Strike.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

dcorn wrote:I'm the same weight as you and in my couple rides on my Aeroad disc so far, I swear I've heard some rotor rub during hard efforts. I'll pay more attention on the next ride and see if I can pinpoint it. I have the stock Reynolds Strike.
Rotor rub has nothing to do with wheel stiffness, if anything a less stuff wheel would have less risk of rub because the wheel will flex before anything else.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

ancker

by ancker

I did a _lot_ of reading comparing these two wheelsets before ultimately settling on the Strike.
BUT, that was due to the better braking in the rim brake configuration, everything else was almost a wash.

The one thing I'd be careful about is the Rovals are really wide. Frame clearance might be an issue if you plan to use 25s or 28s as those will likely measure much wider on the Rovals.

rkristensen

by rkristensen

Thx for the replays so fare.

Do anybody know if the CLX 64 have been upgraded in 2017/2018, i got a really good offer for the CLX 64 so that is why i'm asking...

dim

by dim

you are a big lad .... with your budget, I'd be looking at something totally different (andslightly heavier)

HED Belgium Plus rims, Chris King R45 hubs (with Ceramic bearings), Sapiem CX Ray spokes and good fast light tubeless tyres such as IRC

(Thats what I have) .... and you will have a lot of spare cash to buy other things
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

dcorn

by dcorn

ancker wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:54 pm
I did a _lot_ of reading comparing these two wheelsets before ultimately settling on the Strike.
BUT, that was due to the better braking in the rim brake configuration, everything else was almost a wash.

The one thing I'd be careful about is the Rovals are really wide. Frame clearance might be an issue if you plan to use 25s or 28s as those will likely measure much wider on the Rovals.
The Strike's have a 17mm inside width. My stock 23/25c tires measure 25 and 27 on the Strike wheels, so same issue.

bllx

by bllx

dcorn wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:12 pm
ancker wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:54 pm

The Strike's have a 17mm inside width. My stock 23/25c tires measure 25 and 27 on the Strike wheels, so same issue.
Well, roval clx:es are almost 21 mm internally.

jlok

by jlok

25mm Pro One Tubeless will become 28.xmm when mounted on the CLX50.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

dcorn

by dcorn

bllx wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:48 pm

Well, roval clx:es are almost 21 mm internally.
I get it, I was just providing a reference to the stock wheels.

The Axis wheels on my Crux are 21mm internally and the 32mm Hutchinson Sector slicks I put on them measure out to exactly 32mm. And the 36mm Clement MSOs on those wheels measure 36mm. Both mounted tubeless. So I don't think its a linear relationship between wider wheels making tires wider than their advertised width.

Seems like we're to the point where tire manufacturers should specify multiple widths on their tires depending on the wheel width it's mounted on. Stan's labels their wheels with multiple max tire pressures based on tire width/volume, so I don't see why tires can't do the same thing.

rkristensen

by rkristensen

First of I’m currently running stock wheels in the form of fulcrum zero and dura ace C50’s both alloy clinchers. Both of these wheels are stiff enough and I don’t have any problems with brake rub at all!

So I’m looking for a wheelset with enough stiffness and maybe a bit more versatile than the quite heavy Reynolds.

I think I will be looking for the clx 50!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com