Quick Releases

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alumen

by Alumen

How much can I save on my quick releases ?

And does that impact on the safety or the ride behaviour ?
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

Alumen wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 pm

I'm not sure ...

but what I have learned recently is that one should not skimp on weight when it comes to quick releases ...

Many recomend the newer Dura Ace skewers (which I will be buying on next payday ... plus the new Dura ace pedals thjat have the 40mm extension on the shafts which I will also buy) ...

these are the 2 things that one must choose wisely, and forget about weight savings
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

TonyM

by TonyM

And not to forget some skewers tend to increase the chance of producing some creaky sounds out of the wheels ...

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you have squeaky dropouts you need a bit more robust quick release.

I'm running 27gr/pair quick release without carbon axle (butted titanium) and it holds fine at lower tensions

For higher tensions you'd need a bit more material on the nuts/axle. Around 50gr/pair kind works well for my friend's sqeaky trek domane. Feels very solid closing them tight. Remember to grease them regularly because 7075 alloy doesn't play that well unmaintained year after year.

/a

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yup. Pedals and QRs are two things I want to be robust. From my own experience both of them contribute to power transfer. I’m using Dura Ace pedals and Mavic Ti QRs (88 grams). The Mavic QRs clamp as well as Dura Ace QRs but at a lighter weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Don't forget to grease your axle and nuts regularly! :lol:

Wookski

by Wookski

I run Extralite Streeters- 29g and triple butted ti. Never had an issue with noise and holds fine.
Easy way to save 100g compared to Dura Ace or Campagnolo boat anchors.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

for the weight of Dura-Ace QR, we are already in the territory of Thru-Axle 's weight.
And Thru-Axle will still be stiffer than Dura-Ace anyway.
I support the move to thru-axle design on everything, disc brake or rim.

Wookski

by Wookski

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:13 pm
for the weight of Dura-Ace QR, we are already in the territory of Thru-Axle 's weight.
And Thru-Axle will still be stiffer than Dura-Ace anyway.
I support the move to thru-axle design on everything, disc brake or rim.
I don’t- it’s completely unnecessary for rim braking. And most people who care about weight would never run a QR as heavy as Dura-ace.

AJS914

by AJS914

Zipp Ti skewers are pretty darn good. They aren't the lightest but are pretty light. They have a brass cam and I can often find them for around $40/pair.

stormur

by stormur

Alumen wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 pm

It depends on your dental clinic price list and how good your medical insurance is, but I would say a lot.

Last place to save weight.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

sp3000

by sp3000

I went down this rabbit hole... Tried a bunch, Tune, Extralite. I now am back on DT Swiss RWS. The long and the short of it is that Ti stretches under load regardless of tension, simply, no matter how tight you get a thin Ti skewer it will still basically stretch the same (an engineer on here will explain better than me) so the result is that if you are strong the side loads on the dropouts allow the interface to flex and the rim move. If you are going for light skewers it's probably safe to assume that you already run light wheels, in my case this would result in brake rub, even frame rub with 25mm tyres. After trying every trick in the book I just went back to thicker non-butted but still Ti DT skewers and have never thought about it until now! Not worth the headache in my opinion.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

sp3000 wrote:I went down this rabbit hole... Tried a bunch, Tune, Extralite. I now am back on DT Swiss RWS. The long and the short of it is that Ti stretches under load regardless of tension, simply, no matter how tight you get a thin Ti skewer it will still basically stretch the same (an engineer on here will explain better than me) so the result is that if you are strong the side loads on the dropouts allow the interface to flex and the rim move. If you are going for light skewers it's probably safe to assume that you already run light wheels, in my case this would result in brake rub, even frame rub with 25mm tyres. After trying every trick in the book I just went back to thicker non-butted but still Ti DT skewers and have never thought about it until now! Not worth the headache in my opinion.
+1. I’m now using non-butted Ti rod and an internal cam mechanism on my QR (Mavic Ti). I have heard a lot of good things on the DT RWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dj97223

by dj97223

I've been using KCNC Ti skewers for several years with no problems.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sp3000

by sp3000

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:05 pm
sp3000 wrote:I went down this rabbit hole... Tried a bunch, Tune, Extralite. I now am back on DT Swiss RWS. The long and the short of it is that Ti stretches under load regardless of tension, simply, no matter how tight you get a thin Ti skewer it will still basically stretch the same (an engineer on here will explain better than me) so the result is that if you are strong the side loads on the dropouts allow the interface to flex and the rim move. If you are going for light skewers it's probably safe to assume that you already run light wheels, in my case this would result in brake rub, even frame rub with 25mm tyres. After trying every trick in the book I just went back to thicker non-butted but still Ti DT skewers and have never thought about it until now! Not worth the headache in my opinion.
+1. I’m now using non-butted Ti rod and an internal cam mechanism on my QR (Mavic Ti). I have heard a lot of good things on the DT RWS.

The Mavic QR's are excellent, just as good as the DT Swiss, only difference is in how easy the DT Swiss are to use because you screw them up rather than clamp closed. The Mavic can be tight to open where the DT is just unwinding. When riding I would say no difference at all, just easier on the DT to adjust the tension as you do them up albeit a little slower.