Wheels for heavier rider??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A data point regarding Campy wheels for you. I met a guy on at bike trip in Europe. He spends a couple weeks each year doing serious mountain trips. His weight moves between 275 and 300 pounds (125 kg to 135 kg). I spoke at length to him about his equipment choices. When it came to wheels he would use either Shamal Ultra or Fulcrum Zero and nothing else.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

Well, it looks like I need to find a set of Fulcrums, and be done with it!!

I found some at good prices, so I think that's the direction I'm gonna head. Thanks to all who chimed in, you made my decision making a lot easier!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

dont rush .... $1000 gets you HED Belgium Plus laced to Chris King R45 hubs ...
http://wheelshop.chrisking.com/hed-belg ... r45-28-28/

I have these and am very pleased ... I'm using IRC tubeless tyres at the moment
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Data points really. that is one rider and each rider is different. for every rider that is 125kg riding campag wheel you can find another that breaks them. I have a tester that is 110kg and he breaks frames and a few of my wheels. I have finally found a combo that works for him it took three attempts.

Most people dont understand wheels so they go by recomendation. I build them and know what combinations last for a large range of riders. I also know what does not.

So the fulcrums may work if you are generally kind to wheels. If you are a serial wheel breaker then a spoke may fail before the rim wear out. That for some is o.k if it happens after 5000 miles, to me that a failure.

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

dim wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:17 am

These wide rims won't clear my chainstays. I've barely got clearance now, on old Mavic's, with a 15mm internal width.

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:09 am
Data points really. that is one rider and each rider is different. for every rider that is 125kg riding campag wheel you can find another that breaks them. I have a tester that is 110kg and he breaks frames and a few of my wheels. I have finally found a combo that works for him it took three attempts.

Most people dont understand wheels so they go by recomendation. I build them and know what combinations last for a large range of riders. I also know what does not.

So the fulcrums may work if you are generally kind to wheels. If you are a serial wheel breaker then a spoke may fail before the rim wear out. That for some is o.k if it happens after 5000 miles, to me that a failure.
For a larger fellow, I'm pretty easy on wheels!! I've only broken spokes on the lightest, or lowest spoke count wheels!!

Vagabond

by Vagabond

When i decided to get back into cycling I weighed 235 pounds or so. I jumped right on Fulcrum Racing Zeros, then Shamals, and shortly after tubular Hyperons. No problems for me. While more expensive than what you’re looking for my point is that the wheels are not going to collapse or break spokes at your weight. The recommended weight limit for super light low spoke count Hyperons is 240 pounds. I wouldn’t rule out hand built wheels either. Mavic Open Pros with 32 spokes laced to Campy hubs are a sweet inexpensive ride.
Colnago e Campagnolo

dim

by dim

kevhogaz wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:58 pm
dim wrote:

These wide rims won't clear my chainstays. I've barely got clearance now, on old Mavic's, with a 15mm internal width.
so you are saying that 25mm wide tyres won't fit your frame?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

dim wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:20 pm
kevhogaz wrote:
dim wrote:

Not on wide rims. 17mm internal is about as wide as I can go. 2015 Supersix Evo.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

slowbuild?

dim

by dim

kevhogaz wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:48 pm
dim wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:20 pm
kevhogaz wrote:
dim wrote:

Not on wide rims. 17mm internal is about as wide as I can go. 2015 Supersix Evo.
If 25mm wide tyres (true width) can fit your frame, the HED Belgium plus rims will be fine .... Currently, I'm using IRC Formula Pro RBCC tubeless in 25mm, and they measure exactly 25mm wide when inflated

If you want to use clinchers such as Conti Gp 4000 SII, (that always measure wider), then buy them in 23mm wide and they will measure 26mm wide on the Belgium Plus rims (use google to search actual width of tyres on these rims before choosing the width when purchasing:

viewtopic.php?t=137303

I have a similar problem .... I have an older Giant TCR that cannot take very wide tyres
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

chunky666

by chunky666

dim wrote:

This was the direction I went with. Fed up with breaking spokes had a set of 28f/28r R45s built up with H Plus Son Archtype rims. Other than wrecking the front wheel in the side of an Audi Q7 they performed perfectly when I was 115Kg.