Dura Ace C24 Alternatives

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase to a set of C24 Dura Ace clincher rims, but was just curious to what alternatives people would recommend, the budget is about £600.

Cheers,

J.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Shamal or good handbuiltwheels. It is easy to build 1400g wheels that are stiffer and give longer spoke life than the c24s.

The mavic open pro ust rims laced to light hubs like bitex are that weight.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i went through this exercise a few years ago. The closest i could come up with was Fulcrums but the Shimanos always came out ahead in my view, but if I couldn't do Shimano it would be the Fulcrums or the Campy equivalent.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi there,

I have gone with the r9100/Dura Ace wheels.

One of my hand built sets (winter wheels) use Bitex hubs, nice light weight/run-of-the-mill hubs.

I've got three years warranty with the r9100 wheels, so should cover me for any issues :)

Thanks for the replies.

J.

ps - TBH I do prefer cartridge bearings over cup/cone, but time will tell.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i have wheels of both designs. i prefer the cup and cone in good weather but feel the sealed cartridge is more protected for inclement weather.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

Multebear

by Multebear

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:59 am

but the Shimanos always came out ahead in my view
How exactly did they come out ahead? The aerodynamic rim profile? The width? Or the fact that a worn rim is replaceable?

Well, I'm not saying, that they aren't good wheels. But the tech is a bit old, and it's too bad, that you can't replace the rims, since they make so damn fine hubs. And they didn't even improve them in the latest generation (9100). Some might say, they are so good, you don't need to change them, but they are too narrow for my taste. And you can easily hand build lighter and more modern wheels for less than the c24s.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Multebear wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:57 pm
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:59 am

but the Shimanos always came out ahead in my view
How exactly did they come out ahead? The aerodynamic rim profile? The width? Or the fact that a worn rim is replaceable?

Well, I'm not saying, that they aren't good wheels. But the tech is a bit old, and it's too bad, that you can't replace the rims, since they make so damn fine hubs. And they didn't even improve them in the latest generation (9100). Some might say, they are so good, you don't need to change them, but they are too narrow for my taste. And you can easily hand build lighter and more modern wheels for less than the c24s.
price, weight and road feel won me over. it may be old technology but it works. the ceramic bearings had me thinking for a while but the more i researched it the less i thought they added value. i'm not a techie, so i can't give you a scientific answer. and when i spoke to the local bike shops i trusted they told me i can't go wrong with the c-24's.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

Multebear

by Multebear

No doubt they are very good off the shelf alu wheels. But it annoys me that with their r&d department, they don't make something even better. Why don't they follow the trend of making wider rims, when their C35 and C50 are wider. And why don't they give the customers rim replacement option. And why those low spoke configurations 16/20, that makes it impossible to find other rim options.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well if bitex are too budget spend more on the hubs.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Kinlin xr31t rims come in 16h and 20h drilling I have them in stock.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Saying you can't go wrong withe c24s is like saying you can't go wrong with the old mavic open pro or my 1988 BMW e34 530i. Nothing wrong with old but there is better. I keep the old car because it's not broke yet, I don't use it much and spend the money I could spend on a modern car one bikes instead.

tomycs

by tomycs

Multebear wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:56 pm
No doubt they are very good off the shelf alu wheels. But it annoys me that with their r&d department, they don't make something even better. Why don't they follow the trend of making wider rims, when their C35 and C50 are wider. And why don't they give the customers rim replacement option. And why those low spoke configurations 16/20, that makes it impossible to find other rim options.
In recent years I considered the C24 a few times (I've ridden on it and it's definitely good enough) but never pulled the trigger. Went with wheelbuilder twice (Pacenti/Kinlin) and c17 Mavic Ksyrium Pro (the 1x time I needed Mavic warranty on a rim they sent a new wheel). For the reasons you mentioned, the rim was what kept the wheelset down in my options, also the low weight of the rim coming from less thick sidewalls made me question their longevity in wet weather. I wasn't looking for aluminium wheelset for dry sunny days.

dim

by dim

I'd look at getting a custom build light wheelset that is tubeless ready ... a budget of £600 should get you something decent.
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Custom build Ryde Rims Road Pulse Sprint on CKR45 Hub. Tubeless Ready!

Waiting impatiently on mine.

robertbb

by robertbb

Another vote for Shamal C17's (alloy brake surface) or the equivalent Fulcrum's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com