New disc brake wheelset build for Felt F3X cross bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

savechief

by savechief

bm0p700f wrote:the loss in lateral wheel stiffness is inconsequential, as it is small and with proper wheel design you can compensate for that.

NOX Composites doesn't seem to think that the loss in lateral stiffness is inconsequential, as they openly state that that is their number one priority in wheel builds. I guess that it's just hard for me to believe that major wheel manufacturers would refuse to simply change their 28H lacing patterns to 3x if customers would end up thinking that those wheels are qualitatively better than the 28H, 2X wheels that they were used to. If there's only an upside due to the tangential stiffness benefits you cited, and there are no downsides from the manufacturing perspective (I'm assuming that material costs and build time deltas are negligible) why would they not change to realize that upside?

http://www.noxcomposites.com/wheel_building

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

savechief wrote:I looked at every wheel manufacturer I could think of that produces road disc wheels, and I couldn't find any that used 3X with 28H.
Every wheelset with DT Swiss DT240s Straightpull hub (DT XR1501, XM1501, etc).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

jeanjacques wrote:
savechief wrote:I looked at every wheel manufacturer I could think of that produces road disc wheels, and I couldn't find any that used 3X with 28H.
Every wheelset with DT Swiss DT240s Straightpull hub (DT XR1501, XM1501, etc).

And it doesn't mean it's better ot worse solution. Depends on hub, rim and its height.

Personally I have 2x on 28 rear and 2x on 24 front , Sapim D-Light spokes, DT 411 Asy rims. Faultless under my 85kg butt, regardless terrain.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)