Light aluminum wheelset suggestions for Cervelo R3 or R5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ihaveabikeproblem

by ihaveabikeproblem

I am planning on getting either the new Cervelo R3 or R5 (mechanical Ultegra, rim brakes). Both of these are spec'd with pretty heavy wheels. The R3 comes with Mavic Aksium and R5 comes with Mavic Ksyrium Black (can't find the model or weight anywhere but probably a step below Ksyrium Elite). I would like to upgrade the wheels to take the weight down for either bike.

1. What are the best aluminum wheelset options that are light (14xx g) and reasonable priced that would be a significant upgrade to these spec'd wheels (I weigh 120 lbs)?

Any info on Hunt Race Season Aero (what's the real weight of this, anyone have experience with it?), DT Swiss PR 1400 or other options worth looking at?

2. If I were to spend more money on a carbon aero wheelset, what's the most reasonably priced while still keeping weight neutral? Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL seems to rise to the top but others that are the same profile but less expensive?

Thanks so much for the advice!
Sam

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Apv

by Apv

Can't say much about the other wheels, but having owned the DT Swiss PR 1400 Oxic wheels for just under a year now, I love them personally.
The wheels feel really snappy, if I were to describe it in a word. The brake track is still black, but they scratch easily by stones or metal.
They are 18 mm internals, and running GP 4000 SII 25 mm still causes slight protruding, but its much better than the 15 mm internals that I'm used to.
Including rim tape and skewers, they are 1500 g.
Oh, and I've constantly had people mistake them for carbon rims, as the black brake track is awesome ;)

Would really like to hear anecdotes about the Hunt wheels as well.

morganb

by morganb

I don't know if they have solved the problems with their new rims (I haven't had any issues with my SL23 v2s), but I built up a 1360g wheelset for <$500 with Bitex hubs, CX Rays, and those rims. The Forzas are a little heavier but should get you in the 1400g range. Both of my SL23s were over quoted weight at 430 and 425g.

TonyM

by TonyM

I like my Fulcrum Racing Zero and the black version Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite. Excellent quality hubs (Fulcrum is the other brand from Campagnolo). 1518g.
If carbon, I would go for the Bora35 One. 1405g. Excellent hubs. I love my Bora One; The current Bora have the new AC3 braking treatment for wet weather.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

buy something wide that is easy to maintain.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Apv wrote:Can't say much about the other wheels, but having owned the DT Swiss PR 1400 Oxic wheels for just under a year now, I love them personally.
The wheels feel really snappy, if I were to describe it in a word. The brake track is still black, but they scratch easily by stones or metal.
They are 18 mm internals, and running GP 4000 SII 25 mm still causes slight protruding, but its much better than the 15 mm internals that I'm used to.
Including rim tape and skewers, they are 1500 g.
Oh, and I've constantly had people mistake them for carbon rims, as the black brake track is awesome ;)

Would really like to hear anecdotes about the Hunt wheels as well.

+1 on what this guy said, I also own this wheels and share the same feedback

Andrewjn

by Andrewjn

I have a R3 and have used a pair of Campy neutrons on it over a long period of time and cannot fault them... bombproof and comfortable. On my newer bike I have a set of Fulcrum Racing carbon zeros and they are even better with the 25 mm tyre. Have always found the Campy/ Fulcrum wheels a consistently good performer

ihaveabikeproblem

by ihaveabikeproblem

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions! Anyone have experience with the Prime RP-38 (Chain Reaction brand) that's 1435g for $700, and it's at the left side of the graph in the link?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... prod142949

Sam

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Build your own for cheaper, or buy the parts and have them locally built.
BHS has a sale right now, you'll be able to build a reliable, durable and fantastic wheelset that will weigh ~1250g (more or less) easily.

~1400g is quite heavy for non-aero non-carbon wheels relatively speaking to the WW community.

At your weight you'll be fine with 20/24, you can probably go 16/24 or 16/20 depending on your power output, but 20/24 will be just as fine with a minor weight penalty for the wheels.

We have a separate subforum for wheels. Suggest the mods move this over there so you can get better responses.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

ihaveabikeproblem wrote:Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions! Anyone have experience with the Prime RP-38 (Chain Reaction brand) that's 1435g for $700, and it's at the left side of the graph in the link?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... prod142949

Sam

Those wheels are carbon clinchers. Carbon clinchers have a set of issues (e.g., overheating on mountain descents) you should be aware of and weigh to make a considered purchase.