Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:24 pm 

Marin wrote:
Hmm, I only run clinchers, and I have Latex tubes in 4 of 5 sets. What's not safe?

I also use Latex Vittoria tubes on my Shamal Clinches for few two years, on hot weather, cold weather, any weather and in any condition, and problems until now. (Using Continental 4000 SII, GP 4Season, Vittoria Corsa G+, Attack/Force tires...)

The only problem i had with latex tubes was if i was in hurry in installation process and if not using talcum.. when im carefull installing + talcum no problems..

I have Tubulars and the positive thing with Tubulars are more comfortable, some how better keep the speed and a bit ligher for climbing.. Also seem like more stable on downhills but maybe im just imagine that..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:41 pm 

I'm terrified of tubs. After Beloki things just haven't been the same for me.
I'm terrified of clinchers too. Rapid deflation and you're skating around on rims, on the edge.

Bicycle is quite a dangerous piece of equipment to use.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:41 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:39 pm 

Marin wrote:
Hmm, I only run clinchers, and I have Latex tubes in 4 of 5 sets. What's not safe?

Been discussed endlessly on this forum - including by you IIRC :wink:

Fact is that while some people don't have a problem (through skill or luck, or a combination), a latex tube, with it's very high relatively elasticity, is inherently less safe in a clincher system than a less elastic inner tube (butyl) - or (still more so) a latex tube in a closed tubular system.

It is an unavoidable consequence of the latex + clincher system that the risk of failure is higher. On top of this some manufacturers, notably ENVE, advise strongly against using latex with carbon clinchers on safety grounds.

And there are many, many instances of people running latex in clinchers that have them go "bang" and experience almost immediate deflation. The fact it doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people, or that they are incompetent with equipment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:31 pm 

sawyer wrote:
The fact it doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people, or that they are incompetent with equipment.

I agree with the 1st conclusion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:09 am 

I run latex tubes (Vittoria or Michelin) for more than 30 years. Never had a problem, also not with carbon wheels (Bora 50, Lightweight Meilenstein). I however use butyl tubes and aluminum wheels if I ride in the Alps for example.

Latex tubes however requires more attention: I always use plenty of talcum and I change then latest after 2 tires replacements. I also never use latex tubes older than 2-3 years after I bought them. So definitely more expensive than butyl tubes.

You also have to pump up you tires before each ride. And also set the pressure accordingly if you plan to ride a long time ad they do loose some pressure.

So some advantages - and some disadvantages.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:06 pm 

TonyM wrote:
I run latex tubes (Vittoria or Michelin) for more than 30 years. Never had a problem, also not with carbon wheels (Bora 50, Lightweight Meilenstein). I however use butyl tubes and aluminum wheels if I ride in the Alps for example.

Latex tubes however requires more attention: I always use plenty of talcum and I change then latest after 2 tires replacements. I also never use latex tubes older than 2-3 years after I bought them. So definitely more expensive than butyl tubes.

You also have to pump up you tires before each ride. And also set the pressure accordingly if you plan to ride a long time ad they do loose some pressure.

So some advantages - and some disadvantages.

So why if you have the right technique for installing latex tubes in clinchers, and have never had a problem, do you not ride latex tubes in the Alps?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:55 pm 

Further devolving this into a latex tube discussion, I've used Vittoria exclusively for a while now, without talc, and without any issues at all, in both alloy and generic carbon. I do notice, however, that they hold air much better than latex of yore, and I'm wondering if they are thicker or of some hybrid construction that makes them more durable?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:32 pm 

I ride high-end setups for both tire systems (on separate bikes). Agree that the tubs corner/handle better. The rotating weight differential, for me, is more like 450 grams total. It helps on quick accelerations up short pitches, which leads me to assume it benefits me on long climbs. Carrying a single spare equates to an incremental 150 grams in my jersey pocket (220g tub vs a 70g tube).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:08 pm 

glepore wrote:
Further devolving this into a latex tube discussion, I've used Vittoria exclusively for a while now, without talc, and without any issues at all, in both alloy and generic carbon. I do notice, however, that they hold air much better than latex of yore, and I'm wondering if they are thicker or of some hybrid construction that makes them more durable?
The tubes are a lot thicker than those inside a good tubular. I've dissected an S-Works turbo tubular and the inner tube is a lot thinner than the Vittoria latex inners. I'd venture guessing that there is another fraction of a Watt to be saved running even thinner latex tubes, but they become too fragile for maintaining customer satisfaction.
I have Michelin tubulars too and notice they loose air much quicker than my Vittoria latex inner tube clincher systems. I guess it's the same thing there.