Bora rims seem to be cracking...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

I am aware of carbon rims that come with a matt or shiny finish... but as you say, these are most lilkely nude rims and the epoxy is beginning to flake off at the ridge where the mould was joined. Totally normal and not a big deal for as long as it stays a surface problem.

I don't think it has anything to do with rims heating, more likely exposure to UV light, which ages the epoxy resin... the inner layers are protected from UV by the black fibers so that should not grow into a problem

wobbly

by wobbly

may only be superficial, but does not look good :unbelievable: :unbelievable:

If this has occurred on other Boras then have Campag replaced under warranty ?
Shame as all other owners seem to rave about them and I was considering a pair for next Summer...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

wobbly wrote:may only be superficial, but does not look good :unbelievable: :unbelievable:

Shame as all other owners seem to rave about them and I was considering a pair for next Summer...

Yes it seems to be common. I have a report from another user that he has the ridge (although he didn't mention chipping) and I also kind of spotted it in few others in google images. One pic even seems to be Campy official. My rear wheel has about 30% ridge, very minimal chips, front is 80% ridge with half of it chipped as per pics.

To be fair, my closeup pics blow things out of proportion. In real this is just a hair wide and not so visible unless you kneel down, have good light and look for it. It took me months to notice it and get alarmed while I am supposed to have a very good eye for detail because of my day job (I build guitars and getting a perfect finish is crucial) Where unbroken, the ridge is nice and smooth. The broken part...this is visually questionable indeed. I still beat myself for not noticing in day one. But I would have not returned them for it. I just need to know if the flaking was there, or happened later thanks to pothole shocks or whatever.

All together for 1200 euro they are hard to beat. They are crazy light, stiff enough not to get pad rub at 95Kg with pads at 1mm, braking is OK...

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

wobbly wrote:may only be superficial, but does not look good :unbelievable: :unbelievable:

Replaced under warranty for what? Because they over time become cosmetically less pleasant to the eye? Warranty covers manufacturing defects... here there are no manufacturing defects, it's simply a case of wear and tear. The only remedy against wheels looking tired is to not use them... :wink: :wink: :wink:

clm2206

by clm2206

Yes, it it mold seams. Just looking at my brand new (zero km) Bora Ultra 35 clinchers, and it has the same mold seam.

Enviado desde mi SM-J700M mediante Tapatalk

asiantrick

by asiantrick

If that's a crack then I will take them off your hand for free :)