Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 am 

whosatthewheel wrote:
Average tension still a bit low in my opinion...

For Sapim Laser it will be around 110-120kg. Enough for that low weight rim. More important is even tesnion. So all spokes do the job.

really crap wheelbuilding from MAvic - looks like the dont know build "classic" wheels. They have wheelsets with their spokes and nipples and that goes together like "LEGO CUBES".

My NEED FOR SPEED ride:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hhlPRud7oM

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 am 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:56 pm 

whosatthewheel wrote:
Average tension still a bit low in my opinion...

Unfortunately, Mavic has a low max tension. Another reason I'll pass on working with them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:52 pm 

What I'm getting is that c60rider received a wheel back with a Friday afternoon build quality and chose to use that as an excuse to trash the quality of the rim itself, and then insult anyone who doesn't buy his story.

Ell, oh Ell.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:18 pm 

I think most of us would be a little more or less upset with the experience that the OP had. The first failure is bad enough, but to get a returned wheel with that build “quality” would be doubly unsettling. To excuse it as a “Friday afternoon build” is well, inexcusable.
Not going so far as to say their wheels are rubbish, but I can certainly empathize with the OP.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:26 pm 

I'm surprised they even built a wheel rather than just providing a warranty rim. Doesn't the wheel builder usually eat the labor when there is a warranty issue?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:43 pm 

Calnago wrote:
I think most of us would be a little more or less upset with the experience that the OP had. The first failure is bad enough, but to get a returned wheel with that build “quality” would be doubly unsettling. To excuse it as a “Friday afternoon build” is well, inexcusable.
Not going so far as to say their wheels are rubbish, but I can certainly empathize with the OP.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:51 pm 

AJS914 wrote:
I'm surprised they even built a wheel rather than just providing a warranty rim. Doesn't the wheel builder usually eat the labor when there is a warranty issue?

Mavic were clearly surprised with the failure and with the rim being a new to market product they wanted the entire wheel so they arranged collection. They even screwed that up. As I stated in the original post if they had acknowledged that it was a one-off failure of the product and it was safe to use, supplied an acceptable wheel which being Mavic you would have expected that, then I would never have posted any of this. But the whole process, the delays, lack of any feedback until the wheel just arrived, then subsequent lack of further feedback about safety issues was appalling and I expected more. If no one says anything about their experience of failures on products and there are others out there that have problems then eventually the manufacturer is forced to do something about it ie recall the product as is the case in the motor industry, or even withdraw the product from sale as was the case with the Samsung note 7 I think that users had that were catching fire. The ease at which this rim wall folded over gives me little confidence it will stand up to a bit of gravel in the road!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:47 am 

What I read is that user error destroyed a perfectly good rim and Mavic was less than enthusiastic about building him a new wheel. c60rider should be happy he got a new rim for free and stop complaining so much. And if you think I'm a Mavic nuthugger, go read my previous posts. I am anything but.

Or, at least provide us some data about the wall thickness of the bent area. The fact that hasn't materialized is telling. Either c60 doesnt know how, or he doesn't care.

So his whole post is pointless to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:50 am 

Since these rims are extruded, it makes little sense that the strength of the sidewall would vary between rims. I have personally witnessed levers being used to crank tires on this rim with quite a lot of force and the rim was fine.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:15 am 

so an extruded rim can't have any failures?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:37 pm 

To some point I agree with F45. The start of all this is extremely likely a mishandling from OP that he doesn't want to recognise either due to lack of knowledge or skills. I can't buy a wall thickness problem. The thickness there is higher than the one needed to support the tire, it has "fat" to absorb the brake wear.
While I am also very surprised Mavic (Mavic or the local national distributor) decided to rebuild the wheel, whoever did it should have done it properly, period.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 pm 

Attermann wrote:
so an extruded rim can't have any failures?

Obviously, you can have a flaw in the material or a problem with the tool. But from my (now a bit old I have to confess) experience with extrusions, you should have a failure way before the OP uses the levers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:52 pm 

btw: just put veloflex master on my rsys clincher (btw i am very happy with those since 5 years!) no chance without levers!