Tubeless aero rim options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Currently running RS81 CL C24s. After receiving free tubeless racing tires, I am now looking for some aero tubeless ready rims for a wheelset build. Ideally, they would be around the 38-50mm range and be as light weight as possible while not getting into the crazy expensive stuff. Im only 100lbs/42kg, so durability is a non issue. Will be used as a racing wheelset for all conditions, 75% of that being climbing/descending. At first I was thinking Stans 340, for its ultra low weight, price, and nice alloy construction. But for racing at avg speeds of mostly 15-20mph despite the climbing, getting aero really helps.

Ive sifted through the Chinese carbon stuff, and its hard to pick a manufacturer without a real warranty and company backing it. Carbon clinchers can be troublesome if improperly designed/assembled, even for high end manufacturers. Thats why its important to have a good warranty that you can use. Also, I want something that was tested in a wind tunnel, not some generic design.

However, Im aware there are Chinese or generic brand companies that actually do sell Zipp level quality/performance wheels at lower cost. Can someone show me these?

I just need someone to point me in the right direction for the rims of my unicorn wheelset. Needs to be light, aero, tubeless ready (not 100% firm, but would be nice), and good warranty. Cost isnt too huge a concern. Just as long as its not the weird exotic crap, Im good.

Thanks for the tips.

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

Racing at average speed of 15-20 mph???? What kind of races do you do?

Anyway, The Light Bicycle company make some very decent tubeless ready carbon rims at a reasonable price. I did build a pair of 55 mm ones a few years ago for a friend and as far as I am aware they are still going strong

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

L3X

by L3X

I'd go for a set of 35mm MCFK rims, I love mine!

dim

by dim

HED Belgium Plus .... not the lightest, but quality

I'm running tubeless tyres on mine
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

stoney

by stoney

Roval CLX 50.

eyedrop

by eyedrop

stoney wrote:Roval CLX 50.

These tick all of my boxes, however they are moderately expensive and dont have the rear hub I want. Still, seems like the best all rounders available from a "mainstream" brand. When I say mainstream, that can be a positive. I can walk into any Specialized dealer with Rovals and turn them in for warranty work.

However, If there is a smaller brand with similar wheels to the CLX 50 that are up and coming, with good prices and honest product/customer support, Im game. I guess It wouldnt be the end of the world to ship the wheels in for warranty, as long as the company stood by the product.

If nobody comes close to Roval, I may just splurge.

ms6073

by ms6073

whosatthewheel wrote:What kind of races do you do?

The words climbing and descending were in the body of the original post but nothing about budget as both Enve and Zipp recently introduced aero tubeless wheelset options but both are super expensive.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Geoff

by Geoff

Good question, actually. My son is just starting-out and those are the kind of speeds that they run, too. He is right on the cusp of 700c, though, so we are still running 650c. That is really tough to find. As soon as you make the jump to 700c, there are real options.

I have been running a 'long-term test' of tubeless for a few seasons now. As you may know, I am a tubular guy and can't stand clinchers. The tubeless option, though, is growing on me.I have been adding different test mules as time has gone on and have recently added a set of all-carbon rims: Bontrager Aeolus 5s.

To be honest, the only reason that I chose those over other offerings out there was that they are 'correct' for a bike I got from Alberto Contador that he is now done with (obviously), but without wheels. I have been completely blown-away by those wheels. They are light. They are surprisingly quick around centre. They have a really good braking surface. Best of all, with the Bontrager tires, they seal-up like no other rim-tire combination. Where I live, it is often very windy. While I have 29(ish) pounds on you, I get blown-around pretty good. These wheels are rock-solid. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

I am going to get a set of deep Mavics soonish, as well. It will be interesting to compare those shod with Mavics new tires as against the Bontrager offering.

gotgame

by gotgame

take a look at mavic comete pro carbon ust ( clincher tubeless ready) are some nice looking wheels. also reliable and great quality. i have them for sale at a good price :)
Colnago e1 gazzetta dello sport - sz52s / Pinarello gan RS ulterga di2 - sz52 / Caadx 2019 vulcano green sz54

Hexsense

by Hexsense

eyedrop wrote:
stoney wrote:Roval CLX 50.

These tick all of my boxes, however they are moderately expensive and dont have the rear hub I want. Still, seems like the best all rounders available from a "mainstream" brand. When I say mainstream, that can be a positive. I can walk into any Specialized dealer with Rovals and turn them in for warranty work.

However, If there is a smaller brand with similar wheels to the CLX 50 that are up and coming, with good prices and honest product/customer support, Im game. I guess It wouldnt be the end of the world to ship the wheels in for warranty, as long as the company stood by the product.

If nobody comes close to Roval, I may just splurge.

have you check Boyd? my local bike shop sell and back them up nicely.

don't just get any aero tubeless rim, get those that is WIDE both inside (internal width, 17mm is the bare minimum. 19-21 preferably) and outside (external width, >=27mm)

About Chinese wheels to check, I'll throw out some few famous name:
Light-bicycle, Yoeleo, Farsport.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I was going to mention the Aeolus line of wheels, but Geoff beat me to it. I would also recommend you take a look at the Aeolus 3 Pro model (which is not what the pros use... go figure). They're Trek's lower-level carbon clincher model, which is tubeless compatible. I think the main trade-off you'll see between the Pro's and the 3 or 5 models is that the Pro uses Bontrager's in-house hub, rather than DT Swiss sourced hubs, like on the 3 or 5.

Another option you can look at is the Zipp Course 30 wheelset. They're alloy, so you avoid any issues with carbon brake tracks delaminating, and they are also tubeless compatible, and given the 30mm height, have a little bit of an aero benefit, without suffering from crosswinds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com