Which Hubs Are The Fastest?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kavitator

by kavitator

Geometry are really bad on rear - Aivee Sr5 has NDS 30mm from ceneter, DS 18mm - and wheels are stiff.
Gokiso design of bearings and axle seperate from hub body is something more to get more speed.

Company is in buissnies with jet engiens - so qulity must be really high

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

I question a company that can pay so much attention to one aspect of a hub and completely miss the mark on another really important one. I also don't buy into the "well smart people made it so it must be good".

junchen

by junchen

Scrench wrote:C'mon Guys,

I know collectively you've tried them all, so which ones spin the longest with the least effort and have almost zero friction. Trying to build a racing only set using Zipp 202 rims, completely dissatisfied with the Zipp V9 hubs. So forget the rims, which hubs should I pour money into?

Thanks!
Scrench
If ur budget allows.. Gokiso. Their top range hub has 29 yrs warranty.

Edit: didn't see the earlier post.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

kavitator

by kavitator

Topic is for "fastest hubs"

So here i thnik Gokiso win - on paper

I didnt see then in live.

As said before - and also tested (you can see friction facts tests) - between bad bearings and the best smooth bearings - at 50km/h there are around 2.5Watts difference.

most quality hubs are fast enough- better to do more on your training/nutrition and other things to get power up.

kgt

by kgt

+1
Gokiso seem to have been proven, in every way, as the fastest hubs. If you have the money...

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

Well, I assume a "fast hub" (if there is such a thing) wants a fast rim, so a deep rim, which should be OK with such a narrow flange spacing... anything shallow will be pretty sketchy. I would never go under 40-50 mm depth with those.

Obviously the name "climber" would suggest it is aimed at a different market...

ergott

by ergott

There's just no reason for the narrower spacing. "engineers" should be able to figure that out. It's not like a deeper rim changes the basic concept of the wheel structure. If you don't support the rim well you get lateral flex.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ergott

by ergott

There's just no reason for the narrower spacing. "engineers" should be able to figure that out. It's not like a deeper rim changes the basic concept of the wheel structure. If you don't support the rim well you get lateral flex.

Also, whoever built those wheels with radial heads out for the rear really doesn't understand what they are doing and why.

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

ergott wrote:There's just no reason for the narrower spacing. "engineers" should be able to figure that out. It's not like a deeper rim changes the basic concept of the wheel structure. If you don't support the rim well you get lateral flex.

A deeper rim shortens the spoke length and that means a better bracing angle... the same hub on a 24 inch wheel or 100 mm deep rim will be absolutely fine... but I agree, it's just the wrong way to go about things. I guess they were more worried about spreading the tensions better, but it's not a justified fear... or more simply they don't know how to design a bicycle hub

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the fastest hubs are the ones with the fastest rider on them.

Heavyhitter

by Heavyhitter

bm0p700f wrote:the fastest hubs are the ones with the fastest rider on them.

Right on the money

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Agreed that the Gokiso engineers seem to have had a monofocus when coming up with the design, and not fully evaluated pros/cons and the inevitable tradeoffs that come with any setup.

When discussing rolling friction, don't forget that there is also the freewheel to take into account. If you never coast, then it's not a consideration, but many hubs, even if the primary hub bearings are roughly equivalent, vary greatly (relatively speaking) in the amount of drag when freewheeling.

F45

by F45

Shimano Dura Ace with the right amount of tension and right amount of grease are pretty fast. I'd love to see a test.

kavitator

by kavitator

Onyx also - special when coasting. It has almost zero drag freehub.

But as mention above. Fastest rider has fastest hubs :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

Non contact sealed bearings spin very well - the Carbon Ti X-Hub Road for example use them as stock.

Nothing for everyday wet weather riders though. ;)