Advice needed on MTB wheelset build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rasmusic

by rasmusic

I've got a DT 240 CL (28h) hubset and are planning to build new wheels for racing and light trail riding, and need some advice.

Rim:
I guess asymmetric and around 25mm inner width is the way to go? I've looked at these alternatives:
- Nextie, 26.5mm inner width, 390g
- XMCarbonspeed, 25 mm inner width, 360g
(What are your experiences with XMCarbonspeed? Do they have the same good reputation as Light-Bicycle and Nextie?)
- Any other suggestions?

Spokes:
The plan is DT revo and alu nipples, but should I go 2x or 3x? (28h)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rasmusic

by rasmusic

Or maybe these from CarbonBicycle.cc? 320 grams and 24mm inner width. I've never heard of them before, any experiences on this great forum?

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

I am skeptical about carbon and the rigors of mountain biking.
I just had an aluminum set build by prowheelbuilder using velocity rims and American classic hubs. The thing is I want them to last.
Depending on your weight and the abuse and how long you want them for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rasmusic

by rasmusic

You're joking, right? Who doesn't ride carbon mtb rims these days?

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

rasmusic wrote:You're joking, right? Who doesn't ride carbon mtb rims these days?

Exactly my point.
Carbon frames crack all the time. You Get a replacement. Wheels will not last longer than a frame. You get a replacement.
Things that need to be replaced generate cash flow. Then we can also talk about consumerism and all that.
All the end things that are not long lasting but give you better performance is the current trend in cycling and in consumer society. You need to replace things to create revenue.
Just because all people have them doesn't mean they are long lasting. I use carbon rims on road bikes. Custom made. Last me a long time.
I will not risk it with a mountain bike. Being 200lbs and strong rider has taught me that mass production wheels break a lot faster than custom made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F45

by F45

XM carbonspeed - 360g rim, i25mm
Stans Arch - 425g rim, i26mm

I'd just use Arches, Revolutions, aluminum nipples.

2x will give you a slightly better bracing angle, but it's a wash really.

rasmusic

by rasmusic

I ended up with these from Carbonfan.com, which is the same as the Carbonbicycle.cc-rims I mentioned above, just at a lower price. The wheelset will end up at around 1280 grams with revolutions and aluminum nipples.

F45 wrote:2x will give you a slightly better bracing angle, but it's a wash really.

A wheelbuilder I talked to recommended 2x/3x with 2x on DS rear and disc side front (3x on NDS and right side on the front wheel), any thoughts on that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

3x all round. 2x makes no sense unless you use pseudo junk physics to justify it. I am being blunt.

Lateral stiffness with 3x is just fine. 3x maximises torsional stiffness which is important.
Also 2x on the fron disc side where all the braking torque is reduces the torsional stiffness. your builder has things backwards. I am being blunt again.