Carbon Wheels for Everyday

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

NovemberDave wrote:If ~400g 40mm clincher rims ($400 Chinese ones or expensive maybe Chinese maybe not ones) work for you, go with it. For way too many people that's just not going to.

Not to sound rude or anything, but is there an unbiased report/survey that supports this claim?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

antonioiglesius wrote:
NovemberDave wrote:If ~400g 40mm clincher rims ($400 Chinese ones or expensive maybe Chinese maybe not ones) work for you, go with it. For way too many people that's just not going to.

Not to sound rude or anything, but is there an unbiased report/survey that supports this claim?

Not rude at all, thank you, but I have THICK skin anyway so don't sweat it.

We've trashed a bunch of rims, mostly cooking them on a short steep local hill, to be utterly satisfied of the validity of the statement but of course we're biased. Closest I can come is that Tour Mag regularly has all sorts of rims fail their heat tests.

In actual fact I'm not at all fussed about the whole thing anyway. Our inbox is full of people who find riding a 1500 or 1550g (or even - gasp! - 1600g) set of wide, quite aerodynamic and very solid alloy clinchers to be the most fully satisfying riding experience they've had.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

The most objective outcome I can see for this thread is all of us accepting there isn't a right answer (and it's been beat to death for years). Ride what makes you happy.

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

We're getting off topic.....
Get busy living, or get busy dying

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

Of the your choices listed, go with what your wallet can stomach and you are okay with replacing couple of years down the road.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Boyd, all day.