Carbon Wheels for Everyday

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

Looking for a "do everything" wheelset that would go on my Tarmac. Want something deep enough to take advantage of "aero' speed benefits on the flats but also can still climb decently.

I've narrowed it down to the four below:

Enve 4.5 - top choice for me, but $$$$$!

Boyd 44

Knight Composites 35/65 Combo (thinking a set of 65's will be too deep on the hills?)

Reynolds Aero 46
Get busy living, or get busy dying

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I don't own any alloy wheels and I've been on a wheel buying spree for most of the last year in search of that perfect balance. Knight are an excellent ride and the braking is the best I've had on carbon, but I'm not interested in clincher. Enve 4.5 are fine... but have no standout trait that makes them better at anything than my Reynolds 58. After back to back rides, I sold the Enve.

I'm currently deciding on "that" wheel between my Bora 35, CCU, and Aero 46. The CCU lack a little braking power compared to the others which is my only mark against them so far. The other two wheels are tied on braking. 46 are much livelier than the Bora - closer to the CCU actually - but they're a little jarring. That said, they've been the wheel I reached for most often for big days in the saddle where terrain is mixed. They are outstanding in the wind and actually feel a little aero unlike the other two. But I've got to sell something... drop me a line if you're interested in tubs. I'll make a FS ad for the Reynolds and one other wheelset this week once I get some pictures.

bilwit

by bilwit

Never an easy question, depends on your terrain and budget. Looks like the latter isn't a problem for you but at $2100USD+ might as well get Boras if you don't mind the word "campagnolo" on a potentially non campy-bike.

I went through a similar dilemma recently and found that something like the FLO45 or similar is a good price point/spec for "every day" riding. $1200USD for the set but you can get the 60mm ones for the same price instead or mix them. They run a little narrow though, 24mm across to fit 23mm tire. It's pretty hilly around here (~220m of elevation per 18km) and can get pretty damn windy at times so 45.5mm is perfect for me (60kg rider) on my 2018 BMC Teammachine SLR01. If I had a full-on aero bike that demanded deeper hoops I would go 55 or 60, but that wouldn't be an "every day" ride for me.
Last edited by bilwit on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

That same price (~$1200) gets you on Reynolds too though - and they give up very little, if anything, to Bora

bilwit

by bilwit

Imaking20 wrote:That same price (~$1200) gets you on Reynolds too though - and they give up very little, if anything, to Bora

most places have them listed at nearly full MSRP still at well over 2k.. but it looks like PBK has them for $1360. Hell of a deal. By all means, if you can get them at that price range and don't mind the V-rim profile :thumbup:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Be sure you don't confuse the profile of the Aero lineup with something like the older DV46 - they are quite different. My 58 aero were some of the most stable wheels I've ridden. In my opinion, they easily outclassed 303, 3.4, and 4.5 in that regard. While also braking better. And spinning up quicker. I mean, otherwise they were terrible :)

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

Bostonbull wrote:Looking for a "do everything" wheelset that would go on my Tarmac. Want something deep enough to take advantage of "aero' speed benefits on the flats but also can still climb decently.

I've narrowed it down to the four below:

Enve 4.5 - top choice for me, but $$$$$!

Boyd 44

Knight Composites 35/65 Combo (thinking a set of 65's will be too deep on the hills?)

Reynolds Aero 46

Reynolds assault SLG. They are 44mm deep. Although I don't see much of the aero 46 in the streets. they are heavier and more expensive.
The assaults are more versatile. I have own them for over 3 years and those are my carbon everyday wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sawyer

by sawyer

Also consider the Fulcrum Quattro Carbon ... bit shallow at 40mm but good VFM and decent stiffness
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

ms6073

by ms6073

For a more economical approach to aero, there is also a custom set of Nox Composites Falkor 55R
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

185lbs, and I like to sprint put of the saddle.... Need stiff and laterally complaint. Boston area roads are complete crap, need a wheel that's tough.

I'm really leaning toward the Boyd. Hard to find info on them on the forums....
Get busy living, or get busy dying

MXGimp

by MXGimp

I absolutely love the Bontrager Aeolus line, I know you didn't mention it. But its worth a look.

ntb1001

by ntb1001

I like my Zipp 303 firecrest clinchers for everyday.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

oldturd

by oldturd

Imaking20 wrote:Be sure you don't confuse the profile of the Aero lineup with something like the older DV46 - they are quite different. My 58 aero were some of the most stable wheels I've ridden. In my opinion, they easily outclassed 303, 3.4, and 4.5 in that regard. While also braking better. And spinning up quicker. I mean, otherwise they were terrible :)

I dont recall but did you sell the Aero 58 in favour of the 46s? I have the 58s and am considering the 46s but dont know if it'll make a huge diff for my riding other than visual. :noidea:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Sort of. I had both at the same time and ultimately went with the 46s for visual reasons... and because the 58s sold first when I offered them both up. Honestly, the differences between them are so subtle that they're lost within a ride or two. I was primarily hoping for a more compliant ride with the 46 but it wasn't super noticeable. I'd say they're a hair smoother, a hair quicker to spin up, and don't seem to give up much pace. They're both excellent wheels. My wife has actually opted to keep the 46s and I'm selling off the Boras instead.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oldturd

by oldturd

Hrm, excellent feedback. I'll just keep my Aero 58s instead of trying to replace with 46s.. Thanks!