24h Alu rim recommendation for track bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

I've got 2 Halo track hubs, 24hole, looking for recommendations for a suitable rim for Velodrome use? I only weigh 61kg so not heavy on wheels.

DT Swiss R460's look a good price, not too light either which hopefully means they're a bit more durable...also looked at the RR511 which is apparently very durable but they're twice the price! Anyone have any experience of these rims for this usage or any recommendations?

Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Clincher?

Track is the only place where tubulars would be an option for me, but I'd probably still use clinchers just because.

Which tires do you want to run?

Personally I'd go for old school narrow Kinlins + Veloflex Record probably.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Sorry, meant to say clinchers. They're just for training. Cheers. Would probs want to use Vittoria Pista's, just 'cos I love Vittoria's on the road more than anything :noidea:

racingcondor

by racingcondor

If you're not worried about weight you could look at something like the H+Son Formation Face. No brake track and 42mm deep so would look great, be fairly aero and very strong. Only drawback is they're >600g.

morganb

by morganb

Kinlin XR31 would look good. Slightly deeper and more aero than a standard clincher and build up reasonably stiff.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Thought I’d update this in case anyone interested/has done a search, bought and had built the Halo hubs with a pair of DTSwiss R460’s (disc brake ones so they’re all black ‘cos I’m a tart) they’re holding up really well and feel weirdly fast, I’d swear they were 50mm deep if I didn’t know better, almost like that feeling of getting your first tubs out on the road. I’d imagine the lack of spikes is really helping but yeah, thumbs up!

istigatrice

by istigatrice

morganb wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:49 pm
Kinlin XR31 would look good. Slightly deeper and more aero than a standard clincher and build up reasonably stiff.
If you're running a tyre narrower than 23mm you might 'roll it' because the rim is too wide for the tyre. I'd stick to the old school kinlin offerings (XR-270, XR-300 or XR-380) if you're planing on using narrow tyres.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com