Tubeless sealant .. cost effective

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

I looked into the home brew solutions and then I found the TruckerCo stuff I posted above. The TruckerCo stuff is a lot cheaper than Stans/Orange and works well. It didn't seem like the savings were worth the hassle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Geoff wrote:I have been testing road tubeless for a few seasons now (running a set of Dura-Ace, a set of Shamals and adding a set of Aeolus 5s today), but I am still on the same container of Stans...

When was the last time you checked to make sure there is actually any sealant in liquid form left in the tires? I am guessing a sealants endurance is based several factors such as tire make and climate. Here along the Texas Gulf Coast where daily temperatures regularly exceed 90 degrees (32c) with 90%+ relative humidity, while running 30-40 mils of Effetto Mariposa's Caffélatex with Schwalbe Pro One 700x28c tires that lose ~6-8 psi per week, I still had to refresh the sealant ~5-6 weeks after mounting the tires.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

kytyree

by kytyree

I think where you store your bike makes a difference too. It's dry here where I moved but hot and I think the garage was drying my mtb out faster so I've moved it inside.

And it takes me longer to make coffee than it does a batch of sealant, the ingredients are easy to find here in the US and they're cheap. Pop bottle and funnel is sufficiente for equipment. Get a large mouth jar and you won't even need a funnel. Just thought of that, I'm thinking an old peanut butter jar may work well, plastic because I'm clumsy.

justaute

by justaute

Another data-point. Thought you guys might find this sealant shoot-out somewhat interesting. See the table toward the bottom of the linked page.

https://mbaction.com/tire-sealant-shootout/

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

justaute wrote:Another data-point. Thought you guys might find this sealant shoot-out somewhat interesting. See the table toward the bottom of the linked page.

https://mbaction.com/tire-sealant-shootout/

Orange Seal continues to win in all shootouts and anecdotes are pretty much universally positive. Not sure why anyone would bother with Stan's or other random brands. It's either Orange Seal, homebrew, or wait for the next big thing (which might be Slime STR.)

I've been running Slime STR in my rear tire for 600mi, but oddly have not experienced a puncture yet (a bit unusual.) Continuing to run Orange Seal in my front tire in the meantime.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've run so many different combinations of sealant, it's not funny. I started with Stans, which never really sealed anything (same for Effeto Mariposa). I did have some success running a combination of Stans/Slime, which I mixed together in an old Stans quart container. If I remember the combination, it was either 2:1 or 3:1. I did try mixing some antifreeze in there, but saw no difference, same with adding glitter (and then you have a glittery mess).

Bontrager and Orange Seal worked best, in my opinion. The problem comes down to mess, and I decided it wasn't worth it on my road bike. I do run tubeless on my CX and mountain bikes, and Orange Seal has done the trick.

F45

by F45

Bontrager works well but the clumping factors tend to stick to the bottom of the bottle. If they poured it in without checking it would have affected the performance.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It's good practice to shake up any sealant before use, not just the ones with particulates. Sometimes the mix of water, glycol, liquid latex, etc. can start to separate.