Tubeless sealant .. cost effective

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WinterRider

by WinterRider

After paying north of 19 USD for 8 oz of orange sealant I got to thinking somebody makes something that works as well .. minus the 'bike' quantity markup.

One candidate.. (?) .. good to -33F

https://www.denniskirk.com/314379.sku?u ... 6766398717

Likely source of the orange sealant:

https://www.ride-onshop.com/Products-Bicycles.html

Any ideas?
Last edited by WinterRider on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justaute

by justaute

I usually try to buy the 32 oz Orange Sealant -- about $35.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

There's a homemade stans thread somewhere in mtbr if you want to get drastic and make it in bulk.

AJS914

by AJS914

I've had good luck with Trucker Co. It's a lot cheaper than Stans.

https://www.amazon.com/TruckerCo-Perfor ... B005PY2248

rothwem

by rothwem

I tend to buy the smaller bottles because the sealant seems to go bad over time and I rarely do more than 2 tires at a time.

kytyree

by kytyree

http://www.huckingkitty.com/node/46

I've been using this recipe on my mountain bike for almost a year, works just fine. Doesn't cost much at all, I mix up 16oz or so at a time in an old 20oz pop bottle by shaking it.

justaute

by justaute

That makes sense.

I have three bikes (cx/gravel, road, mtb) and three wheelsets for the cx/gravel bike. Figured with those wheels and refills, 32 oz is an economical way to go. Orange Seal said its sealant's shelf-life is pretty good as long as I maintain a "shaking" schedule. haha

rothwem wrote:I tend to buy the smaller bottles because the sealant seems to go bad over time and I rarely do more than 2 tires at a time.

F45

by F45

For road bikes, you need a better quality sealant. I use Bontrager @ $25/quart.

For cross and mountain, I use homemade 1/3 1/3 1/3 rv antifreeze, water, and latex from Amazon. It works.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

bremerradkurier wrote:I've always wondered if this stuff would work as sealant.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MAPEI-2-Gallon-White-Liquid-Latex-Mortar-Additive/3743849

Gonna go around Lowe's and find a guy w some whiskers .. explain and see what he thinks.

Excellent idea :thumbup: :thumbup:

Geoff

by Geoff

How much sealant do you guys use? I have been testing road tubeless for a few seasons now (running a set of Dura-Ace, a set of Shamals and adding a set of Aeolus 5s today), but I am still on the same container of Stans...

ms6073

by ms6073

bremerradkurier wrote:I've always wondered if this stuff would work as sealant.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/MAPEI-2-Gallon-White-Liquid-Latex-Mortar-Additive/3743849

Having read the product description and a couple of the reviews, seems to me that a product with the words 'mortar additive' in the name will more likely be a quick method for making a solid tire out of a tubeless tire. :mrgreen:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Geoff wrote:How much sealant do you guys use? I have been testing road tubeless for a few seasons now (running a set of Dura-Ace, a set of Shamals and adding a set of Aeolus 5s today), but I am still on the same container of Stans...

i bought a 32oz shop bottle of Orange Seal and have gone through about 12oz in 1.5 years. I use 1.5oz (45mL) per tire and my fast tires last ~3mo. I can't really imagine resorting to homebrew because it's not worth the time and effort to keep a higher volume of sealant around.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Geoff wrote:How much sealant do you guys use? I have been testing road tubeless for a few seasons now (running a set of Dura-Ace, a set of Shamals and adding a set of Aeolus 5s today), but I am still on the same container of Stans...

i bought a 32oz shop bottle of Orange Seal and have gone through about 12oz in 1.5 years. I use 1.5oz (45mL) per tire and my fast tires last ~3mo. I can't really imagine resorting to homebrew because it's not worth the time and effort to keep a higher volume of sealant around.

Other reason to mess w homebrew is longevity .. shelf life .. and preventing drying out in use. Very few are marketing it today .. obviously it's in their interest to bottle something that has a short life. I raise the issue .. some 'mad scientist' might surface .. w the answer. But I do think a much better product is easily possible.

kytyree

by kytyree

One of the advantages of homebrew is you can make what you need. The ingredients of the recipe I posted are pretty shelf stable. I mix up a little more than I need each time, it's easy.

You pour the ingredients into a bottle and shake them up. That's not much effort,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com