Reynolds Assaults or Shimano C40's for everyday riding?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I'm looking to get a set of rim brake clinchers for day to day training rides, rather than using my Zipp 303 tubulars. I'm considering either the Reynolds Assault clinchers, or the Shimano C40's.

Are these wheels durable enough for daily training rides on sometimes rough pavement, with rolling hills in places? I'm a little on the heavy side, around 95kg currently.

The Reynolds wheels are a little heavier than the Shimanos, but then again they are slightly deeper and have a higher spoke count.

The Reynolds are wider than the Shimanos, and they are tubeless ready in case I ever decided to go that route. I don't think the C40's are tubeless, but I could be wrong.

Some of the online shops have last year's Assault wheels on sale, and from what I gather they are the same wheel as this year's model, just different decals. Is this true?

Thanks.

bilwit

by bilwit

The Assaults have no comparison to the C40 clinchers.. which are narrow (24mm wide), 35mm depth, weigh like boat anchors, and, most importantly, have an alloy rim brake surface (they are rebranded C35 clinchers from last generation). The C40 tubulars are the ones that are full carbon, 40mm deep @ 28mm wide (confusing, I know).
Last edited by bilwit on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

When did 24mm wide become narrow.

bilwit

by bilwit

bm0p700f wrote:When did 24mm wide become narrow.

haven't you heard the latest marketing hype? we all need to be able to run 28mm tire and disc brakes, it's the future (apparently) :wink:

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Another wheel is the 3T Orbis II Team Edition C35 clincher. Although the internal nipples would be a pain to adjust.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Shimano C40 is 20.8mm wide, not 24mm wide.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moyboy

by moyboy

Owned a set of Assult SLGs..... they were great. plus warranty repair was great too as I hit a pothole hard and it cracked part of the rim.