NoTubes Iron Cross issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I have wheelset built with Iron Croos rims. Front hub Hope Pro 4 (15mm thru axle), rear hub Novatec 772 (12mm thru axle). Both 32 spokes, I´m 67kg. Tyres Maxxis Mud Wrestler 33mm, tubeless.
The thing is, front wheel won´t stay true. After one ride/training its untrue. My wheelbuilder has rebuild it twice with no help. I think if the build quality is bad, then rear wheel is more likely to go untrue. I think the rim is from bad batch or something. Also there is disc rub, when standing on pedals.
Anybody have had such problems with this rim?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I have these but I'm not having any issues on DT 350 hubs.

They are light rims and max tubeless pressure is only 39psi (32mm tire). Personally, I kind of wish I went for a Grail rim but I'm using mine for road/gravel. I pump them up to 45-50 psi with 50mm tires. I'm not sure how much risk I'm taking.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

There is also a tension limit as well. A bad batch readon does not wash. It a wheel is going out of true there is a reason.

Spoke tension needes to be sufficient to stop the spoke loosening tension when you corner and hit things. Front wheels take quite a battering. So i would suspect low spoke tension or thin spokes have been used. Un even spoke tension may also be a cause if the builder has tried to correct any radial hop.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

NDS spokes Sapim D-Light
DS spokes Sapim Laser
Nipples Pillar Al
Should I take tyre off, true wheel with max tension and then see where it takes?

Never had this problem with same spokes, chinese carbon rims, same wheel builder. This rim needs a better builder?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Rear wheel data from Wheel Tension App, using Park Tool TM-1
AVG left 63,04
AVG right 123,54
Data sheet

Is it normal? NoTubes allows max tension 95kgf for Iron Cross.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Ooops.. :unbelievable:
Last edited by WinterRider on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The rim is over tensioned and the spokes too thin for this build. Rebuild with sapim race (a stiffer spoke) and tension disc side to 900N. The nds will have whatever tension it has. Ignore radial movement and get tensions to within +/-5% that way the wheel wont go out of true.

Your wheel build is not stiff enough and has poor tension control so it goes out of ture. If he tension was even each side it wouod be stable.

Also the tension balance for a front disc brake hub should be alot better thwn 50%. The rim must off centre to left.

F45

by F45

900N limit? lol

rainerhq

by rainerhq

bm0p700f wrote:The rim is over tensioned and the spokes too thin for this build. Rebuild with sapim race (a stiffer spoke) and tension disc side to 900N. The nds will have whatever tension it has. Ignore radial movement and get tensions to within +/-5% that way the wheel wont go out of true.

Your wheel build is not stiff enough and has poor tension control so it goes out of ture. If he tension was even each side it wouod be stable.

Also the tension balance for a front disc brake hub should be alot better thwn 50%. The rim must off centre to left.

I had the problem with front wheel, but those tension numbers, I wrote, are rear wheels.
Did I understand correctly: have to rebuild the front wheel with Race spokes? NDS tension 90?
I need NDS 290mm and DS 291mm. Can´t find 291mm Race. Which spoke I can use instead?

I have wheels with Laser spokes (carbon rims), no problems there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com