Be careful about just looking at the basetape, rather than the tread. In my experience, the basetapes are often not aligned with the tread. If the tread is still ok, then you're fine. Although we aim for perfection, the truth is that it does not matter that much.
I know, It's actually the tread that tipped me off, and then I looked at the basetape. So far in the 6 Vittoria CXs I've mounted the tape has been bang on center with the tread, but when centering I always go by the tread.
but you know if you leave it it's just going to bug you every time you look at it
I know, I KNOW. I didnt notice anything weird at all this morning, but every time I look at it I cringe. It might be worth tearing it off just for the aesthetics...
A couple weeks ago I did my first tubular glue job. I used carbon Conti which grabs fast and hard. Struggling to get a reasonable stretch fast enough, I forgot about the thread and mostly focused on the base tape. When done I noticed the thread pattern was waaaay off. With all embarrassment, I am showing a pic.
I tried to correct it by pulling the worst areas but it was already very difficult and my thumbs were beat (mostly because I have some tendon? issues on the inside of the thumbs from the handlebars) so I decided to sleep on it and decide next day if ride or pull. Of course next day all I wanted was to try the new wheels. The base tape is showing on both sides. So far it is fine and I don't notice handling issues but visually it is killing me. The base tape and the sew line were definitely not aligned. Next time I will get tan sidewalls. Provided the tan part is well centered, it should be easier to see what is happening in the rush of laying down the tube.
We might just have to bite the bullet and sit down one afternoon. Then again, there might be a pair of Bora 35s in the horizon, so I might just hold off for a while if there's no danger of rolling.