Like a Michelin Pro4 Endurance, but Tubeless?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
rothwem

by rothwem

I've used the Michelin Pro4 Endurance tires for the last few years, before that I used the Kylions, and before that, I used the Pro Carbons. They're not the best tires for anything, but the durability/handling/rolling resistance balance is really great, and I love the way the Pro4 series of tires handle with the taller crown.

Anyways, I recently had to rebuild the rear rim on my Powertap wheel, and I went from an Open Pro to an Easton R90SL rim. I got another wider tubeless rim to match on the front, so now, I'm fully tubeless capable and thinking of making the switch when my current set of Pro4 Endurance's wear out. I'm sold on the tech since my mountain bike is tubeless and is awesome, I'd love to try running a bit lower pressure and getting even better flat protection.

The problem is, it seems like I can only choose between racing tires like the Schwalbe Pro One that lasts for <1000, and gravel tires that won't fit into my frame (a 2014 CAAD10). Is there any "endurance road" tubeless tires out there in a ~25mm size that are better than the Pro4 Endurance? If not, I'll just get another set of Pro4s, but I don't want to be stuck in a rut. The closest seems to be the Hutchinson Sector, but I'm worried that a 28mm tire on a 19mm internal rim won't fit in my frame.

Attermann

by Attermann

I find my S-works turbo to be a bit better than pro 4, so maybe the turbo tubeless will do the trick for you?

by Weenie

rothwem

by rothwem

Attermann wrote:I find my S-works turbo to be a bit better than pro 4, so maybe the turbo tubeless will do the trick for you?

How's the durability on the sworks turbo? How many miles are you getting out of a rear tire?

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

If it helps, I just ran the Pro Ones down to the chords right at 2700 miles on the rear. The front is still going strong. One tire I am looking at is the Panaracer type A as it seems a little thicker and heavier. Also, the Hutchinson Sector 28 (if you can fit them) is a good tire and not too slow.

rothwem

by rothwem

Ltyarbro42 wrote:If it helps, I just ran the Pro Ones down to the chords right at 2700 miles on the rear. The front is still going strong. One tire I am looking at is the Panaracer type A as it seems a little thicker and heavier. Also, the Hutchinson Sector 28 (if you can fit them) is a good tire and not too slow.

Dang, that's impressive wear. Are you a lightweight? The reviews I read make it sound like the pro one is ready for replacement at 1000, dead at 1500.

For the Hutchinson, it might fit. 28mm pro4 endurance tires will work on my frame with skinny rims like open pros, but they're a bit close for comfort on a set of wider rims like the r90sl's.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Ltyarbro42 wrote:If it helps, I just ran the Pro Ones down to the chords right at 2700 miles on the rear. The front is still going strong. One tire I am looking at is the Panaracer type A as it seems a little thicker and heavier. Also, the Hutchinson Sector 28 (if you can fit them) is a good tire and not too slow.

May I ask what you weigh? Impressive wear.. I'm 180's.. just starting w Pro One's.

rothwem

by rothwem

Anyone using the Hutchinson Intensive 2? It seems like it might fit the bill. Any thoughts on the actual size of the tire when mounted?

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

WinterRider wrote:

May I ask what you weigh? Impressive wear.. I'm 180's.. just starting w Pro One's.

Right now, I'm at 150ish. So not a real heavyweight, but I run one frame size small and have a lot of weight distributed on the rear. I really have loved these things even if they don't corner amazingly in the wet. In the dry, however, they are the best cornering setup I could imagine.

In terms of something I would flog daily, they aren't the best choice. I would look at the Panaracer --I'm gonna throw a set on over the winter)-- or a Bontrager tire like this: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... Code=black

They have several on offer that should be decent and wear a little better than the pro one.

Miller

by Miller

Hutchinson Fusion 5 in 25mm width might be an equivalent, same French nationality at least.

I have Hutch Sector 28s on one bike, have been those wheels about 2 years now. Great tyres, remarkably tough given their relatively low weight, road feel perhaps a little stodgy by comparison to the best. They appear to be lasting forever.

sussexhills

by sussexhills

Hutchinson Sectors if you can fit them, I wish they made this tyre is a 25 as it's a tight fit with full guards on my Winter bike. Sometimes had to stop and take wheel out to remove mud if its a really muddy country lane.

rothwem

by rothwem

Well screw it. I ended up ordering Pro4 Endurance tires again. I was about to pull the trigger on the Sectors when I realized I could buy both Michelins for the cost of one Sector, and I wasn't even sure if the sectors would fit my frame.

Maybe I'll just keep an eye out for the Sectors if they go on sale, then I'll grab them up.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

IRC roadlite or better still IRC formula Pro RBCC tyres. Both make the pro4's seem like they were made in dark ages and they are pretty good for a clincher too. On my commutor bike my RBCC front tyre have over 9000km on them and barly worn, the rear RBCC wore out at 7000km and the new tyre (fusion X-guard) has 2000km on it and not even close to worn. I am 82kg and the bike is 14kg more if the panniers are loaded.

Good tubeless tyres will cost more than your pro4's but the difference is night and day. if you have ever ridden a MTB with good tyres and inner tubes and the same bike with good tubeless tyres you will know what I mean.

the pro ones are probably the worst choice for longevity. The Maxxis pardone is meant to be a bit like the IRC roadlite. not sure how long they last though. The roadlites wear very slowly.

boysa

by boysa

I also found the Michelin to be a great clincher tire, but I agree wholeheartedly on the IRC RBCC. They are fantastic tires. To be honest, I think they are light-years ahead of the Pro Ones. Better feel, better handling, better grip, longer lasting. They really are the best tubeless I've found... by far.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

WinterRider

by WinterRider

boysa wrote:I also found the Michelin to be a great clincher tire, but I agree wholeheartedly on the IRC RBCC. They are fantastic tires. To be honest, I think they are light-years ahead of the Pro Ones. Better feel, better handling, better grip, longer lasting. They really are the best tubeless I've found... by far.

LOL... NOW you guys tell me this AFTER I have the One's installed.... :noidea: But this is why we read along... the IR RBCC's will get a good look at time to replace.

by Weenie

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Dont worry that time will come soon enough.