tube tape coming loose

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deelymc

by deelymc

To begin with I live in Hong Kong and my LBS owner has limited English abilities. Long story short, I have a pair of Vittoria Corsa G+ tubulars on Easton AC90 aero wheels. I'm not sure which tape was used. Everything was fine for several months. When I came home from a month long vacation the tyres were deflated, latex tubes, and I noticed the tyres were peeling back from the rim. When pulling slightly on the tyres I can see the Vittoria brand name on the bottom of the tyre.

I have two questions.
Can they be reattached with new tape? I have Mariposa tape.
The rear wheel needs truing. Can I remove the tyres and then reattach?

I was originally going to have the tyres glued on, but the meaning was lost in translation with the shop owner and the tyres were taped on...

Thx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

caveat: i've never used tape, only glue..

perhaps the base tape (which has a coating) had picked up some grease so that it never had a good bond?

you could try inflating to full pressure, leave for a day, then deflate, see if the pressure has stuck them again, if not then you'll need to redo

yes you can remove and reglue/retape a tub, when removing take care not to tear/separate the base tape

deelymc

by deelymc

Thanks, I inflated them and will check them tomorrow.

I still need to true the back wheel and the spoke nipples are hidden in the rim...I am starting to think I should have bought the clincher version.

dj97223

by dj97223

You could glue the wheels yourself once you remove the tape. It is pretty easy. There is a lot of information on this site about how to do so.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”